Engine swap diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine swap diesel

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFree Shipping on Soft ShacklesNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 04-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #1
StephenJTick

Engine swap diesel

Know this is probably a detailed response, but thinking about swapping out the stock engine for a Diesel engine. What are the advantages and what brand or type should I be looking at?

StephenJTick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Detailed response? Lol!!! J/k... Can't wait to see if Chrysler goes with the reported 2.5 diesel.
79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Utah_Jay

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cj7amc304auto
Detailed response? Lol!!! J/k... Can't wait to see if Chrysler goes with the reported 2.5 diesel.
If Chrysler decides to go with this engine be prepared to pay $60,000 plus for a wrangler
Unread 04-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

I love my jk... I doubt that Chrysler will come thru with a MUCH better jeep. I'd consider renting one though from time to time.
79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is it a jeep ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenJTick View Post
Know this is probably a detailed response, but thinking about swapping out the stock engine for a Diesel engine. What are the advantages and what brand or type should I be looking at?
JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

1st any swap MUST meet the epa stuff (smog etc) for the year of manufacture. You cant stuff a GMC 4-71 under there as that is NOT electronic direct injected - required from 2009 on. SO you are limited to EDI and that limits you even further - maybe fiat has a diesel approved for USA. Not sure.

There are conversions available from Bruiser - Cummins 3.9L 4BT for 07-11, Cummins 3.9 ISB (common rail) for 07-Current or the 3.8L ISF 11-current - shoot them an email and inquire as to cost before you spend a lot of grey matter and time researching the low end alternatives...
80-100 hrs labor (6000). Plus engine (5000new) plus conversion kit (1000) plus small parts.
So I would guess 7-12K depending on engine (used or new)
AND - mounts to sump is deeper on the cummins - you will need at least 4" lift to clear oil pan at axle - and will not have a whole lot of uptravel... another 4K.
So unless your budget is 10-15K why pipe dream?

Of course you've already spent that on oil this year right?
Unread 04-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
Mac7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenJTick View Post

Bruiser, give them a call. 15,000-20,000$.
Unread 04-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac7 View Post
Bruiser, give them a call. 15,000-20,000$.
Wow... did I underbid or what...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.