Engine oil leak! Front diff sweatl leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine oil leak! Front diff sweatl leak

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Mr.Unlimited
2008 JK Wrangler 

Engine oil leak! Front diff sweatl leak

What gives here!
How many have had an issue with an oil leak? Its leaking in 2 spots unless its spreading as it drips. Its coming from the rear part of the engine. My fear, its the rear main seal. My front diff is also leaking but not dripping.
50 Km or 30,000miles exactly. This jeep has been a daily driver for my wife since day one. It has never seen a trail or off road adventures.
I am going to get my ramps to look further.

2008 SAHARA Jeep Wrangler 4dr Unlimited (JK),
RedRock Pearl,18 inch Rims,Side Airbags
Infinity Sound System/SubWoofer
Hard & Soft Top
Mr.Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Mr.Unlimited
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just checked closer. Its where the tranny meets the engine however, I noticed a small drip at the oil filter so I a wonder if its leaking back to the engine? That p1sses me off when I see the mess that the dealership makes with the dumb kids working in those oil change bays. Thats it for me! I am doing it myself where I know it gets done right. I usully follow the around my vehicle to make sure its done right. I even had one jacka$$ try and attempt to just drop the hood to close it. If it wasn't for me standing on the other side of the hood stopping him.....*#@!**!
Well, in she goes in the morning just to be sure.

Hard & Soft Top

Last edited by Mr.Unlimited; 09-07-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Unread 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
DirtMerchant
2007 JK Wrangler 

Good luck. I had mine in for a rear main seal, and shortly after that, an input shaft seal leak.

The rear main seal leak was so bad, that in a normal 3K mile cycle, i lost 4 out of 6 quarts. the input shaft seal leak looked to be the same thing, with "sweat" marks around the rear main, but, it was coming from above.

not fun by any means. hope that they take care of it for you.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
08blkjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

I had the rear main replaced a couple of weeks ago, still leaking. Going in for another problem later this week, gonna have them take another look at the seal again.
08blkjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

+1 on a rear main seal. I assume that is what it is, anyway. Right at the flywheel cover. It's a very small leak, but it will be fixed before the warranty is up!
Layth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Mr.Unlimited
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
Good luck. I had mine in for a rear main seal, and shortly after that, an input shaft seal leak.

The rear main seal leak was so bad, that in a normal 3K mile cycle, i lost 4 out of 6 quarts. the input shaft seal leak looked to be the same thing, with "sweat" marks around the rear main, but, it was coming from above.

not fun by any means. hope that they take care of it for you.
YEP! Thats what it is. The rear main seal!.
I wonder how many of us are facing this problem?
Its bullsh1t if you ask me. My 04 dodge ram Hemi with 149,000km runs like a charm with no leaks. I still wish they would of went with the diesels for us to choose rather than just Europe, or at least the bigger 4.0L they put in the Nitro's and Minivans or even the 3.5L.

Hard & Soft Top
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Holy moly. A lot of issues here. I guess I have to go look at mine.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #8
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have to assume that Chrysler is using oil seal technology which is also being use by the other car makers.. Keep in mind a lot of these seal suppliers are common to all power-train manufacturers..

A very important variable is how the oil seal journal has been manufactured, heat treated and finished (grinding technology is very key to the seal pumping effect).. Also this process needs to be very well controlled..

The assembly of the seal over the shaft needs a lot of care as well.. Special sleeves and/or tools are used to avoid small nicks, tears or better, damages, to the sealing lip..

Sloppy assembly conditions will create issues and rest assured this comes with batches..The weeper/leak will only manifest itself after so many hours running.. In plant leak test will only detect gross leakers not the fine weepers. Hence the importance to have rigid and disciplined processes and controls.
As I mentioned in some other posts, the latter seems to be a serious issue with Chrysler..

Whenever you ask the dealer to replace seals, just ask how they do it and to review the shaft journals for seal lip grooving, heat marks, nicks edges etc...

Just some background music on this issue..
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Have your dealer look at TSB 09-008-07...a lot of these supposed rear main seal leaks are actually misdiagnosed and are originating from a porous front cover casting. The rear main seal on these is a one piece seal with a garter spring (like a wheel bearing/hub seal) and it's actually pretty reliable.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Have your dealer look at TSB 09-008-07...a lot of these supposed rear main seal leaks are actually misdiagnosed and are originating from a porous front cover casting. The rear main seal on these is a one piece seal with a garter spring (like a wheel bearing/hub seal) and it's actually pretty reliable.
I thought mine was leaking at the rear main seal. After cleaning and close inspection, I thought it was spreading from the oil filter adapter. More cleaning and inspection revealed it was coming from the porous timing chain cover, above the oil filter.
The dealer replaced the timing chain cover under warranty. No more leaks!
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Mr.Unlimited
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I thought mine was leaking at the rear main seal. After cleaning and close inspection, I thought it was spreading from the oil filter adapter. More cleaning and inspection revealed it was coming from the porous timing chain cover, above the oil filter.
The dealer replaced the timing chain cover under warranty. No more leaks!
I took in theTSB to show the service tech and he was pretty greatful although I did tell him that this info is available to the mechanic. Anyway, the mechanic is going to replace the front timing cover from first to see if that will halt the leak before tackling the Rear main seal. I personally would rather they do that first so they don't have to start ripping everything apart.
They also relaced my front diff seal and changed the oil under warranty too.

Hard & Soft Top
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #12
NE Wrangling

the best thing to do is to completely clean off the engine after a oil change and insert a dye kit. Old School but the right way to detect the leaks. More than likely if it is a 2007 it is the timing cover leak at minimum.

rear seal is possible. Also take the airfilter hose off at the throttle body and look inside to see if it is covered in oil. If so change the PCV valve as it's no good.
NE Wrangling is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.