Engine Noise/Knocking. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Noise/Knocking.

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #1
Fierdon
2008 JK Wrangler 

Engine Noise/Knocking.

So, my Jeep has been sitting for a few weeks now. Just before that, on my way home on the interstate, getting off on the ramp I heard a knocking noise coming from the engine. I checked the oil and it was low, so I topped it off and the noise isn't as loud, but it is still slightly noticeable. I'm guessing that there is probably some damage, perhaps a rod? But I'm no mechanic and not sure what I'm in for. I was told by a buddy that if there is a bent rod it would sound like that and I could be looking at a new motor.. I haven't had the Jeep long, I bought it used from a local dealership and have barely put any mileage on it.

Any input is appreciated, hope I'm not in for an expensive repair, as I cannot afford it.

Fierdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

How low was the oil. If you ran it too low you could have spun a bearing or other internal damage, it would need a rebuild.
BruceM1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, you don't say how many miles onit/how long you've hadit/w warranty-etc-

Likely a burned/compromised rod BEARING and notta bent rod---unless you ran thru some deep water-

Not enough info, but my guess is, if you can't use your warranty (30/60/90 day)--yes it'll be expensive !

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Fierdon
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM1964 View Post
How low was the oil. If you ran it too low you could have spun a bearing or other internal damage, it would need a rebuild.
Like very low, below the low mark on the dipstick. I'm guessing it may have a bad ring as I've seen no oil under it nor have I smelled any oil in the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Well, you don't say how many miles onit/how long you've hadit/w warranty-etc-

Likely a burned/compromised rod BEARING and notta bent rod---unless you ran thru some deep water-

Not enough info, but my guess is, if you can't use your warranty (30/60/90 day)--yes it'll be expensive !

Good luck

JIMBO
Sorry, just got home from a long shift at work. It has 65k~ miles on it. I've owned it about five months now. Haven't even put 3k miles on it yet. Warranty is out, of course.
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

"Ouch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierdon View Post
Like very low, below the low mark on the dipstick. I'm guessing it may have a bad ring as I've seen no oil under it nor have I smelled any oil in the exhaust.

Sorry, just got home from a long shift at work. It has 65k~ miles on it. I've owned it about five months now. Haven't even put 3k miles on it yet. Warranty is out, of course.
If it is a bad rod brg (probably is) then since you're not in the middle of Arabia--you'll probably have to have the complete engine replaced--

The 3.8l v6 is famous for burning oil and showing NO SIGNS ofit !

You gotta have a GOOD shop/mechanic checkitout !

Good luck

JIMBO
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
gjeffers72
2007 JK Wrangler 

Im not positive but i thought the least warranty was 70000. Thats what my 07 had.....no?
gjeffers72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yeah that sounds too low, like Jim has said take it to a competent mechanic to diagnose but once you spin a bearing it's done, the toothpaste is out of the tube.
BruceM1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, thats funny-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM1964 View Post
Yeah that sounds too low, like Jim has said take it to a competent mechanic to diagnose but once you spin a bearing it's done, the toothpaste is out of the tube.
"The toothpaste is outta the tube"

Kinda like--you can't close all the drawers, your 6 shooters running on 5 and you ain't gotta 6-pack--NoMo !

Sorry, hope you'll find something LESSER causing that knock !

JIMBO
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjeffers72 View Post
Im not positive but i thought the least warranty was 70000. Thats what my 07 had.....no?
It's probably 3 year/36,000 miles for non-original owners.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Double Dog
Back from da stinkin' box

2007 JK Wrangler 

So your choice is to get it worked on or to drive it until it drops dead, correct? If it is not critical you have it all the time, drive it till it drops. Just sayin'.
Double Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #11
Fierdon
2008 JK Wrangler 

So, found out it will need a new motor, which is about $5k including labor. Anyone know if the dealership I bought it from can be held accountable for selling me a defective vehicle? Apparently mine isn't the only one someone has bought from that particular dealership that had had major issued. I bought it back in October.
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierdon View Post
So, found out it will need a new motor, which is about $5k including labor. Anyone know if the dealership I bought it from can be held accountable for selling me a defective vehicle? Apparently mine isn't the only one someone has bought from that particular dealership that had had major issued. I bought it back in October.
Impossible to prove and there is no lemon law or warranty so your most likely SOL.You'd spend as much if not more then what a engine replacement would cost on the lawyer alone.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.