Engine Malfunction Light came on & Stays On - Rubi Loses Power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Malfunction Light came on & Stays On - Rubi Loses Power

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-18-2007, 06:21 AM   #1
YoungTurk

Engine Malfunction Light came on & Stays On - Rubi Loses Power

Yesterday afternoon, while driving in city traffic at around 30 mph, all of a sudden, I lost all power, all the dash lights came on and the red lighnting bolt warning light (which is the Electronic Throttle Control, ETC) starting flashing, and the Engine Malfunction light came on solid.The engine continued to run, but it was running terribly and idled very rough. I stopped the car in a median on the road, pulled out the owners manual and read the meaning of the codes. I drove the car very slowly to a store my family was headed to about 2 miles away, parked outside and turned the motor off while I studied the manual some more.

I called the dealer and their service department was just closing for the weekend. After about 10 minutes of my wife's shopping, I fired up the motor again, and it seemed to be running perfectly again but the Engine Malfunction light remained on, solid. I drove to my home, about 10 miles away, and the Rubi drove like normal on the highway.

I fired up the motor a couple more times yesterday evening while washing and waxing it and it seemed to be running normally but the EML light remained on, solid. Other than the one time, the red ETC light never came back on or flashed.

This is a January built Rubicon. What should I do when I take it in in first thing Monday morning. Even though I am a January build, am I still flash-eligible?

Will the fact that the EML light has stayed on solid throughout facilitate the obtaining of the OBD codes and help the tech diagnose the problem?

YoungTurk

Unread 02-18-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
nota4re

YoungTurk,

You experienced some kind of fault with a critical sensor that the ECU uses for engine management. When the fault occured, the ECU immediately went into what is often called "limp mode". This is a mode where the ECU is running pre-programmed default parameters (not relying on external sensors) and is intended to help you get the Jeep to a safe location.

By cycling the engine off and back on again, the ECU performed a brief sensor test and detected that all is well and started running normally again. The GOOD news is that your engine light is on which is merely reminding you that it has stored the error (which sensor or sensors it detected were bad) as well as some supporting data that can help your dealer diagnose the problem. Whatever you do, don't try to do anything to reset this light until your dealer has had a chance to download the stored data which will hopefully lead them to the cause of the problem.

'07 White 4-door Rubi
nota4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

I just had a similar problem. 2500 miles logged, going 70mph on freeway, I suddenly lost power, every light on dash lit up, then suddenly reset and I regained power again. All of this took place within 3 seconds of elapsed time and I continued to roll to my destination uninterrupted. I never had to pull over or anything. It just corrected itself. This was a bit un-nerving to say the least.
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
jksr1

I had same f'n problem

Mine happened after an update to the abs system. I hope this is not a flash problem and I was updated to the same one you have. I think I would rather have some undetected abs problem not complete engine failer. I am sure I will be in for a new update down the road
jksr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You lose power because the ECU goes into a pre-mapped timing/fuel curve when the CEL is on as a precautionary measure

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
jarettms

Should the throttle problem be a recal

I was on the highway at 75 mph with the cruise control on and all of a sudden the cruise shut off, my electronic throttle light started blinking, and the stability control light came on. It was quite disconcerting and in my opinion, unsafe. I am glad that my wife was not driving. I think that this should be reported to safercar.gov.
jarettms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
jarettms

Reported electronic throttle issue to safecar.gov

I went ahead and reported the issue since this seems to be far from an isolated issue. I classified it as "speed control:throttle"
jarettms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 04:25 AM   #8
YoungTurk

Update to my original post - After 10 days in the shop, and a replaced electronic throttle body, only to have the problem recur the following day, dealer discovered a bad pin connection in a wire harness near the front right of the hood. This bad connection could have caused a short which could have led to the throttle body's failure.

He disconnected the harness, checked the pin connectors, checked the tension at each connector and the harness, and after being satisfied all was well with the harness, carefully reconnected the pin. After 4 different test drives by the dealer, he pronounced it fixed and returned it to me yesterday. Seems to be running great. Hope it continues as I really, really love my Jeep.

YoungTurk
Unread 03-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
1-2-many-NOT
2002 WJ 

"IF" you have trouble again, tell the dealer that I had the same problem and I was told it was the powertrain control module (brain) which they replaced. So far I've had my vehicle back 5 days and have not had a problem since.

I love my jeep too!
1-2-many-NOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
1-2-many-NOT
2002 WJ 

Back again. My ETC light came on once since the replacement of the Powertrain module. Now today, the Engine Malfunction light came on. To me, there is a difference in sound of the engine as well. Turned the ignition on and off several times and it stays on (not flashing) and a bell rings for me to see it in case I hadn't. Also, I noticed that my RPM's were higher than normal, and when I turned the O/D off and on, there was no difference. In fact, when coasting down a hill, my speedometer and RPM's both climbed at the same rate and my foot was not even on the gas. I thought maybe bad gas, but that shouldn't screw with the RPM's??

Will be calling the dealer tomorrow for sure, have a road trip coming up next week and I don't need the problems. I'll let everyone know what they found this time.
Unread 03-25-2007, 05:21 PM   #11
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

see My Signature!

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorer
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.