Engine Bay cleaning. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Bay cleaning.

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Engine Bay cleaning.

I just got my JK back from the shop. Everything is covered in mud. I'd like to hose out the engine bay. What needs to be covered/not to get wet?

Vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Just be careful of getting too much water in the intake. You might even want to stuff a rag in the air box opening and then blast away. Everything under the hood can take water without problems.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
jeepcache
2010 JK Wrangler 

make sure if you use a pressure washer to avoid full pressure on electrical components
jeepcache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Just be careful of getting too much water in the intake. You might even want to stuff a rag in the air box opening and then blast away. Everything under the hood can take water without problems.
LOL! That's why she was in the shop to begin with and why I have mud everywhere. Thanks. I popped the hood and was about to take out the hose when for some reason the ESP caught my eye. I was like, "I wonder if I should get this wet..."
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
make sure if you use a pressure washer to avoid full pressure on electrical components
Just a regular hose. Thanks.
Unread 09-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
ncb

Press and seal (food wrap) works good for sealing items before cleaning. Aluminum foil too, if it's not covering anything that could possibly arc. Simple Green works great. I spray the SG when the engine is cool, and let it soak for 15 minutes. Then I start the engine and rinse the engine with low pressure water.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

Engine Bright is great for the greasy stuff.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
LOL! That's why she was in the shop to begin with and why I have mud everywhere. Thanks. I popped the hood and was about to take out the hose when for some reason the ESP caught my eye. I was like, "I wonder if I should get this wet..."
Iíve been washing all my Jeep and cars for quite a few years now exactly like I described above and never once had a problem. Usually I spray the engine and underside of the front with Engine Gunk prior to hosing it all off. Now if your thinking I meant to go to one of those pay washers your wrong. My water source comes from the garden hose with nozzle set to jet spray.
Getting mud into the electrical parts prior to hosing it off is a different animal all together.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
jonballi
2012 JK Wrangler 

Simple Green is your friend. I use it on all my engines. 1 it's not toxic, 2 it will not etch any aluminum, 3 it's totally safe on all rubber and plastic and it does a GREAT job degreasing.
jonballi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
awkragt
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wouldn't getting it steam cleaned be the safest options and get it the most clean?

I normally just use the garden hose, and I used a de-greaser at one point, but it never makes the engine bay look like new. Heck I don't even know if a steam clean would make it look like new.
http://kragt.blogspot.com
awkragt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
trevor73402

Who does Engine steam cleaning besides dealerships? I'd certainly pay to have my vehicle "dealership" clean every couple of months, but your not going to find any small time detail shops that are going to be able to get your jeep that clean.
trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #12
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

turn the car on and let it get to about half temp before you do it. dont let it get too hot. quarter way up the temp gauge and turn it off.

i spray everything... just dont stay on the intake, battery, fuse box too long. because of the little bit of heat it will evaporate fairly quickly. but not too hot where everything will smoke and steam up..

just dont directly shoot the wires (for too long) and use some common sense.

should be fine.. especially if its a little warm
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Been 4yrs now pressure washing the Engine comp. just don't soak the air box or alt/fuse box you should be fine . I took all the elec. connectors apart and put dielectric grease in them ...........
ALL's fine and should be for many years to come .
My long time buddy (last love vehicle) had over 760,000km on it with the same treatment .. no worries .. no problem
Just don't over do it ................
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 02:33 AM   #14
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

A toilet brush works well for getting in all of those nooks and crannies
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips guys. The backstory is that last weekend I hydrolocked my engine and sent a rod through the block, so my JK has been at Jeep getting a new engine. She was all muddy from the offroading I was doing, and when I got her home yesterday, I popped the hood and saw I had mud everywhere, so I was just looking to hose off the mud and getting her more presentable. I used to detail cars, so I know enought to throw a plastic bag over the distributor, but the I saw the ESP and was wondering if I needed to cover that area also (even though there are signs of muddy water there too) Anyways, that's for all the insight, today is Jeep cleaning day.

Tags
engine cleaning , JK Wrangler , washing under the hood , water under the hood , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.