Emergency brake shoe install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Emergency brake shoe install

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 04-21-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
yfzandy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Emergency brake shoe install

The other day I bought some new rotors and e brake shoes. When I went to install them I made sure the brake lever was down all the way and I took the star adjuster all the way in. My problem is when I installed the rotor the shoes were really tight going on. One side went on snug, but once I got all the way in it was fine. The other side on the other hand went on tight all the way and once I got it on it was so tight I could not turn the rotor at all. My question is what did I do wrong. I have read a few threads and people are saying that there is no adjustment on the cable at all. Like I said before I had the star adjuster all the way in and the brake lever down all the way? Can anyone help me out on this one. Thanks

yfzandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

My past experiences with drum brakes, I've always set them with some drag to "burn" them in a bit which would give you nice tight e-brake. This could be the same idea being used from the manufacturer, especially since you have everything adjusted to its max.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
yfzandy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just don't understand why one side is fine and the other is tight when they are both run off of the same length of cable and same lever. I paid $150.00 Cdn. for them, so I don't really want to wear them out that quick. Thanks for the reply, but is there anyone else that has any thoughts on this.
Unread 04-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
plk457
2007 JK Wrangler 

There is adjustment at both rotors for both e brake tensions...if that makes sense. The star adjuster that you mentioned did you do teh same thing for both sides? If not that should be your problem.
plk457 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
yfzandy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up reusing the adjusters and I did make sure both were turned all the way in. I had to clean them up, but they are both in good shape.
Unread 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone have pictures of the adjusters for the ebrake? Mine ultra loose, and I need to dial them in a lot I imagine.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown303 View Post
Does anyone have pictures of the adjusters for the ebrake? Mine ultra loose, and I need to dial them in a lot I imagine.
Go here to see how the lever works.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...study-1061720/
The lever gets a new grip on the cable every time you use it.
Here is a pic of the adjusters.

Here is a pic of the access to the adjuster without removing the drum. A little more difficult to do, but can be done.

ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
Unknown303
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks! I think my handle is still in good working order, I just have to crank it way to far to get the brake to engage... Might have to replace the pads now that I think of it.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
yfzandy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is there anyone out there that has replaced their own rotors and e brake shoes? I installed mine and there is one side that is still getting hot after I installed it and the adjuster is all the way in. I have read that there is no adjustment on the cable, so what have I done wrong.
Unread 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #10
spedly
2011 JK Wrangler 

Do you by chance have a lift on the jeep and the e-brake cables still attached to the body? I did shoes on a local guy's because when he lifted the cables got pulled tight and were dragging the shoes all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.