Emergency Brake pop - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ronjenx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Gearhead1941
2007 JK Wrangler 

Emergency Brake pop

I'm new to the forum so let me just dive right in with a question. I bought a 2007 JK a few weeks ago and I am weeding through the problems the previous owner left me. One is the e-brake. It would not even hold when I first got the Jeep. I had to adjust it at the axle, but now when I pull up it seems to "pop" out of place half-way up then catch again. It holds but it is almost extended all the way. anyone had this issue? Thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 07:48 PM
neverhide34
2011 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. This actually happens from time to time with my 2011. It won't catch or only catch half way sometimes. It's like a sweet spot thing for me. Not natural but no big problems yet. Don't know what to tell you.

Try letting it roll forward a few inches while yanking it. It might be a sweet spot thing for you too...

Keep Calm, Chive On
post #3 of 11 Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 PM
wilywillie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine has NEVER held. With the handle all the way up, I can still push it both ways. LOTS of JK's have this problem!
Today, I pulled the rear wheels after I got jack stands under it. Pulled the brake calipers off (2x18mm each-set them on control arms), and pulled the rotors off.
Sprayed and scrubbed the e-brake shoes and inside the rotors with brake-kleen, tightened the star wheels, put it all back together, and it was even worse than when I started!
This evening I ran into a friend who's a Porsche mechanic, and we talked about a little about it. (My JK has a Daimler trans, and I'm pretty sure other things were inspired by well-designed German autos) Turns out Porshes have a similar e-brake system...so tomorrow I get to pull it all apart again, and tighten the starwheels the OTHER direction, until the shoes are tight against the the inside rotors....then back off 4 clicks.
Sorry for the long-winded rant, but my e-brake issue are almost a SAGA. Check this forum and the other Jeep forum for JK's. There have been a few write-ups on how to adjust the e-brake. Hope this helps

And Welcome to Jeep Forum!

I'm just here for the gasoline. --Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
pizzle

2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing ('08 JKUR). I just ease it up a few clicks at a time and it seems to avoid the "popping out" issue. Haven't taken anything apart yet to inspect further. I tried the "self adjusting" technique but I can't say it really made any difference.

2008 JKUR
2005 LJ (sold)
1997 TJ (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Lifted 4-doors give me wood.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Gearhead1941
2007 JK Wrangler 

@ pizzle - That is exactly what mine does. Sometimes if I go a bit too far it pops. I found a "parking brake control" at JeepOEMparts.com for $40. There is no picture so I don't know if its the whole assembly, but the price seems reasonable. I'll do more research. Thanks for all the input guys!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Jeepedjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've had the same thing happen to me I have an 08 and every time I pull it up sometimes it pops and sometimes it just does not grab at all. My solution is to leave it in first gear or reverse depending upon the incline positive or negative.

One-time my fiancÚ got in and turn the key while in gear and she drove over the curb and into a ditch. she was pissed at me but hey you got to do What you got do.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If your parking brake lever doesn't grab sometimes, or it pops, try cleaning the clutch spring with brake cleaner. Stick the tube through the brush seal in the console, and apply lots of cleaner. Let it dry. See if it improves performance.

propped1 likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-14-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Gearhead1941
2007 JK Wrangler 

@ ronjenx

Brake clean was just what it needed. I spray a liberal amount all inside e-brake hole. Fixed problem. THX!

Jeeple are the best People around.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-06-2015, 06:51 AM
onecleanxj

I don't mean to bring up an old forum, but I didn't see many solutions to this problem. The clicking happened to me and all I had to do was use brake cleaner as mentioned above and it solved the issue!
post #10 of 11 Old 05-06-2015, 07:54 AM
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 2012 JK did this and it sort of stopped doing it all of a sudden. I didn't do a thing but trade er in to the dealer.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-18-2017, 01:08 PM
terpsmandan
2009 JK Wrangler 

Gotta love Jeep Forum. My 09 was properly adjusted at the rear but the handle worked intermittently. The cable drum kept rotating toward the front of the Jeep. When I pushed it back with a screwdriver it would set the brake at 4-6 clicks but the next time I pulled it change the engagement point. Reading this I realized that the clutch spring is slipping on the cable drum. Just sprayed it out with brake cleaner. Seems to be working better now. Thanks ronjenx.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.