Electronic Stability Control - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Electronic Stability Control

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
bubbyjeep1

Electronic Stability Control

This is a nightmare...

I have a 2013 jku 5000 mi, 4" lift, 35's, and *3.23* gears

I went offroading for the first time on a friend's place where there were some hills, some small drops, nothing serious i thought. I never turned off the ESC (I don't know if i should have or not). At the very start, i went into a hole too fast, got stuck and four wheel drive got us out. I had to put it in four wheel drive a couple others times to get me out of a hole that i went into much slower. I got cocky and did a couple donuts (I am a dumb kid and I know). Sure enough the ESC (Electronic Stability Control) warning light started flashing and it hasn't gone off since. It is the only light on. In the manual it says something along the lines of "after driving several miles and the light remains on, take it to the dealership." Since then I've driven probably 50 mi.

I know I ought to take it by the dealer but my question is what should i be expecting? How serious? Is this the 3.23's coming back to haunt me? Is it possible there is no malfunction and the light will turn off any day now?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

bubbyjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You are going to have to give this group a lot more info for a meaningful answer. Make of lift, parts included, etc. An why in hell are your trying to run 35s with 3.23 gears? Did you mean 3.73 or something else?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Press the button twice.
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Keep it in 4wd when offroad,4low is best.
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #5
bubbyjeep1

I am tracking down each specific part now
bubbyjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

sounds like a wire might have been pulled from a hub sensor. might want to check those.
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

You can try disconnecting the battery to see if it will clear. If disconnecting the battery does not clear the light take it to the dealer. I don't think it has anything to do with your gears. Mine 2011 light will come on sometimes and not go out until I stop and shut the eng off and restart, dealer says probably a wheel sensor malfunction. Try the battery and see what happens.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #8
AaronVZ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Check the wheel speed sensors. My guess is one got damaged.
AaronVZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #9
Dirtay_Harry
2012 JK Wrangler 

Try holding down the ESC button for 5 sec til you hear a beep then turn it back on
Dirtay_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
SubAtomicGenius
2011 JK Wrangler 

Or you might have simply bent up something up front or knocked your steering out of alignment.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #11
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

Are all 4 tires at reasonably similar pressures? If they are out of wack it could trip the ESP. Easy thing to check and address if it is the case good luck!

Also wash everything down real good. Long shot, usually only helps with break indicator light issues after the trail but if you need to bring it in some place, you'll be glad you did.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

My first thought was alignment as well. Who did the suspension install? What parts did you change/upgrade? Was everything retorqued after initial install?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.