Electrical Problem - JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical Problem - JK

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 11-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Suncat
2007 JK Wrangler 

Electrical Problem - JK

My 2007 4dr. has been at the dealership for two weeks while they have been trying to fix a problem with my driver's side fog light. When I turn it on, it will come on with the passenger side light, but will stop working soon after. The timing is not consistent. Sometimes it stops working immediately, other times it will stay on for a while.

So far they have replaced the fog light unit, the wiring, ground wires, and operating module. They are calling Chrysler daily..... for swaptronics help.

Does anyone have any suggestions?????

1968 WAGONEER - RIP

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...vfolderid=2007
Suncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
CGScotty
Straight And To The Point

2007 JK Wrangler 

Its a loose connection somewhere. I would start at the fuse.
Scotty
CGScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Laxstar46

it could be a loose connection but here's some advice. GET RID OF IT. my family has had vehicles with electrical issues they never end well or get better. I say trade it in on a different jeep because just trust me electrical issues = giant pain in a hole
1997 Jeep TJ Wrangler. 2.5L four cylinder with Five speed manual..... biggest POS i've ever owned. Will be replaced at the end of this month with a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500. Jeep no more baby couldn't be happier
Laxstar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
Unlimitedboy87
2007 JK Wrangler 

Electrical!

I just picked up my Unlimited last monday, and it has done this over a dozen times since! It only seems to do it when i am leaving from a light or stop sign, but its doing the exact same thing as yours! My dealer basically said they couldnt help me, if you get yours fixed, let me know what it was, so i can get this issue fixed!
Unlimitedboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Suncat
2007 JK Wrangler 

Unlimitedboy87,
They have had the Jeep two weeks. When I talked with them, they have Chrysler working on it. They reproduced the problem with a Jeep on the floor. They believe the module is loosing a reference voltage and that is causing the lights to blink or not work.
I will know more on Monday.... Once the figure it out, the fix will be a simple programming change.
1968 WAGONEER - RIP

Unread 12-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It is so stupid to have something like foglights be partially controlled by the computer. What was wrong with having things wired to a switch and a power source?
Unread 12-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
naplesrubicon
2008 JK Wrangler 

anyone remember the movie where the computer got pissed and started killing all the people in spaceship i think they are going to start using the same thing in 2009 models
naplesrubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Suncat
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well I got the Jeep back today. The problem is not fixed but it is better than it was. Now if a light stops working, shutting the lights off an turning them back on solves the problem. Chrysler is still working on the problem. It appears to be a failure to maintain the desired voltage in the module that runs the lights. I'll keep everyone posted.
1968 WAGONEER - RIP

Unread 12-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
pitcoken
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
It is so stupid to have something like foglights be partially controlled by the computer. What was wrong with having things wired to a switch and a power source?
Not long after the invention of the transistor the applications became too complex to implement because of the number of discrete connections required. This situation was referred to as The Tyranny of Numbers. This led to the invention of the integrated circuit which reduced point-to-point wiring many fold. A similar Tyranny descended upon the auto industry as the bells and whistles grew. The solution? The CAN bus! Literally thousands of feet of wiring have been eliminated and we get more value for our money.
pitcoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
jeeparoo
2008 JK Wrangler 

this is all true except that very few auto techs are truly trained in sorting out and troubleshooting BUS based system issues.. oftentimes communications issues can be caused by a myriad of other small things.. noise on the lines, a floated ground somewhere.. loose connection on a different module injecting errors into the CAN.. or even a software bug because 1 module's firmware may be incompatible with another... the Bus architecture in theory eliminates many issues but old-school techs may not troubleshoot it correctly...

the other nice thing about the CAN bus used in the JK is it appears to be the standard bus used in many other chrysler products, so im imagining that options not available as factory order can be installed and activated by simply adding a module to the bus and having starscan turn it up....

now THATS some cool stuff!
-Christopher
97 TJ Sahara 5sp soft top - mudded,sanded,rocked,sunk(sold)
00 TJ Sport 5 sp soft top - mudded, rolled in a blizzard{no damage except top} (sold)
02 TJ Sport auto soft top - roadtripped,mudded (sold)
06 TJ gold eagle 6 sp soft top- not enough room (sold)

Number 10 million of the 'I Love my JeeP' Club
jeeparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
dmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcoken
Not long after the invention of the transistor the applications became too complex to implement because of the number of discrete connections required. This situation was referred to as The Tyranny of Numbers. This led to the invention of the integrated circuit which reduced point-to-point wiring many fold. A similar Tyranny descended upon the auto industry as the bells and whistles grew. The solution? The CAN bus! Literally thousands of feet of wiring have been eliminated and we get more value for our money.
More value for our money? How's all this gonna' work 5 or 10 years from now. I can wire anything with 12v, but with can-bus....not likely.

Personally, I'd run a new dedicated circuit for the fog lights, and be done with it. I'm beginning to think the powertrain warranty will be totally worthless....it doesn't cover electrical, and that'll be the biggest share of the problems,someday! And, you can bet all these friggin' modules are gonna' be expensive. Will we be able to just replace 'em till we find the one that fixes it, like the dealers do? It would cost a fortune if you didn't guess right the first time or 2, and you can't take anything electrical back, once it's opened.

Screw the can-bus! It's the worst thing they've come up with!
dmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2007, 08:33 PM   #12
wrnglrguy
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know exactly how the fog light wiring is on a JK, BUT, my TJ had a similiar issue when I owned it, except it was both fog lights, not just one. The problem was the fog light switch itself. After it would heat up, it would stop working until it "cooled off". Apparently, this was a known issue with the later model TJ fog light switch (had an '04). I had the exact same problem with an '87 Mustang I owned years ago, but when the fog light switch got hot, it shut ALL the lights off on the car. Anyways, in both of my cases, the fog light switch was replaced and the problem was fixed. Just an idea for something you might try (or have the dealer do) to fix your Jeep. Good luck.
wrnglrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am glad I am not having these issues and I bought mine at a good dealership. I would simply not accept "we know it's broke but don't know how or don't want to fix it, go home, we made money off you when you bought the vehicle, once that transaction was complete our responsibility ended" I would contact Chrysler. If it does not get resolved or you get blown off, I would go see a good lawyer. I know good lawyers may be hard to find, but they are out there. I don't care if you would have bought the vehicle for five dollars, the fact remains they are obligated to repair the vehicle as per the terms of the warranty. If they cannot do so, then they need to see about getting you taken care of by working out a deal with you for a replacement vehicle (buy back, trade in, or what have you) I maintain that there is no reason to not get service that you are entitled to.
Unread 12-24-2007, 06:43 AM   #14
07rubi lemon

Please do not be offended....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
I am glad I am not having these issues and I bought mine at a good dealership. I would simply not accept "we know it's broke but don't know how or don't want to fix it, go home, we made money off you when you bought the vehicle, once that transaction was complete our responsibility ended" I would contact Chrysler. If it does not get resolved or you get blown off, I would go see a good lawyer. I know good lawyers may be hard to find, but they are out there. I don't care if you would have bought the vehicle for five dollars, the fact remains they are obligated to repair the vehicle as per the terms of the warranty. If they cannot do so, then they need to see about getting you taken care of by working out a deal with you for a replacement vehicle (buy back, trade in, or what have you) I maintain that there is no reason to not get service that you are entitled to.
... but BLAH, BLAH BLAH. (not aimed at you) I just went through the whole lemon law thing with an electrical issue after my dealer refused me service because I wrote "Lemon" on my Rubi. Chrysler and the courts will have your head spinning "It's not a safety issue, it's an inconvenience" and the best comment was "If it goes to trial the Judge will throw the case out, you should sue the dealership for failing to fix it NOT Chrysler" When you get stuck with a P O S NOBODY cares. I apologize for the rant
07rubi lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #15
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Then try taking it to other dealerships. If the same results are encountered, then it becomes more apparent it is a Chrysler problem for the judge. While I was in college, I worked at an auto parts store and would deal with warranty issues all the time. It wasn't just small stuff like batteries or starters, but everything, including complete engines or transmissions. We would get into labor claims etc. One time, there was nothing wrong with the engine the customer bought but he was just trying to pull a fast one. In the interest of customer service, the manager offered to replace the engine even though the engine manufactured determined there was nothing wrong with it. He was willing to do it in the interest of getting the customer taking care of. The customer was not satisfied with that and sued us for all kinds of money such as inconvenience, car rental, etc. The customer won the case in court because the judge decided since my manager was willing to swap the engine even though the manufacturer said there was nothing wrong, he was admitting guilt. The judge also happened to be one of those guys that believe that if you are a large corporation, you should always lose in court, especially if you are being sued by "the little guy" regardless of the situation. Even representatives from the engine manufacturer came testify, but that did no good. So we lost the court case, paid for a replacement engine (engine manufacturer did not pay for it), paid for labor, paid for car rentals, paid inconvenience, paid some other things (it's been years, so it's hard to remember), and got zero credit from the manufacturer when we returned the engine to them. Talk about losing big time. I forgot what the actual problem was with the engine, but the customer's complaint wasn't with the engine starting or not starting, running or not running, it was something else. Anyway, it wasn't a safety issue either. With the right lawyer and judge, anything is possible. I hate going about things this way, but sometimes it is necessary.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.