Electrical Dunce - Help needed with SPOD and Arb Compressor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical Dunce - Help needed with SPOD and Arb Compressor

1987-1995 Jeep Wrangler Turn Signal Switch (Wells)1987-1989 Jeep Wrangler Brake Pad & Rotor Kit Semi-Met50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring Kit

Unread 06-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
boydmc85
2008 JK Wrangler 

Electrical Dunce - Help needed with SPOD and Arb Compressor

Yesterday I installed my SPOD and Arb 12 Volt Air Compressor (CKMA12). Physically they are installed but the electrical connections baffle me (or I'm over thinking it).

My purpose for this setup is ONLY for the onboard air. I will not be installing air lockers on this jeep.

In addition to the massive Arb wiring harness, I also have the Arb harness from SPOD. I do not believe that I need to wire the Arb to the battery as this unit only pulls 26 Amps and the spod should support up to 30 amp.

How do I wire this up to make it work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

boydmc85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Vetteguy

the sPod has the rely built in so all you need to do is wire the + & -( from the compressor) to the sPod with the proper fuse.
Vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
boydmc85
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteguy View Post
the sPod has the rely built in so all you need to do is wire the + & -( from the compressor) to the sPod with the proper fuse.

But how about the pressure switch? I can understand running the power straight from the compressor too the SPOD but do I need to do anything with the pressure switch?
Unread 06-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
Vetteguy

OK, I looked into it a little more. You need to run the + of the compressor to the + of the sPod. then run the - of the compressor into one side of the pressure switch then the other side of the pressure switch to the - of the sPod.
Vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 04:59 AM   #5
boydmc85
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteguy View Post
OK, I looked into it a little more. You need to run the + of the compressor to the + of the sPod. then run the - of the compressor into one side of the pressure switch then the other side of the pressure switch to the - of the sPod.
Awesome. Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I'll confirm how this works out in the next day or so when I get a chance to do it.
Unread 06-15-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
ExpoJeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You can't run the circuit through the pressure switch as that switch is rated at only 20 amps. CKMA12 is also fused at 40 amps with a start up current draw (for a few milliseconds) that can approach 100 amps when restarting under load. The easiest way to do the job is to control the ARB harness with the Spod output. You only need the ARB underhood harness and not the dash harness. Hook up the big black and red leads to the battery from the ARB harness. Plug in the included relay into the yellow plug and connect the red and blue wires to the pressure switch on the compressor (doesn't matter which way). Next plug in the compressor motor to the plug with the big red and black leads in it. Lastly find the 4 loose wire on the ARB harness (black, red , green, yellow) and connect the red one to the output circuit off your S-pod. That will turn the compressor on and operate it as designed via the pressure switch and relay in the ARB harness. Running directly off the Spod is pushing it for current capacity and performance of the compressor is likely to suffer as a result along with possibly damaging your Spod.
ExpoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
PhatBasturd
Got chiggers?

1976 CJ7 

^^This.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpoJeep View Post
on the ARB harness (black, red , green, yellow) and connect the red one to the output circuit off your S-pod.
Tie back black, green and yellow (as unused)?
Unread 06-17-2015, 06:51 AM   #9
boydmc85
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpoJeep View Post
You can't run the circuit through the pressure switch as that switch is rated at only 20 amps. CKMA12 is also fused at 40 amps with a start up current draw (for a few milliseconds) that can approach 100 amps when restarting under load. The easiest way to do the job is to control the ARB harness with the Spod output. You only need the ARB underhood harness and not the dash harness. Hook up the big black and red leads to the battery from the ARB harness. Plug in the included relay into the yellow plug and connect the red and blue wires to the pressure switch on the compressor (doesn't matter which way). Next plug in the compressor motor to the plug with the big red and black leads in it. Lastly find the 4 loose wire on the ARB harness (black, red , green, yellow) and connect the red one to the output circuit off your S-pod. That will turn the compressor on and operate it as designed via the pressure switch and relay in the ARB harness. Running directly off the Spod is pushing it for current capacity and performance of the compressor is likely to suffer as a result along with possibly damaging your Spod.
As much as I was trying to avoid using the huge ARB harness, more to just keep everything very clean looking, your comments make a tremendous amount of sense. The last thing that I want to do is burn up the SPOD and/or the compressor. Thank you for the detailed write-up along with others in this thread. I can finally make sense of all of the connectors.
Happy Wheeling!
Unread 06-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #10
ExpoJeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you get lost with any of the wiring on the ARB side just ring them and ask for the Tech Dept. The guys there will walk you through the process as needed.
ExpoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #11
boydmc85
2008 JK Wrangler 

Arb with SPOD install

I'm DONE. I used not only the "long" ARB provided harness but also the SPOD "Arb harness" that I purchased extra and everything came out great. I will say that I shortened the ARB harness where I could (mostly around the battery connection I took off a good 16 inches of unneeded harness). I still ended up with a coil of wire near the SPOD itself. Perhaps one day I'll cut that up and make new connectors for it.

Thank you everyone for your help. Now on to the next project. Happy Jeeping!!!
Unread 06-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #12
IVLIVS

Spod

Call the company at SPOD they will be glad to answer any ?s
IVLIVS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.