Electric windows stop working until key turned??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric windows stop working until key turned???

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
jeeperscrXj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Electric windows stop working until key turned???

Hello,
The electric windows on my 2007 JK will suddenly stop working in one or the other direction - up or down. When I pull over, shut the vehicle off, then re-start it, they work fine again. In two instances to test this, I pulled over just to shut off and restart the vehicle; the vindows immediately worked fine. I am sure this is a computer issue as the door locks sometimes decide to lock at odd and inconsistent times. Can this be simply resolved at home?

Thank you for your help,
JK Justin with XJ too

jeeperscrXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

You may want to disconnect your battery for 20 or 30 minutes and see if that helps. If not, you may need to have it flashed.
Unread 09-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

ditto. Reset the computer first. 30 second disconnect is really all it takes - but this is always a good time to clean, inspect and do other PMs while its disconnected, so usually when I reset its for at least 20 minutes...
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Also have the batery tested.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
68cupe
2008 JK Wrangler 

My 2008 JKU does this every now and then, too. Battery is within a year old new and it still does it. It is the switch itself that is doing it. My original switch LEDs in them went out and mine started doing it. Replaced the switch and never had the issue until these LEDs went out now. I just deal with it best I can. Doesn't do it too often so no harm for me.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
68cupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperscrXj View Post
Hello,
The electric windows on my 2007 JK will suddenly stop working in one or the other direction - up or down. When I pull over, shut the vehicle off, then re-start it, they work fine again. In two instances to test this, I pulled over just to shut off and restart the vehicle; the vindows immediately worked fine. I am sure this is a computer issue as the door locks sometimes decide to lock at odd and inconsistent times. Can this be simply resolved at home?

Thank you for your help,
JK Justin with XJ too
The circuit breaker (CB 1) that protects the window circuits/motors will disconnect when overloaded, and will self-reset only after the Jeep is shut off.

I would look for a reason the circuit is overloading.
Do the motors sound like they are straining or bogging down?
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
68cupe
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine dont. I keep some lithium grease on them every once and a while to keep strain off of motors.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
68cupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
jeeperscrXj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everyone for your comments. These are good suggestions. I will do as suggested and give it a try. Justin
jeeperscrXj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.