EGR system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > EGR system

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

EGR system

I have question about my JK Unlimited.
Is it a good thing to remove the EGR system from this car? I worked on a lot of diesels on which i've seen what EGR does. I have always removed the system on the diesels i owned. But maybe it's different for gas cars?
I always noticed a more smooth running engine and an improvement on gas mileage.

Since i see no EGR-delete kits for these 3.8 engines, i assume that EGR doesn't really do a bad job? Of course making your own EGR-delete is very easy on these things, but i would wonder if the computer freaks out if i do that or that it's just plain useless.

Please discuss

Jos360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

In order to make a kit for the JK, you would have to know what the ECM looks for to know the system is working.

I have not seen much in the way of EGR delete kits for gas engines. Maybe the need for it is not there because it's not as bad for gas engines as it is for diesels.

Regarding what you said about EGR being bad for diesels, I agree, but not as much since ULSD became available.
I got into the computer on my '01 VW TDI and turned the EGR down to the legal low limit. Between that and ULSD, the intake is staying very clean.

I wouldn't delete EGR because it is illegal to do so. It's probably not enforceable, but I still wouldn't do it.

Like I said, you would have to know what the JK ECM looks for when it turns EGR on, so you can fool the computer.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

So your opinion is that the ECM would freak when it sees that the EGR is not connected anymore? Or do i misunderstand you?

It being illegal is not really my worry. It's more an issue that i have no idea how bad EGR is for a gas engine.
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos360 View Post
So your opinion is that the ECM would freak when it sees that the EGR is not connected anymore? Or do i misunderstand you?

It being illegal is not really my worry. It's more an issue that i have no idea how bad EGR is for a gas engine.
Yes, that is my opinion. I strongly believe the JK computer looks for evidence the EGR is actually working, but I don't know it for a fact. It seems I read it looks for a slight roughness or a change in how it runs, but I can't find that reference.

EGR bad for a gas engine? Maybe a slight reduction in performance, but not the clogged intakes like the old diesel fuel would clog a diesel intake.

Edit to add:

Found it: The EGR monitor calculates the difference in engine roughness from the EGR off condition to the EGR condition. This engine combustion stability difference as measured by engine roughness is the measure of a functional EGR system.

You may get this code:P0401-EGR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-15-2010 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: To Add Referenc Statement
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

Maybe i'll disconnect the EGR connector tomorrow morning (after i'm at work ) to check if it gives me an error message.

I guess that a gas engine burns a little cleaner that the old diesels would, but if it would improve mileage by a 10th of a mile per gallon, it would be worth keeping the engine clean i guess...
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

See what I added to my previous post.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.