Ebrake issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ebrake issue

So a little over a year ago I left my ebrake engaged for about a month (didn't know better) and when I went to drive disengaged the the brake and went to drive. Felt some resistance gave it a little more gas and heard a pop if I recall correctly and it rolled away fine... since then no ebrake.... get the same amount of resistance and movement in the handle. But no braking from it.... thoughts?

OEF Vet still serving.
2007 Sahara Unlimited Stock for now
True Story while she was driving my XJ: "Honey hold my slurpee and watch this!"-My wife
www.militaryjeepers.com come check us out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Neo1130
2015 JK Wrangler 

Any weird noises after that, like scraping? I've seen quite a few instances where the shoe material comes off of the shoe causing the same thing you've got... That or the cable broke/stretched.... Have to take it apart to see what's going on...
post #3 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

No noises.got a tutorial?
post #4 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 AM
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

If left engaged, it can form enough surface rust that it sort of breaks free when you first go to drive it again. You may have stretched the cable and just need to adjust the e-brake.

It is like most drum brakes where you use a brake spoon and adjust the star wheel. Here is a link to the process. That said, if you have no knowledge of adjusting the e-brake, have a dealer of mechanic do it. If you over tighten, they can catch fire while driving. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ho...ke-165640.html
post #5 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

I asked a shop to adjust it a while ago, even though they couldnt it worked sorta, then not at all... and want able to get back to the shop to have em take care of it.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 11:31 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

If you're not driving the car, you can definitely leave the ebrake engaged for a month. Heck, I have a pickup in the garage who's ebrake has been on for years at a time with no issue.

Something likely broke, and you (or someone) is going to do some investigating. I would, as an easy check, see if the cables are moving where they go into the drum
post #7 of 11 Old 11-10-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

It was left sitting in the middle of winter, in a foot of snow while I was gone for training for a month. Came home disengaged the lever, felt resistance when I went to back up thought maybe there was snow or ice behind the tire i needed to get over, so gave it some gas. BANG/POP then it started rolling just fine. Still gets normal tension in the handle. Will crawl under and check the cables.

OEF Vet still serving.
True Story while she was driving my XJ: "Honey hold my slurpee and watch this!"-My wife
post #8 of 11 Old 11-12-2015, 07:32 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicbear View Post
So a little over a year ago I left my ebrake engaged for about a month (didn't know better) and when I went to drive disengaged the the brake and went to drive. Felt some resistance gave it a little more gas and heard a pop if I recall correctly and it rolled away fine... since then no ebrake.... get the same amount of resistance and movement in the handle. But no braking from it.... thoughts?
Hey medicbear,

I could not find any service bulletins related to your vehicle. I would advise you to have your vehicle formally diagnosed at an FCA certified dealership. Please, if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to private message me .
post #9 of 11 Old 11-13-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hey medicbear,

I could not find any service bulletins related to your vehicle. I would advise you to have your vehicle formally diagnosed at an FCA certified dealership. Please, if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to private message me .
pm sent

OEF Vet still serving.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 AM
RalphTomaccio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hey medicbear,

I have a 2012 JKU w/manual tranny that needs the brake adjusted about once a year. This seems a little excessive, no? How often are others needing it adjusted or what is typical for most? Being a manual transmission, I rely on it more than those with an automatic.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio View Post
I have a 2012 JKU w/manual tranny that needs the brake adjusted about once a year. This seems a little excessive, no? How often are others needing it adjusted or what is typical for most? Being a manual transmission, I rely on it more than those with an automatic.
Hey RalphTomaccio,

On Pg. 568 of your owner’s manual, under the “Maintenance Schedules” section, it states that brake adjustment (equipped with four-wheel disc brakes) should occur every 32,000 miles or 24 months. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.