Easy Modification But Effective - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Easy Modification But Effective

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #1
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Easy Modification But Effective

If you dont care to wash your JK then this post is not for you SO CLICK HERE TO READ A DIFFERENT POST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

otherwise read on!

I wash my JK Rubicon once a week at a touchless wash, usually on Fridays before the wife and I go out.

One thing I did not like was after it would dry off I got those annoying spots under the side mirrors from the water dripping down. As I drove down the road the water would also spray on the door and looked like I was spitting out the window.

I read on another forum to drill a hole in the plastic mount under the mirrors. So I did it to my JK and wanted to try it and give it a few washes before I made a comment.

IT WORKS GREAT! If you want to do the mod it is worth the small effort.

NOT MY PICTURE

http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1291

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorer
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Kellyoferin

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads-up.

Did you remove mount (so as not to drill into door by accident) before drilling?
Kellyoferin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
cmyjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

i am going to try that on my jk and see how well it works.
cmyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
studdboyz75

thats funny ,I washed and waxed mine this weekend and water just kept coming out of that area. I couldnt understand where it was stored up at.
studdboyz75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

No, per the article the guy said he did remove it on his first mirror but on the second one he just drilled it, You dont drill straight into the bracket but upward, it is very thin plastic so you dont have to go far, in fact, if your nervous about it you can take the drill bit and twist it by hand and it will drill because it is that thin, Take one of those plastic thumb tacks and start the hole. It is very easy.

IT'S A JEEP THING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraexplorer
Thanks, if it is that good than I'm sure that they can't sell it in California. Everything else is illegal in this state except the illegalsl
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
dougolupski
It's Heep not Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Fantastic mod. I am deffinetly going to do that tomorrow. Now I just have to wait another few weeks before I can wash and wax it. Built 05/31/07 need to let the paint cure.
KMC XD 795 Hoss Black 17" wheels and Maxxis Bighorn 305/70/17 tires
Every mod in the write up section.

Old Jeep: 04 Wrangler X Yellow Built To The Hilt For Three Great Years.

POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #2
dougolupski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
Gjohnson1971
2011 JK Wrangler 

Great Mod!

This is on the "to do list" tomorrow!
it's amazing how much water is stored up in such a small area!
Gjohnson1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the post. I read this before but could not find it. I will add it to my Fourth of July to do list. Cheers!
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
jeff@zina.com
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't see it now, but on that "other" forum was a walkthrough on correcting the factory weep holes in the mirror. Basically remove the mirror and cut away the foam covering the existing weep hole.

Drilling worked fine as well. No need to remove the mirrors.

Jeff
jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #10
Omega Man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolupski
Fantastic mod. I am deffinetly going to do that tomorrow. Now I just have to wait another few weeks before I can wash and wax it. Built 05/31/07 need to let the paint cure.

Your paint is cured by the time it leaves the factory. You can wash and wax as soon as you get it. Letting the paint cure is a myth left over from when they used the old paints.

As far as touchless washes; I would stay away from them. You are better off going to one with the soft rubber brushes. The touchless washes use a chemical that can and will dammage surfaces on your vehicle. There are tins of post on the corvette forum about what can happen if all of the chem is not rinsed well.

I try to keep mine clean as well but with all the rain we have had here in Texas recently, mother nature is doing a good job keeping the spot free rinse working on a daily basis.
23G,4:10,Bright Silver Metallic
5-24-07 Delivery
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #11
dougolupski
It's Heep not Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

I really don't buy that theory. Paint today is even softer and need more time to bake than past lead based paints. A few hours in an oven at the factory just isnt enough. I only speak from personal experience. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saleen_S7
I did paint, body, electrical, suspension, and drivetrain for Saleen for three years beyond my R&D time at Mazda. We would always let the paint bake properly.

Unread 07-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #12
Johnny HotFoot
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...so a month's not enough? how long 'till it's cured?
Unread 07-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
dougolupski
It's Heep not Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Sorry I must have misspoke abit. I think a month is long enough but I will not include the time at the factory. I really only look at the time that the vehicle spends in the sun with normal day to day driving. We had a 4 million dollar paint booth and oven and it still did crap for curing the paint. To each there own on this I am the kind of guy who will wheel the piss out of his jeep, put a dent in it and spend all next weekend banging and painting the dent out. I am really anal with my cars.

Unread 07-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #14
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

JK_Jeep -- Thanks for posting this picture. I had only seen the old thread discussing this, but the position of this "weep" hole is much better.

I drilled mine with a 1/16 inch drill bit after starting the drilling point by pressing in with a pushpin/thumb tack. I drilled upwards at 60 degree angle.

A few days later while washing the Jeep I sprayed water into the mirror housing as much as possible until I saw water spraying out the weep hole. I stopped the spray.

The mirror bracket looked like them little statues of cherubs pee'in in a fountain!

Great and simple mod!
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #15
kscobra2004
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I really don't buy that theory. Paint today is even softer and need more time to bake than past lead based paints. A few hours in an oven at the factory just isnt enough. I only speak from personal experience. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saleen_S7
I did paint, body, electrical, suspension, and drivetrain for Saleen for three years beyond my R&D time at Mazda. We would always let the paint bake properly.

I have painted for 20 years, and within 24 hours of painting (and I have painted motorcycles, cars, vans, trucks, firetrucks, you name it) the paint is color sanded and buffed out. This takes all trash and orange peel out of the paint. This is a myth, most paints today are a base clear, after you lay the color or base after 20 minutes it is completely dry. The clear hardens in about 24 hours. It doesn't get any harder than that. The single stage is sanded the next day as well. By the time you get your vehicle you can wash wax, color sand whatever you want to do.
kscobra2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.