Easy backup camera install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Easy backup camera install

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 01-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

Easy backup camera install

Finished backup cam install yesterday. With the lift and tinted windows, it became very hard to see directly behind. A $69, a 3.5" camera set from Pep Boys fixed that up. It's made for the license plate bracket which for us wrangler owners would be obscured by the spare. I chose the space under the spare, which is visible only by squatting down. Easy to put two stainless or brass 1/4 screws through the plastic bumper fascia. A camera mounted in the spare was an option but gave a very limited view of the critical area just behind the Jeep. The location shown is seen from very low down, and at standing height, it's not seen at all.

I ran the camera wire under the rear bumper, then piggy-backed to the existing wires on driver's side. I came up through just behind the driver's side rear wheelwell.

A soft foam rubber shield allows for easy access into the hollow of the rear fender panel, then after removing the left rear tail light, the wires can be pressed through the small rubber gasket up into the cabin. Pull the carpet out from the edge slightly as seen in the following pic to get access to the top of the rubber gasket. Wireless camera sets will come with a camera/wire, and a transmitter/wire. Pulling the carpet away further allows enough room to velcro or double stick tape the small tranmitter and antenna to any of the hollows found between carpet and sheetmetal. Here's where I began pulling the carpet:

The wire from cam will now run up into the cabin and plug into the transmitter which you have hidden behind the rug. The other wire that feeds the transmitter will run through the same rubber gasket and into the space behind the rear left taillight you have removed. The backup light is at the bottom and has one feed in gray, and two black negative wires. Use two in-line connector with pliers to avoid open splicing. Your transmitter will now turn on in reverse only.

At the front, the JK offers little room even for a small screen, particularly if like me, you use a Garmin attached to the windshield. I chose to put mine here, just behind the registration sticker where it bothers no-one. A little Velcro again did wonders.

I chose to avoid using yet another cigarette lighter adapter and wired into the cigarette lighter instead. A great video of taking the dash off reduced the job to less than 5 minutes. Here's the link:

YouTube - MYGIG LOCKPICK JK WRANGLER RUBICON

Use the lighter on the left, as it will turn off with the ignition. Otherwise, your mini-monitor will stay on forever. Again, in-line crimp on connectors to the two wires is all it takes. Run the wires up behind the plastic panel along the driver's right leg, and over the metal under the steering column. Getting from the cigarette lighter wires down behind the steering took a wire hanger fashioned with a small hook on the end. Finally, pop the left side-dash panel off and pull the wire up through the far left edge so its hidden for almost it's entire distance until it reaches the monitor. Good luck, and enjoy.

Doc

2009 Wrangler JK Deep Water Blue 2/door, Auto Soft Top
Automatic/3.73
2.5" RC Coils/1" MORE-BL/3/4" Levellers/Skyjacker Hydros Shocks/JKS 2" Bumps
17" AEV Argent Pintlers/34.4" GY Duratracs
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Bumpers, locking ends, grill loop
JKS Links/XHD Modular Bumpers/Locking End Units
SB-XCR8 Winch

http://theadirondoc.blogspot.com

Last edited by DocJake; 01-07-2010 at 04:49 PM..
DocJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Be careful when attached the tongue of a trailer. One slip up and crunch. Good Install
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

my wife bought me one for xmas- she got me the Pyle that replaces the rearview mirror- good thing since the rearview mirror is completely useless, my tire carrier has the 35" tire mounted up high for better departure angle. But that meant the rearview was nothing but a wheel/tire LOL

Anyway... I have my license plate relocated to the center of the tire. So my camera was able to mount to the bottom of the license plate. For the first time in a year I actually have a rearview!

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

Wow.. nice job there. Great tips. Appreciate it.
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

What kind of screws are attaching it to the bumper? Does it go into the frame behind the bumper or just the plastic in the bumper?
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
IWantAGladiator
2008 JK Wrangler 

Agree about the placement- 3 days after installing mine 8" off center on the rear bumper, my gf was backing up to a trailer and hit the brake too late- would have put a quick end to the camera. I shimmed one edge of mine to give a good view of the hitch, but out of harms way. just my 2cents.
IWantAGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
RacingRandie
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yep looks good doc but definatley would rethink the placement
RacingRandie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice write-up. Thanks for the link to remove the dash panels too.

One thing I would do differently when removing the panels is to use a trim tool. A screwdriver like what they were using would in most cases leave marks in the soft plastic that is being pried on. Harbor Freight has a nice trim tool set for dirt-cheap.
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
rwmjeepjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

DocJake - very nice. I installed the same unit the same way at the beginning of last summer so that I could back up to my boat trailer without my wife having to 'try' to guide me back. I installed the camera just off the the driver's side so that a trailer couldn't crunch it if I were to go back too far. I took the install on step further and installed the camera on the 'up' side of the driver's side visor using double stick tape, so that I can put the visor down to see the camera, but otherwise, it is not in sight.
'07 Unlimited X - RED - winch, mod front bumper, 2.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, skid row skid plate, BackUp Camera, Custom Switch Pod, CB / PA, Congo Cage customized to full rack with light bar and rear ladder, more to come! (roof tent is not too far off, getting ready for next Easter Jeep Safari trip)
rwmjeepjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
robsbluerub
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttytruckster View Post
Be careful when attached the tongue of a trailer. One slip up and crunch. Good Install
Maybe he could use a "camera skid plate" and keep it on center?
2007 JK 2dr Rubicon, 3" Black Diamond Lift, 35" KM2s, M/T Classic IIs, Rancho shocks, Mopar bumpers, 8000 lb winch, Ace rock sliders, Skid Row engine/oil pan skid, evap skid, Tom Woods driveshafts, Riddler diff covers, rear adjustable upper control arms, chromoly rear shafts, Reid knuckles, Synergy chromoly tie rod, track bar, and flipped drag link.
robsbluerub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

Uh Oh NEW MOD...... ' Camera skid plate' when can I see a write up......
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

Good points about placement. My rig came with a hitch package but I don't trailer anything. I tried placing it between the spokes on the spare, aimed the cam down and had a good view of just behind the bumper, but lost any view of what was further back. Anyway, I agree it sucks mounting a camera for avoiding hitting objects while backing up only to crush your camera backing up.

I like the idea of a visor mount. For $69 I'm happy to take my chances. The cam had no screws, but I had a couple brass screws 1/4" I used. I'll change to black when I get the chance. The screws easily bite through the plastic bumper cover but don't reach the steel.

Automatic/3.73
SB-XCR8 Winch

Unread 01-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
hdrider
2008 JK Wrangler 

Nice install,,,but that dude in the video was RIPPIN that dash out of there. Made me twinge just watchin.
hdrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrider View Post
Nice install,,,but that dude in the video was RIPPIN that dash out of there. Made me twinge just watchin.
yeah.. I took a bit longer and used a cloth between screwdriver and plastic panels.. that's how they treat your car at some installers... We treat our cars with TLC because we love them.

Automatic/3.73
SB-XCR8 Winch

Unread 01-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
qf4phlyer

2008 JK Wrangler 

Doc, I"ve been looking at a back up system too. Brother you've been hitting the mod's, you have the addiction.

Matt
08 Wrangler X DETN8R Yellow Rough Country 2.5" progressive rate coil lift, 2.2 shocks. 1.25" body lift, disco's, steering stabilizer. Benchmark EVAP skid. TeraFlex front bumper with shackles. 35x12.5x15 BFG A/T KO's on MB72 wheels.Cobra 75 on a Firestik. Arizona Rocky Road antenna mount. Ward bug shield, DayStar hood wranglers, upper dash panel. Qtech arm rest.

2002 Wrangler Sahara RIP
1979 CJ 7 258 RIP
1975 Cherokee S 401 RIP
qf4phlyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.