DW and your Front End. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > DW and your Front End.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #61
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2510
I took the measurements on the axle and the measurements are the exact same on both sides. So the front axle is square. The report on my camber states that both sides are at -0.7 which is a 1/2 degree off. As I recall now the dealer wanted $800 to correct it. I didn't think a half of a degree was worth that amount unless they could guarantee it would stop DW which they couldn't of course. In fact they acted like they never heard of such a thing before!
Cool, now we know that the front is OK. If you are interested you could try the rear diff as well.
As for camber there are 3 ways to fix that and they are
1 bend the end of the axle tube. ( not advised)
2 cut off the "C" and reweld ( this can be used to correct caster as well).
3 offset ball joints. (Cheapest and most reasonable fix)

I agree with Your decision to not worry about 1/2 degree.

What were your Caster numbers?

2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #62
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto
Cool, now we know that the front is OK. If you are interested you could try the rear diff as well. As for camber there are 3 ways to fix that and they are 1 bend the end of the axle tube. ( not advised) 2 cut off the "C" and reweld ( this can be used to correct caster as well). 3 offset ball joints. (Cheapest and most reasonable fix) I agree with Your decision to not worry about 1/2 degree. What were your Caster numbers?
The Castor angles were not on the Dealer's report. I'll have to give them a call to see if they have a record of it.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #63
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

So let's now throw this into the mix... Thursday all 4 balljoints changed, uppers badly worn, lowers bad enough. They are now replaced with a full set Synergy balljoints. So here's the recap... 146,000 has NEVER had DW
Trackbar changed still had all 14mm bolts, sloppy and wallowed holes.
All 4 Balljoints now changed (worn out)
All original control arms and bolts still installed. All original tie rods and draglink.
So the mystery continues.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 09-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #64
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
So let's now throw this into the mix... Thursday all 4 balljoints changed, uppers badly worn, lowers bad enough. They are now replaced with a full set Synergy balljoints. So here's the recap... 146,000 has NEVER had DW
Trackbar changed still had all 14mm bolts, sloppy and wallowed holes.
All 4 Balljoints now changed (worn out)
All original control arms and bolts still installed. All original tie rods and draglink.
So the mystery continues.
I think u need to go buy some lottery tickets!
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #65
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-X-Jeep
I think u need to go buy some lottery tickets!
LOL ... I couldn't win a dollar in a lottery if my life depended on it.
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #66
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

FYI - Just received a letter today from Ford Motor Co. regarding the similar problem they are having with what they are calling "shimmy" on some of their trucks. They recently released a "Special Field Action" on the issue. You can probably find it on their website if you look for SFA "09L02". Interesting, but like Chrysler they don't seem to get it. Tire pressure is not going to fix what is going on.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #67
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not surprising at all.. Thanks for the update..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.