DW and your Front End. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > DW and your Front End.

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinAlloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #46
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Lol good analogy, I like that.

So that just leaves the above poster and others with brand new stock vehicles that have very few miles and DW.

2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #47
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Alignment and tire balance can cause death wobble even if all the suspension and steering components are new and tight.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #48
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #49
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE
Alignment and tire balance can cause death wobble even if all the suspension and steering components are new and tight.
So I would think for the most part it could also prevent it. The OP had a wallowed out TB but never really noticed it. He also strikes me as the kind of jeeper that keeps his tires rotated and balanced.
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #50
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow View Post
So I would think for the most part it could also prevent it.

It won't prevent it if another component is the cause...
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #51
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE

It won't prevent it if another component is the cause...
OK then what would you guys recommend? All the various threads on this point to at least a dozen or so different items that could contribute to DW. Should I at least do the bolt upgrade and throw on a double steering damper kit and call it a day? The Dealer says everything up front looks good and is within spec yet DW goes on. If this problem is so hard to diagnose and repair perhaps I should eliminate the symptom with a super beefy damper setup and not risk DEATH! Does anyone know of a good double damper kit for stock suspension (no lift)?
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
wb2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #52
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2510 View Post

OK then what would you guys recommend? All the various threads on this point to at least a dozen or so different items that could contribute to DW. Should I at least do the bolt upgrade and throw on a double steering damper kit and call it a day? The Dealer says everything up front looks good and is within spec yet DW goes on. If this problem is so hard to diagnose and repair perhaps I should eliminate the symptom with a super beefy damper setup and not risk DEATH! Does anyone know of a good double damper kit for stock suspension (no lift)?
I would put your money elsewhere. If they are suggesting a double dampener to fix your death wobble , that is the wrong approach. A bolt kit would be a cheap and wise investment even if it weren't the immediate root cause. Some have found the stock ball joints are toast and remedied their dw. Not to say it is , but it's worth a shot.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #53
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss

I would put your money elsewhere. If they are suggesting a double dampener to fix your death wobble , that is the wrong approach. A bolt kit would be a cheap and wise investment even if it weren't the immediate root cause. Some have found the stock ball joints are toast and remedied their dw. Not to say it is , but it's worth a shot.
I guess my confusion is where to put my money. With the Dealer checking and verifying the proper condition of everything in the front end (including ball joints and everything else on the DW culprit list) Im grasping for a remedy (as we all are). I do not want DW to happen again. The last time I was on the Eway in the middle lane with an 18 wheeler close behind me. As I passed over some small bumps in the pavement the DW hit. I stomped on the brakes trying to gain control and very nearly ended up as the truckers new hood ornament. Luckily he missed me and then very effectively communicated his anger with a few hand gestures. Maybe a little misguided but I would gladly pay a couple hundred bucks to mask the cause of DW (whatever it may end up being) with a super heavy duty steering stabilizer setup. The Dealer did not suggest it. I'll subscribe and see how this all shakes out. Thanks to all.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #54
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2510
Steering dampers just mask the problem and are certainly not a solution. Dealers like to offer the SS swap as it is an easy temporary fix for them.

Here is a long shot if you have time. what if you grab a friend and a measuring tape and measure crossways corner to corner and see if the front diff is sitting square in the frame. Pick a spot on the driver side front diff say at the "C" and spot on the frame at the rear passenger side. These spots must replicatable on the other side. Take a measurement. Do the same from passenger side front to drivers rear and compare. It should be square both numbers equal, if not the front diff is cocked in frame, that could be a part of the problem.
Have you had a front end alignment done and do you have all the spec sheets. Interested to see if maybe the caster is different degrees between left and right side.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #55
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I totally understand how you feel. That's not a pleasant feeling never knowing when it will occur. The biggest problem with masking the issue is, is that it didn't solve the problem and eventually it will reoccur with a vengeance and overcome the dampers and usually destroying it. If you get DW with tight parts can you imagine what it's going to be like when things start to wear.

So although I have never had DW with our Jeeps we have had our share of worn out parts to the point where by everyone else's determination we should have had major DW.
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #56
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

This was actually my initial point/question. Why does it happen to some and not others? What is that underlying issue that will allow a worn Trackbar bolt/hole or bad tire trigger DW?
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #57
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto
This was actually my initial point/question. Why does it happen to some and not others? What is that underlying issue that will allow a worn Trackbar bolt/hole or bad tire trigger DW?
Yes this is an interesting question. I'll get the data and measurements asap and get back in here.
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #58
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post

You have to find it every time. It's not just one answer.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #59
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Here is a long shot if you have time. what if you grab a friend and a measuring tape and measure crossways corner to corner and see if the front diff is sitting square in the frame. Pick a spot on the driver side front diff say at the "C" and spot on the frame at the rear passenger side. These spots must replicatable on the other side. Take a measurement. Do the same from passenger side front to drivers rear and compare. It should be square both numbers equal, if not the front diff is cocked in frame, that could be a part of the problem..
I like where you're going with that. I think I will get up under mine and do some measurements and see if I can find #'s for stock too.
You could get real serious with diff measurements and relate them to DW I think.
Even clockface angles, and pitch.
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #60
wb2510
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Steering dampers just mask the problem and are certainly not a solution. Dealers like to offer the SS swap as it is an easy temporary fix for them. Here is a long shot if you have time. what if you grab a friend and a measuring tape and measure crossways corner to corner and see if the front diff is sitting square in the frame. Pick a spot on the driver side front diff say at the "C" and spot on the frame at the rear passenger side. These spots must replicatable on the other side. Take a measurement. Do the same from passenger side front to drivers rear and compare. It should be square both numbers equal, if not the front diff is cocked in frame, that could be a part of the problem. Have you had a front end alignment done and do you have all the spec sheets. Interested to see if maybe the caster is different degrees between left and right side.
I took the measurements on the axle and the measurements are the exact same on both sides. So the front axle is square.
The report on my camber states that both sides are at -0.7 which is a 1/2 degree off. As I recall now the dealer wanted $800 to correct it. I didn't think a half of a degree was worth that amount unless they could guarantee it would stop DW which they couldn't of course. In fact they acted like they never heard of such a thing before!
wb2510
Late Jeep Club #3

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.