Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

duratracs vs mtr? 255/75-17

833 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rubicon17 
#1 ·
are these identical in size? both say 32.1 x 10" width but few on other forums said the bfg were 1" wider. i dont see that possible is it? also are they quieter than the mtr? messed up a set on the front in about 4k miles now the sound just stupid loud. I figured it was from not rotating enough but the rear started heel to toe wear in a couple thousand miles when they were rotated to the front. i think ive narrowed it down and its the shocks, they have 62k on them and now i think about it, it kind of drips alot when braking and floats around more than it used to. looking at the rancho 5000x or bilsteins. anyone got the duratracs in 255/75-17?

#2 ·
Tread width and tire width can be two different values.
Tire Width (advertised size) is measured as nominal at the sidewall when installed on wheel standard - the width sipe to sipe is a constant width - therefore tread lugs can extend the actual width at the tread with no gain in sidewall width. the extra 1" is outboard of where the sipe would be if a grooved tire... example is my 35X12.5 pits are 13.5 from outside of lugs to outside of lugs... and 13" sidewall to sidewall on a 9.5" rim.
The sidewall width changes with rim width. A wider rim will result in a wider sidewall width... an advertised 11.5 on a 7" rim would be about 12 on a 10"... to compensate for comparison you kinda need to know what the two tires "test wheel size" or "wheel standard" is - usually 8" but not always... clue here is when tire gives a recommended wheel width range - the standard they used to meet their stated size is USUALLY the mid point in the range (ie if it says 8"-10" wheel - you will hit the stated tire width with a 9" wheel, a range of 7-10 would hit advertised width at 8.5, etc). As many people who complain about tire size and how hard it is to understand - just think about how hard it was to hit exact sizes with alpha series (still in use but only for matching nostalgia builds).
I'm where you're at with poor shocks really taking the toll on my tires (five years of them being the extension stops on the rocks coupled with just over 32K miles - all four now have wet shafts but still give halfway decent control). Last balance on the Hankooks lasted only 3500 miles and fronts scalloped real bad. Took as much as 12oz to get em back - and I don't expect they'll last much more than my upcoming 4800 mile trip. NEW STREET SHOES NEXT MONTH YEA! (and new shocks simultaneously - gonna use longer travel shocks and straps to stop travel before the shocks end stroke - so next set should last longer).

#3 ·
You cant compare the two since they are not the same style of tire. You bought MT type tire that is what you wanted( looks mean). You perhaps needed a AT. MTs once they wear at about 50% they will be singing. So MT are better in Rocks, Mud ,trail snow maybe depends. They try to make them street friendly but, try a set of TSLs on the street, make those MTRks sound like silence. So running the MT<any of them. is a trade off for trail use. No trail use then the only reason was looks.

As for rotation on a Jeep going to a Duro wont change nothing. You dont rotate they will wear roughly. You should be doing a 5 wheel rotation as well.<especially in MTS. I would say 3-5k depending on wear/what they are doing. I would not run a MT if the thing dont see mud/rocks a lot. Duros or AT type are rather good at it all. Not great for hard core. But i have seen Duros on the Rubicon trail. aired down they did very well, taking bypasses though.

#4 ·
to me the duratrac looks pretty aggressive. the noise i hate isnt really the typical mt howl its a abnormal kinda swoosh sound at odd revolutions, like its not consistent and has different tones on different surfaces. i can clearly see the weird wavy wear on the tread. the original set lasted about 40-45k when i got this set. jist thinking of the goodyears if the noise stock vs stock is alot less. i think im going to give those rancho shocks a go, anyone on here give discounts to forum members? they are about 200 shipped on amazon atm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.