Duratrac and upgrade options on a 08 Rubicon AUTO - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Duratrac and upgrade options on a 08 Rubicon AUTO

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
limelight76
2008 JK Wrangler 

Duratrac and upgrade options on a 08 Rubicon AUTO

All,

Its time to change tires, and I would really like to get some Duratracs. I think the biggest size I can put on the stock Rubicon wheels is 285/70R17 given the 7.5" wheel width. Is that correct? That is approx a 33" tire which would require a leveling kit or a 2.5" BB.

I would really like to go with 315/70R17 but I believe that would require a new wheel purchase (8.5"+ wheel width) . But I am on a budget, and since this is an AUTO, 4DR I would like to move up to a 4.88 or 5.13 differential when I get my new tires. I think the 315's would also require the 2.5" lift as I have heard mixed info on here as to whether "there will be rub" with just a leveling kit.

After the tires, I probably don't have money for both wheels and diff upgrade right now. Thoughts on the 285 vs 315 option? Should I go with the 4.88 or 5.13 upgrade?

Cheers!

limelight76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Looney
2011 WK 

I would definately say the gears would be a plus if you increase tire size. I had the stock 4.10 and ran 35 inch tires for a couple of years. I drove the jeep for maybe 200 miles before I went overseas and most all my upgrades were done with me gone so I didnt really have a good way to judge any performance lost with new tires. But once I regeared it really did feel like a new jeep. plus i gained 2mpg. Im all the way up to 14, lol

I went with 5.38 gears and now Im running 37 inch tires. I would say the 5.13 would be a good set. Not alot of people say they have too much gear and wish they had less. Both are probably good options but 5.13 would not be extreme.
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
JKDylan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Have you considered dropping the stock wheels and buying 16" wheels? They are cheaper than the 17" wheels and the meats are cheaper for them as well. You might consider getting that set up and the TF leveling kit untill you gather the funds for a real lift if it came down to it.
My best advice for you would to be to call Jason at Krawl Off-Road, he can help you innumerably in your desicion and will definitely find you something that will meet your financial constraints.

Goodyear Duratracs:
315/70R17 - $271/ea at disscount tire (I don't know the KOR price for these
315/75R16 - $262.10 Shipped from KOR (this is what I bought)

Plus, with the 16" wheel route, the actual wheels themselves are cheaper. Like I said, give Jason a shout and he will hook you up with all the knowledge you could ever need.

Also you wouldn't HAVE to regear... that being said, it would be more sluggish and go in and out of OD a lot, and would definitely be more advisable to regear.

JKDylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
limelight76
2008 JK Wrangler 

My only thinking with staying 17" is that it ends up being less unsprung weight when you factor in the total for both tire and wheels..not sure what that actually equates to in fuel efficiency and power.... or whether the difference between 17" or 16" warrants the difference. I would assume there are more wheel options for 17" if I end up changing them out in the future.

Also sounds like there is not much downside to going with 5.13 vs. 4.88 in an AUTO.

Mike
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

You should be able to do a 33" tire without any kind of lift or leveling kit. The stock rubi tires are 32". 4.10 gearing is probably acceptable (if only barely) for a 33" tire as well.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDylan View Post
Have you considered dropping the stock wheels and buying 16" wheels? They are cheaper than the 17" wheels and the meats are cheaper for them as well. You might consider getting that set up and the TF leveling kit untill you gather the funds for a real lift if it came down to it.

That is what I did.
305/70 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on 16x8 procomp wheels (already had the teraflex leveling kit)

67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
limelight76
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. I think I may go the 305/70R16 route with the ProComp 7069 16x8 wheels. It seems like the most cost effective solution to get the ride and look I want with only a leveling kit. I am a little worried about the additional unsprung weight this might have as compared to the 17" wheel option but I am not going to upgrade the differential at this point, so 33" tires with the 4.1 Rubi diff is about as big as I am willing to go.

Tags
budget boost , differential , duratrac , leveling lift , wheel width

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.