Dumb question about lockers on Rubi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dumb question about lockers on Rubi

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
JimP

Dumb question about lockers on Rubi

Hi guys:

I never had lockers on a jeep before, so I know this question will sound dumb.

I am still thinking about getting a Rubi..... can you tell me if you can engage the lockers in 4 wheel high, or must you be in 4 wheel low?

With the lockers engaged, you have posi traction with both the front and rear axles correct? And I presume you can only go so fast?

In a auto tranny would you just keep it in drive, when in 4 wheel low and lockers engaged?

Regards.... Jim P.

100th Annie 03 HD Deuce, CVO
05 Eleglide Screaming Eagle, CVO
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
crankitdb711

only 4Lo...
crankitdb711 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Bigdog05

In 4 low you can use any gear you might need for what you are driving through.
Bigdog05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
wvextremist

2007 JK Wrangler 

There is a wiring mod out there that you can do so that you can use the lockers and the sway bar disco with any transfer case setting...

'07 JKU-- RESCUE GREEN
Sahara, 6 spd,
Tow pkg,
Ltd Slip
UPGRADES:
Rubi Tires and Wheels,
Shrockworks Stubby Front Bumper, and sliders
Sway Bar Disco's,
OME HD Lift kit
Smittybuilt Winch,
River Raider Snorkle,
Aftermarket MyGIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticBastard
Aliens will cost you alot of money..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jloughlin
...turn up the volume as loud as you want (and possibly blow the carp out of your speakers)...
wvextremist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
DirtyJeepJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP
Hi guys:

I never had lockers on a jeep before, so I know this question will sound dumb.

I am still thinking about getting a Rubi..... can you tell me if you can engage the lockers in 4 wheel high, or must you be in 4 wheel low?

With the lockers engaged, you have posi traction with both the front and rear axles correct? And I presume you can only go so fast?

In a auto tranny would you just keep it in drive, when in 4 wheel low and lockers engaged?

Regards.... Jim P.
4lo only...

you can lock just the rear lockers or the front and rear together...

if i had the auto i would shift it myself i think, but that's just me. i have the 6sp.
DirtyJeepJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No posi traction. The diffs are open when unlocked

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
redrom01
JCOB-4-LIFE

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvextremist
There is a wiring mod out there that you can do so that you can use the lockers and the sway bar disco with any transfer case setting...
Not so sure that the TJ wiring mod will work with the JK. I pulled everything apart and the switchs for the Lockers, disconnects, and ESP are all using one set of wires that run into a small circuitboard insted of being wired independantly. I'm not an electrical mastermind, but I'm gonna have my friend that is incredible with electronics take a look at it.

______o00o
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

-Current Jeep-
2007 JK Rubi (Steel Blue)
Searching for an MJ

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
redrom01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
jdrogers
2002 WJ 

You cannot do the modification at the locker switch any more. The switches communicate with the computer using the CANbus system (two wires).

Here is a write-up from another board. I have not done this yet. One guy on another board has done the modification to ground the transfer case position sensor and he says it works great and has not had any problems or trouble codes.

Here is the link: Rubicon Locker Modification
jdrogers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #9
mountravlr

4 lo only

4 lo with the lockers is about 15 mph max, reserved for the worst trail conditions. The sway bar disconnect is good to about 18 mph max. The owner's manual warns about excessive speed in 4 lo
mountravlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountravlr
4 lo with the lockers is about 15 mph max, reserved for the worst trail conditions. The sway bar disconnect is good to about 18 mph max. The owner's manual warns about excessive speed in 4 lo
damn is 15mph all a Jeep can manage????

Surly that's not right, I can easily top over 40mph in low range in my Discovery, admitidly it's not often needed but wheels speeds above 15mph are often required in deep mud.
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
300bhp/ton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
JoeBlevins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

Surly that's not right, I can easily top over 40mph in low range in my Discovery, admitidly it's not often needed but wheels speeds above 15mph are often required in deep mud.
The 4Lo is dramatically different in the Jeep. You aren't supposed to be going for wheel spin in 4lo. Mudding is 4hi.
Unread 03-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #12
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlevins
Mudding is 4hi.
Not some of the places I go, steep slippy slopes down and side slopes you want low range for sure.

With a high revving V6 (compared to my diesel Land Rover) low range in a JK simply must offer better than 15mph, espcially when you have a 6 speed gearbox.

You certainly wouldn't want high range here, but you'd also need more than 15mph wheel speed:
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0HO!!! - stock|Land Rover Discovery 200Tdi - diesel, 33's and one or two other mods currently being rebuilt as an 88 Hybrid|Camaro z/28 LS1 - 5.7 litres of OHV muscle!!!|1977 Triumph TR7 V8 - Lightweight and fun, with only the doors remaining stock|smart Roadster - small nippy and 58mpg|Ford Thunderbird - long term rebuild project
Unread 03-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
bofer84

Location: lakeland florida/ seneca south carolina/tampa florida
WHAT!! haha, i can only laugh at the comment about needing 4low in mud. You should never need 4low in mud if your gearing is right for the tires your running. ie, i can see 4low in a jeep with stock gears and 37s, but if you have a 35" or lower tire, you dont need 4low. why you ask, 1: 4low offers to much torque for mud, your just going to spin your tires...not fast, your lugs are going to cake up, and your going to sink. Every truck has enough power to spin the tires in 4hi, so why do you need more torque, its like saying 4low is going to make you move better on ice...it isnt, torque doesnt matter on slippery surfaces, its HP guys, wheel spin, and anything out there has enough "torque" to get the wheels up and moving on slippery surfaces. And just so you know your 4low 5th gear is equal to your 4hi first gear, these things are torqued way down compared to discoverys. so if and when your in 4low in mud now your only dealing with basically 1 gear, vs in 4hi 3 gears. use 4hi, you get more wheel spin to clear out the lugs, and if you start boggin down, you can downshift to a bette gear and get your wheel speed back up. It always amazes me about the people who think they need 4low, its so funny to go wheelin with people and watch them freek out at a mud hole, and go "hurry put it in 4 low hurry"...buddy your not going anywhere calm down...haha. But seriously, try using 4hi in these jeeps, they dont weigh much, and like to float, get some wheel spin and floor it if need be, you will make it alot further and wont get stuck as much
bofer84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
mountravlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

Keep in mind that the engine is turning 2-3 times the revs in 4 lo than it does in 4 hi, and that is why the owner's manual makes those warnings.
mountravlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
300bhp/ton
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofer84
WHAT!! haha, i can only laugh at the comment about needing 4low in mud.
Sorry mate but you evidently have no idea at all.

In the pic I posted they had just gone down a near vericle downslope and under them is a 3' deep trench they managed to power over. Hi range simply would not give the control not to mention would be sucicidel navigating steep slopes with it.

In a competition trial you can't stop as it's a penalty but you'd be mad or an idiot to use high range:

If it was on the level and was simply a mud hole with dry grippy areas at each end then maybe, but when navigating tight gates, sideslopes, very steep decents & cliams all in the mud then low range is the only answer, even for a Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.