Dual tops question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dual tops question

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 09-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
jkunlimited07

Dual tops question

I'm interested in purchasing an 07 Wranger Unlimited with Dual Tops. I'm getting a little anxious and my dealer has the one I want without the dual tops (it only has the soft top). He said that he could order the hard top and have it installed for me.

If I were to do that, would it be the SAME EXACT setup as purchasing a vechicle with the dual tops straight from the factory? He said that it would be, but I wanted to be absolutely certain before making such a big purchase. I did call Jeep directly but they really couldn't answer the question. Thanks for your help.

jkunlimited07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
NapalmEnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkunlimited07
I'm interested in purchasing an 07 Wranger Unlimited with Dual Tops. I'm getting a little anxious and my dealer has the one I want without the dual tops (it only has the soft top). He said that he could order the hard top and have it installed for me.

If I were to do that, would it be the SAME EXACT setup as purchasing a vechicle with the dual tops straight from the factory? He said that it would be, but I wanted to be absolutely certain before making such a big purchase. I did call Jeep directly but they really couldn't answer the question. Thanks for your help.
I don't see how it wouldn't be, the hard top is fully removeable, so it should be something you can put on later or store in your garage as needed?

Good luck with your purchase!
NapalmEnema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It should be the same. The hard top just bolts on without any extra pieces. Atleast that is how it is on the YJ and TJ.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Hoghead00

Not sure about the JK, but on the TJ's, the body is prewired for the hardtop for the rear defrost and the windshield washer for TJ's with dual tops or hardtops only. You would just want to be sure they include the wiring loom. I assume they would, but......
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #5
IGZLBR
2002 XJ Cherokee 

around here, in Canada, if I have a customer that wants a hard top after the fact, it usually cost 3 times more than if it were a factory installed option. Perhaps it different for US Mopar, but it is always, way, way cheaper to get the option/packages you want from the factory. This goes for most if not all parts installed after the fact by your dealer (at our local dealers here anyways).

Current Rides: 1993 Grand Wagoneer, 1992 Cherokee
Past: 1982 CJ-7, 1986 CJ-7, 1994 YJ
IGZLBR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #6
tacopeland

I did that with my '97 Wrangler. It came with a soft top and a year later i bought the hard top and full doors from the dealer. They installed the wiring an everything.
tacopeland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
mikejwil

I would get something in writing saying that you can get the hard-top afterwards for the same price as the factory option.
1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN
1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
mikejwil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
jkunlimited07

Thanks for everyone's replies! I'm off tomorrow morning to the dealer and I'll let you know how it turns out.
jkunlimited07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If I was you, I would also buy with the hardtop as the "only top" and then purchase a soft-top afterwards - either a dealer-top or one of the aftermarket units.

Winter is coming up soon - so there would be fewer days that you would have the soft-top down anyway.

When I picked up my '06 Unlimited it came with the dual-tops. I haven't taken the hardtop off yet because I don't have anywhere to store it
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
SafetyMike

Another question for the thread:

With the dual tops, can I leave the soft top folded up with the hard top on? I know it comes that way from the factory, however should I worry about the hard top wearing into the soft top over time from road vibration?

OR will the soft top cover protect it?
SafetyMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #11
ghostship
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyMike
Another question for the thread:

With the dual tops, can I leave the soft top folded up with the hard top on? I know it comes that way from the factory, however should I worry about the hard top wearing into the soft top over time from road vibration?

OR will the soft top cover protect it?
Jeep recommends that you remove it, and it can rub causing wear marks over time. It also gets in the way of the rear cargo access. I'll probably leave my softtop in there over the winter, and then remove it next fall when the hardtop goes back on, like I did with my 03 Rubi.
ghostship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.