DS Vibration - Pinion Angle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > DS Vibration - Pinion Angle?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

DS Vibration - Pinion Angle?

2010 4D Rubicon, with a 2.5" Teraflex Lift (new springs, shocks, etc). Stock tires for now. New front and rear bumpers (winch also on front, and new swing-out tire carrier on rear).

I was originally getting a vibration / resonance around 35 to 45 MPH after the lift, but am now hearing a distinct grinding-type noise at these speeds (along with the original vibration). The noise and vibration appear to emanate from right under my feet, so I was thinking the front DS was needing re-balancing, or perhaps a new Tom Woods DS. However, from the posts on similar subjects, perhaps I need to consider new, adjustable upper control arms for the front, to tune in a new pinion angle, and keep the stock DS (kinda seems counter-intuitive in that the lift is only 2.5"....but stranger things have happened).

I'm thinking that I should remove the front DS anyway, until I can get this issue resolved (and to verify that the DS is, indeed, the problem).

Once the original tires are "used up", I'll eventually go with 33's. Am assuming that the new upper control arms would come in useful for this change as well.

Any input / advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Made any more, I might move away
Hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

Is the noise only under acceleration? Mine was. I narrowed it down by removing the rear drive-shaft and driving around. Sound went away with the rear shaft off, so I know it was the TC or the rear diff. Turned out it was the rear differential. Had the shop put a rebuild kit in it the rear diff and sound is gone.

BTW: I've got a 2.5" lift, too. I put adjustable uppers on the back to correct the rear shaft pinion angle to see if that fixed my problem. It didn't - it was my pinion bearings.
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Newbie question, but I didn't think the front DS spun unless you were in 4WD?
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

Noise is evident all the time between 35 and 45 (ish).

I'm fairly certain I should remove the front DS, just to ensure the noise isn't coming from somewhere else.
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

"Newbie question, but I didn't think the front DS spun unless you were in 4WD?"

I may be off-base, but I think it spins all the time, while the wheels are turning......
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
MoparToYou
2014 JK Wrangler 

It spins all the time, unless you have locking hubs that can be unlocked.

Take the front driveshaft off and drive the Jeep. If the vibration goes away it is from the front driveshaft.

You don't even need to take the whole driveshaft off. Just disconnect the axle end and tie it up with a bungie cord (don't use four wheel drive though).
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
I may be off-base, but I think it spins all the time, while the wheels are turning......
Ah, ok -- so it's the TC end that's not engaged when in 2WD?
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's my understanding..
Unread 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Hedwig
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well...........

Front DS removed, and there's still a vibration / resonance / noise from the front end. My assumptions are that there's an "issue" with the front diff., that's exacerbated by the DS.

Will make an appointment with the purchasing dealer. Only three months new, with 3k miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.