DS Boot Clamp ripped off! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > DS Boot Clamp ripped off!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

DS Boot Clamp ripped off!

While under my Jeep installing AEVís LFCA brackets I noticed that the clamp that holds the rubber boot on the front drive shaft was way up at the front of the shaft. It had been pulled off. It was still intact and not damaged at all. At first I couldnít figure out how in the heck that could have happened. Finally I saw it. The shaft will move way over towards the transmission oil pan and make contact during extreme articulation. The pan lip was bent up where the clamp made contact. Never thought that could happen. Anyhow, Iím looking at getting an after-market drive shaft for sure now. The boot is fine so I think Iíll use some bailing wire to fix it till it gets replaced.

This is where i found it resting.

Unread 06-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
chumpmann
2008 JK Wrangler 

Happen to mine the first month I had it......

Articulation with sway-bar disconnected puts the DS right there....
My whole boot was ripped off.
Was able to to drive for a few months before getting Woody Shafts, much stouter also.....

°ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Other Jeeps...
1994 YJ - 2.5" RC lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT

Hers - '07 XK
chumpmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I've seen it happen to nearly every automatic. Lift + disconnect + articulation = boot tears off on the transmission skid.

What I have not figured out is why mine hasn't. At max articulation I still have 1/4" (or more) of space before it will rub. Me and my friends are baffled by mine.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Mine is off. Haven't tried putting something else on it yet. I've read that running without the full boot is OK for awhile.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I've seen it happen to nearly every automatic. Lift + disconnect + articulation = boot tears off on the transmission skid.
What I have not figured out is why mine hasn't. At max articulation I still have 1/4" (or more) of space before it will rub. Me and my friends are baffled by mine.
I can see that happening with the factory skid still in place, thatís why youíre supposed to remove it. Mine is hitting from the side, nothing to hit underneath. Perhaps your shocks are a bit too short.
Unread 06-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I can see that happening with the factory skid still in place, thatís why youíre supposed to remove it. Mine is hitting from the side, nothing to hit underneath. Perhaps your shocks are a bit too short.
They are the RC shocks for the 2.5" lift.

pretty good flex... check it out at :45

YouTube - Jeep JK at K2

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 06-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
They are the RC shocks for the 2.5" lift. pretty good flex... check it out at :45
Not bad but it was all in a straight line. Try doing that in an extreme off camber rock garden. Thatís when the drive shaft will shift to the side.
What about you OE skid plate, are you still running it?
Unread 06-12-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Not bad but it was all in a straight line. Try doing that in an extreme off camber rock garden. Thatís when the drive shaft will shift to the side.
What about you OE skid plate, are you still running it?
Yes, been on serious off camber rock garden too. I even stopped in such a position one time specifically to look at my DS- that is when I noticed that I had 1/4"+ gap available before any rubbing.... And yes, still running the stock skid.

It really is an anomaly as far as we can tell. We have all decided that it's part of that really high quality control at the factory

Whatever the reason, I'm happy about it because I have never ripped my DS boot while everyone else I know has.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think there are two places where the boot can be affected by a lift: the boot clip hitting the automatic transmission oil pan and the boot hitting the skid.

When you install your lift, the front axle shifts away from the transmission pan. If your lift doesnít have any correction for the axle shift, then you may not hit your automatic transmission pan. I installed a front adjustable trac bar which brought the axle back, though even with shifting it back it took me over 5,000 miles to flex it just right and have the clip in the right place to tag my clip:

I measured and it just barely hit, so I made a lower profile clip which has held up for over 10,000 miles.

The other problem is with the skid. If your lift/shocks allows extra droop then your driveshaft can droop into the skid and cut the boot. A friend of mine installed the exact same lift I have, except he got new shocks that allow more extension than my setup and so he could (and did) droop his driveshaft onto his skid and cut his boot. He also has an automatic but hasnít adjusted his axle, and hasnít hit his clip (like I have).
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Good info. Iíll try some bailing wire and hope for the best.
Unread 06-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Good info. Iíll try some bailing wire and hope for the best.
Thanks. I tried duct tape and plastic zip ties - no good. If you can twist the bailing wire tight enough and not leave a high spot then it should work - you may want to measure after you do it.

FYI - I think I got the clamps at NAPA - ďuniversalĒ CV boot band clamp with a small ear.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
Unread 06-13-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Good info Joe- and probably explains why mine hasn't torn. I have adj front trackbar. I also stayed with the shocks that comes with the RC 2.5" lift, which apparently prevents drooping to much.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #13
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Good info Joe- and probably explains why mine hasn't torn. I have adj front trackbar. I also stayed with the shocks that comes with the RC 2.5" lift, which apparently prevents drooping to much.
I have the shock extension too and havenít ripped mine - yeah, the extensions donít permit as much droop as newer (longer) shocks. Since you have a front adjustable track bar you could have the clip hitting the transmission pan issue - it depends how far you adjusted your axle back to center and if you just happen to flex the drivers side when the ear is coming around to hit the pan bolt. It took me many trips to have everything just right to hit mine. You can measure you clearance by flexing the drivers side and then checking the distance from you clip to your pan. You may have shifted your axle a hair more to the drivers side than I do, or your ear may not be sticking up as high as mine was, or maybe itís offset a little more than mine, or you just havenít hit the right combination to hit it yet.
Unread 01-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

So wait, if I never disconnect does that mean I'm in the clear? Havent had a chance to flex out my 4" Rancho lift yet, just curious. (Hey its my DD! )
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bent the stock skid plate to give the DS more clearance and I flattened the bump on the boot clamp with a hammer... more clearance. FWIW.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.