Dry gas in a 2014,whats safe to use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dry gas in a 2014,whats safe to use?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

Dry gas in a 2014,whats safe to use?

Ok lets face it winter is getting closer.I got a jeep and could care less except 1 thing,the dreaded frozen gas line! What gas line antifreeze do I use? I mean with all the sensors and computers on these new ones,I dont want to screw it up with a bottle of dry gas,ya know. I used Heet in all my other engines,its cheap,works and never any other problems.
What do you guys use?

Spoony1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

PA gets to -40 (freeze point of gasoline)? WOW. Glad I don live there!
Unread 10-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

Unless you regularly fill your gas tank from your own fuel storage tank, or jerry cans (gas cans), I wouldn't worry too much about water in the gas tank. It is more of a "myth" nowadays that a vehicle will end up with frozen gas lines. Service station storage tanks are highly regulated, vehicle tanks sealed and the probability of water accumulation due to condensation within the tank are almost none existent (mainly due to the extensive EVAP regulations/seals). YET the products (gas line antifreeze/ "alcohol") still sells very well.
Furthermore, this "water" problem would be more likely outside the US as our gas contains lesser amounts of alcohol (ethanol) whereas in the US it is common and legal for pump gas to contain up to 10% (sometimes much more*). alcohol is cheaper to produce than gas. Not talking about e85 composition.
What gas line antifreeze does is allow the water to "mix in" with the gas and "pass" much like "soap" would. Gasoline has no realistic freezing point (as it has many separate ingredients that start to crystalize at different temperatures) All at very, very low temperatures (you won't likely get there). Water as you know does not dissolve in gasoline so it puddles and can freeze
Adding to much alcohol to fuel can cause problems in todays engines, especially if your already near the max ratio accepted by the manufacturers/tune/calibration.
(result is usually fuel trim codes with no apparent drivability symptoms).
Alcohol also is less volatile (and burns at lower temperature than gasoline and therefor is harder to ignite at colder temperatures...so is it a necessary evil?

Bottom line: Save your money, buy your gas from a reputable station (not the raggy old barn station on the hill. Avoid storing gas in questionable storage tanks, or jerry cans. If you do carry fuel in jerry cans, regularly use the gas as they are more prone to water accumulation due to infiltration/condensation.....and never fill the tank with questionable gas (pld gas stored for filling lawnmower/snowblower/fishing boat etc.).

Do I use it? Yes I add it to my snowblowers tank/jerry can (and stabilizer)ONLY.... I regularly get water in that tank as I am filling it up in less than ideal conditions... snowing!
Brand? METHANOL (branding does nothing for the product)

Have I ever found a "frozen" fuel line causing a no start at the shop (road vehicles)? Never in the last 20 years. Water in the tank- hundreds of times. Excessive alcohol ratios (causing fuel trim codes)- about dozen every fall/winter/spring.
Frozen gas line on the snowblower = twice (and that's a whole other subject)
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwrenchdave View Post
Gasoline has no realistic freezing point (as it has many separate ingredients that start to crystalize at different temperatures) All at very, very low temperatures (you won't likely get there).
Right around -40 gasoline starts getting hard to meter and pump because of the ingredients crystallizing - and some of em sticking in the filter.
I am too wussified to live in temps under +40 degrees so can only share anecdotally (although I did start a chainsaw at +20 once to clear a fallen tree)!
Unread 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

-40 degrees F !!!!!

I don't even set my coolers as far down as -40 degrees F--God I'd hate to have to live withit !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

Gas line antifreeze is for the water- not the gas.
Yeah... Its a love hate relationship. I think the hate is winning out. But I would hate burning to a crisp even more!
I can't say I remember being outside at anything colder than near -40 ever! (actual temperature as windchill doesn't affect gas or vehicles).
It's bitter cold, and your lungs hurt just breathing.... Lots of other things to go wrong before worrying about gas freezing! And like I said- nothing you can do about the actual gas. run pure alcohol?- that's gonna also be a quicker no-start.
At anything below -25 I'd say Your cranking speed sounds like about 60RPM and even the ignition switch is stiff and sometimes doesn't return. The radio display (lcd) is in super slow motion at changing etc. so plug in those block heaters, battery warmers, and even cabin warmers. Or just park it in the garage (heated)
ohhh. can't wait for winter!
ever had your beer freeze while your standing outside drinking it? it's a reality
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

It can and does hit -40 usually at least once a winter here and the Jeep (and my old CR-V before it) always ran fine without any additives.
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #8
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
ever had your beer freeze while your standing outside drinking it? it's a reality
Chicago, Jan to Mar 1980 - standing muster every morning at Great Lakes as the tallest (back line) with my back to the wind off the lake... and the nightly forays into Michigan to drink... FIRST and LAST time for this Tropics kinda guy...
Unread 10-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

Wow guys maybe I should have titled this thread "Who still uses dry gas" Lol. Lots of people including me had cars freeze up here last year,first time it dipped below 0 here in years.Most station owners around here do little in the way of tank maintenance,untill they have a problem. 3 of the stations in town that have the most business are in the poorest of locations,bottom of hills or flood plains.
Unread 10-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony1968 View Post
Wow guys maybe I should have titled this thread "Who still uses dry gas" Lol. Lots of people including me had cars freeze up here last year,first time it dipped below 0 here in years.Most station owners around here do little in the way of tank maintenance,untill they have a problem. 3 of the stations in town that have the most business are in the poorest of locations,bottom of hills or flood plains.
Probably.
But my answer to how to keep gas from freezing remains "move south".
Unread 10-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Unless you regularly fill your gas tank from your own fuel storage tank, or jerry cans (gas cans), I wouldn't worry too much about water in the gas tank. It is more of a "myth" nowadays that a vehicle will end up with frozen gas lines. Service station storage tanks are highly regulated, vehicle tanks sealed and the probability of water accumulation due to condensation within the tank are almost none existent (mainly due to the extensive EVAP regulations/seals). YET the products (gas line antifreeze/ "alcohol") still sells very well.
Furthermore, this "water" problem would be more likely outside the US as our gas contains lesser amounts of alcohol (ethanol) whereas in the US it is common and legal for pump gas to contain up to 10% (sometimes much more*). alcohol is cheaper to produce than gas. Not talking about e85 composition.
What gas line antifreeze does is allow the water to "mix in" with the gas and "pass" much like "soap" would. Gasoline has no realistic freezing point (as it has many separate ingredients that start to crystalize at different temperatures) All at very, very low temperatures (you won't likely get there). Water as you know does not dissolve in gasoline so it puddles and can freeze
Adding to much alcohol to fuel can cause problems in todays engines, especially if your already near the max ratio accepted by the manufacturers/tune/calibration.
(result is usually fuel trim codes with no apparent drivability symptoms).
Alcohol also is less volatile (and burns at lower temperature than gasoline and therefor is harder to ignite at colder temperatures...so is it a necessary evil?

Bottom line: Save your money, buy your gas from a reputable station (not the raggy old barn station on the hill. Avoid storing gas in questionable storage tanks, or jerry cans. If you do carry fuel in jerry cans, regularly use the gas as they are more prone to water accumulation due to infiltration/condensation.....and never fill the tank with questionable gas (pld gas stored for filling lawnmower/snowblower/fishing boat etc.).

Do I use it? Yes I add it to my snowblowers tank/jerry can (and stabilizer)ONLY.... I regularly get water in that tank as I am filling it up in less than ideal conditions... snowing!
Brand? METHANOL (branding does nothing for the product)

Have I ever found a "frozen" fuel line causing a no start at the shop (road vehicles)? Never in the last 20 years. Water in the tank- hundreds of times. Excessive alcohol ratios (causing fuel trim codes)- about dozen every fall/winter/spring.
Frozen gas line on the snowblower = twice (and that's a whole other subject)
Ask someone who lives in deadhorse alaska

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
Spoony1968
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Probably.
But my answer to how to keep gas from freezing remains "move south".
Lol,I am moving here shortly,but not from Pa. sadly.
Unread Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #13
tomsryt
2012 JK Wrangler 

Do a little research on Pri-G.
tomsryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:59 AM   #14
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsryt View Post
Do a little research on Pri-G.
Thanks - I had never heard of em...

They make no claims on freeze protection though - and there is no alcohol in it so I wouldnt assume it offers any..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.