Dronac's build thread! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dronac's build thread!

UCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Dronac's build thread!

I figured it would be nice to have a set place to ask questions and post my pictures, so I'm making my first build thread!

Background: I bought my Jeep on January 1st, 2008. It was an automatic Steel Blue 2 door X with the 24/s package. $19,000 out the door with $18,900 miles and not a scratch on it, inside or out and a service record. I honestly had no intention of going beyond "maybe" doing a 1.5'' leveling kit and 32'' all terrains... we all know how that line of thinking turns out.

Here are some pictures of it when it was stock and my first offroading trip. I got stuck quick.

After getting stuck I got bit with the mod bug. I knew I wanted 33'' Duratracs so I ordered a Flashpaq and a Rusty's 2'' coil lift. I got 3'' of lift after they settled and love the ride. This was my first time doing a mod my myself and REALLY got into it. I love turning a wrench! I also installed a Cobra 75 that week.

Lift in front but not in rear

Finally done!

I saved up half the cash for new tires when I caught a big sale at Discount Tire. Combine that with my Goodyear and Tread Lightly rebates and I got 5 33x12.5R15 Duratracs, 5 15x8 Soft 8's, and lug nuts all mounted and balanced for $1220! I had to grind my calipers though so I spent $20 on an angle grinder and went to work.

And that's all I have for now. I'm debating what to do next. I'm starting to save up for a week in Breckenridge to do some skiing, so I'll be diverting some money there for awhile. I'm thinking some JKS Quick Disconnects and long some range lights will keep me busy for now. Should I get disconnects for the rear as well, or just get some extended Teraflex links?

Here is my build plan so far:
Add-a-trunk [x]
Cobra 75 [x]
Rusty's lift [x]
33'' Duratrac's [x]
New sway bar links [ ]
Onboard air system [ ]
KC long range windshield lights [ ]
XHD full width front bumper [ ]
Warn winch [ ]
KC bumper mounted driving lights [ ]
LOD rear bumper w/ tire and gas can carrier [ ]
Riddler diff covers [ ]
Onboard power inverter [ ]
Eaton E-lockers [ ]
Regear [ ]
Supercharge it! [ ]

Thankfully, my Jeep is paid off but kept my "payment" and move it into a dedicated mod fund each month, so even if my budget is tight, I still have mod/gas/repair money.

Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nice looking JK man!

After all the stuff you've done so far, it doesn't sound like quick disconnects and lights will keep you "busy for now" for very long.

So you're out by Charlotte? You hit Uwharrie a lot?
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice start, glad to see that you’re doing it yourself. That pic of the Jeep center cap is a keeper; it would make for a great wallpaper for your comp.
Unread 09-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Nice start, glad to see that you’re doing it yourself. That pic of the Jeep center cap is a keeper; it would make for a great wallpaper for your comp.
It's been my iPhone wallpaper for almost 5 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Nice looking JK man!

After all the stuff you've done so far, it doesn't sound like quick disconnects and lights will keep you "busy for now" for very long.

So you're out by Charlotte? You hit Uwharrie a lot?
The disconnects will be a quick job, yeah, but the lights I will take my time on. I like doing electrical mods, and plan to make it a really clean install. The toughest part is figuring out if I want to go to the battery or rig up a power distribution panel. I also need to figure out where I will mount a switch panel. The daystar one is nice, but the switches are crazy expensive and you can't really fit many there.

I used to go to their rifle range before they shut it down due to a shooting accident. Between school and spending summers out of state for work, I haven't had the chance to go offroad there yet, but I'm planning a trip in October or so. I hate to have to schedule my trips like that, but it's pretty rare for me to have more then a few hours free at a time. Ever been there? I'm curious as to how the range is difficulty is.
Unread 09-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've gone once, with my local Jeep club. It's about a 6-hour (one-way) drive from where I'm at, otherwise I'd be there a lot more often. I'm going back with the club on the second weekend in October. CAN'T WAIT!

Someone's made a pretty good trail map here:
http://home.windstream.net/ezduzit/uwharrie.gif

Last trip, we did everything except Daniel. On the "hardest" trails, I think all of the super-hard obstacles (like Kodak Rock) had a bypass. We had stock JKs in our group, and they had no problems with the bypasses.

I had a 2.5" TF coil lift and stock Rubi tires on the last trip, and it was a blast, although I did get high-centered once (much to the delight of the stock JK folks, who had to strap me off). (grrrrrr) I've got 35s and a 3.5" AEV lift now, so I'm dying to try that obstacle that high-centered me again!!!

I think you're pretty lucky living so close!
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #6
VeniceCA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Jeep looks great! Those grinders come in handy, a good investment imo. See you want to do an onboard power inverter, that's up on my list too. Not decided where it's getting mounted yet but adding one for sure.
VeniceCA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
I've gone once, with my local Jeep club. It's about a 6-hour (one-way) drive from where I'm at, otherwise I'd be there a lot more often. I'm going back with the club on the second weekend in October. CAN'T WAIT!

Someone's made a pretty good trail map here:
http://home.windstream.net/ezduzit/uwharrie.gif

Last trip, we did everything except Daniel. On the "hardest" trails, I think all of the super-hard obstacles (like Kodak Rock) had a bypass. We had stock JKs in our group, and they had no problems with the bypasses.

I had a 2.5" TF coil lift and stock Rubi tires on the last trip, and it was a blast, although I did get high-centered once (much to the delight of the stock JK folks, who had to strap me off). (grrrrrr) I've got 35s and a 3.5" AEV lift now, so I'm dying to try that obstacle that high-centered me again!!!

I think you're pretty lucky living so close!
Unfortunatly, I only have until June left living here before I have to move to Warner Robins, Georgia (south of Macon). Hopefully though I'll only be there for a year, and then it's of to Salt Lake City for a year of school, and offroading. I'm going to really rack up the miles going back and fourth to Moab!
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I got some JKS front Quicker Discos in this week from Northridge 4x4! Unfortunately, I have no Jeep to put them on at the moment I took her in at 30,000 miles for some new noises in the engine bay, and apparently I was going to get the spun bearing failure soon, so they are putting a whole new engine in. Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow, or Tuesday at the latest. I'v been out of my Jeep for a week now and driving a tiny Chevy Cobolt. I despise that vehicle :P
Unread 10-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thank god you took it in when you did and glad to see that they’re replacing your engine. I’m thinking that most likely it’s a short block instead of a complete unit. Could be wrong though. Do you know which way they’re going, just curious?
Unread 10-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Thank god you took it in when you did and glad to see that they’re replacing your engine. I’m thinking that most likely it’s a short block instead of a complete unit. Could be wrong though. Do you know which way they’re going, just curious?
I thought it would just be a short block at first too, but he said the head was damaged too, so a complete new long block is going in! And to think I thought this was all just a cracked exhaust manifold .

I took it in because:
A) I learned idle pinging at cold start isn't possible, yet I had the rattle can noise
and B) my engine developed a whistle and rattle at 1000-1500 RPMs.
There was no signs of anything being really wrong. There was no loss of power and the noises were only audible with the windows down going at a slow speed or idling.
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yours knocked on cold start before the bearing failure? ... That's not good
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #12
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Jeep is looking good, sorry about your motor...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
LBrook
2008 JK Wrangler 

nice looking jeep man. a little similar to mine

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]"[I]There are lies, **** lies, and statistics[/I]" -Mark Twain[/COLOR]
LBrook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Long block is way better then a short block. Less things to possibly leak since it’s factory fresh. Good for you.
Unread 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well, today was both good, and a disaster.

The good: The new motor runs great! I must of been running on a crippled engine for a long time, because there is a sharp increase in power it has over before. It runs better now with a stock tune on 33's, then with 32's and a 93 octane tune with my old motor.

The bad: There is still an exhaust rattle at low RPMs once it is warmed up. I'll have to notify the dealer, but won't be able to take it in for two weeks. The Jeep Rocks and Roads event is this weekend, and I'm registered for the owners playground, and I have an overnight offroad camping trip next weekend.

More bad: I tried installing my JKS disconnects but one of my sway bar link ball joints is seized BAD. PB blaster, a torch, a torque wrench, vice grip, and breaker bar couldn't loosen it. Tomorrow I have a friend with a pneumatic driven die grinder and I'm just going to saw it off. Until then, my sway bar links are going to rattle like crazy. That one ball joint's boot is pulled off and clunking around.

Ah well, such is the life of a Jeep owner. I wouldn't have it any other way!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.