Driving without esp - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Driving without esp

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I started to say that it might still apply the brakes on the ramps because of the ERM (electronic roll mitigation) system. Then I double checked my owners manual and found out that doing the steering wheel dance also disables the ERM system. This is on my 2011. Will have to do the dance. I have tried it before and haven't gotten it to work yet. Gotta try again.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:38 AM   #17
hub0619
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well looks like I'm keeping it off if all I gotta do is drive safer in bad weather That is untill I get a flashcal or something similar to program the computer. Heard that helps with the large tires around turns
hub0619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #18
hub0619
2010 JK Wrangler 

And just forgot to add the dance really isn't that bad. I got it first try
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #19
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangFoo View Post
This ^^^^; mine has been off for a while - no issues and all the better with onramps.
noobie picking up my first jeep today sorry for the question but:

how does the esp affect on-ramp performance?

Isn't ESP like a cheap limited slip differential kind of thing?

Thanks
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
R3dRid3r
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
I started to say that it might still apply the brakes on the ramps because of the ERM (electronic roll mitigation) system. Then I double checked my owners manual and found out that doing the steering wheel dance also disables the ERM system. This is on my 2011. Will have to do the dance. I have tried it before and haven't gotten it to work yet. Gotta try again.
What does ERM do?

Just starting to learn about Jeeps.

Thanks
R3dRid3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:13 AM   #21
hub0619
2010 JK Wrangler 

ERM is electronic roll mitigation. It detects the speed and angle of the steering wheel and automatically applies your brakes so that you don't start rolling your vehicle on a turn
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #22
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_x View Post
i hate all the newer driving aids cars have. We all know in inclement weather to slow down right?
Lol, exactly. That's why there are five SUV's/trucks in the ditches along the highway every first big snowfall of the year...

George Carlin said it right: "Imagine how stupid the average person is... now realize that half the people you meet are dumber than that!"
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #23
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

The solution to stupidity is simple. Remove all the warning labels and safety devices. Then let nature take its course.
Unread 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Agreed, one can apply the same principle to hundreds of other things, however the pendulum has swung too far to the left to hope for any policy changes that will begin to remove any safety/nanny regulations. Not to say that nature can't still fix the issue...
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Still can't get the steering wheel dance done. Tried 3 or 4 times today and it did not work. put in 4H, turned clockwise half turn, pressed and held button and got the ESC off message and beeps, turned to center then to half turn counter clockwise, at this point the ESC message is still in the display and when I hit the button again it goes out and nothing else happens. Might have to take it to the dealer.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.