Driving without Axle shaft - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Driving without Axle shaft

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
A rag stuffed in the axle tube will solve the lack of inner axle issue. I still wouldn't drive anywhere, on any D30, without a stub shaft installed.
he is not on a D30 he is D60's looking at the info.

Unread 07-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
he is not on a D30 he is D60's looking at the info.
Nowhere did anyone say the OP was dealing with a D60.

Everything I posted about driving with no stub shaft and the tone wheel location was based on stock parts.

I have no idea what the OP has for hubs on his D60.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post

Everything I posted about driving with no stub shaft and the tone wheel location was based on stock parts.

Running stock D44 outers, so this is why I didn't mention it was a D60, as to the subject it was not relevant.
xflstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xflstl View Post
Running stock D44 outers, so this is why I didn't mention it was a D60, as to the subject it was not relevant.
OK.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #20
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post

I still wouldn't drive anywhere, on any D30, without a stub shaft installed.

^^^^this is what I was referring too
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post

I still wouldn't drive anywhere, on any D30, without a stub shaft installed.

^^^^this is what I was referring too
It's not a daily driver, so I really could care less about the stub shaft part of this!!

So the whole story goes: I had just got my rig back from BOR, it had been there for over 3 months. Getting new Hemi, tranny, drive shafts, axles, and a evo double throwdown suspension front and rear. So I was hot to get it out on the trail, when I picked it up everything worked flawlessly!!! Got it out to a small local place to off road, and I put it threw the ringer... Damaged the passenger A-piller (minor) got into the driver fender (minor) and at the end of the day busted a u-joint and mucked up the passenger stub shaft... So pulled both long and stub shaft, put it back together including the wheel spacer and 42" tire, and drove it home. (insert here the OMG don't do that speech's). While trying to air up to leave my OBA stopped working, on the way home I noticed Cruise Control didn't work, after I got home I realized remote start didn't work... Once home and trying to debug the OBA I realized the front ARB locker had stopped working as well. So after everything was working fine, then seemingly everything falling apart nearly at once, I was inch's away from calling my installer and throwing a fit!!!

However I decide to debug it myself the best I could, after about an hour of using a test light I tracked down a very well hidden fuse for my OBA, replaced that---problem solved.

Spent another 30 or so minutes with the test light tracking down a loose wire on my front ARB---problem solved.

So I still had the cruise control and remote start, that's when I posted up here. Got a lot of good idea's but nothing seemed to pan out. At this point after the calamity of crap that stopped working I was sure it was something simple and easy, loose wire here or toast fuse there, something....... After hours of trying random thing's I was about to take it up to BOR and have them look at it to see if something went wrong in there programming. However a buddy of mine (Jeep dealer mech) wanted to take it into work on hook it up to the computer and see what he could see.

Moral of the story?? RANDOM CRAP can all happen at once!!!!! 4 issues all starting at aprox the same time, all unrelated!!!!!! GO FIGURE.

So a hood sensor fixed the remote start problem, and the typical clock spring was the cruise control's issue.

All fixed now, thanks to all for the idea's.

Now to just get my stub shaft replaced before my wheel falls off and forces me to run over a Prius.
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #22
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quick question. If you just dropped 40 grand on everything, what was another 1000 dollars to have Dana60 outers and never have to worry again?

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #23
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Quick question. If you just dropped 40 grand on everything, what was another 1000 dollars to have Dana60 outers and never have to worry again?
Very fair question. An honest answer would consist of me telling you that I am a dumb arse. I had just got a new set of 5on5 spyderlock wheels, so naturally I wanted to keep them! I did not realize that ordering an D60 axle that kept the 5on5 pattern meant that it would have a D44 outer. So lack of knowledge and research on my part was / is this issue. Now that I am schooled on this fact, the spyderlock wheels will be going on my GF's JK (She wants some anyway) and I will be upgrading my outer to most likely a 6 lug and getting new rims.
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I'm surprised that rob or Ian didn't remind you of that, let alone push out a unfinished project. That's very unlike robs level of OCD

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #25
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I'm surprised that rob or Ian didn't remind you of that, let alone push out a unfinished project. That's very unlike robs level of OCD
I have nothing but good things to say about the quality that bor put out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.