Driving without Axle shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Driving without Axle shaft

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Driving without Axle shaft

I broke a u-joint this last weekend, been driving around without the passenger side long & stub shaft in. Im curious can or does this effect the speed sensor in the unit bearing? Asking as my Cruise control has stopped working at the same time the shaft & stub shaft were pulled.

Thanks.

xflstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xflstl View Post
...been driving around without the passenger side long & stub shaft in. .
STOP. The stub shaft holds the unit hub together. The unit hub will separate, and the tire will fall off without the stub shaft installed.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
STOP. The stub shaft holds the unit hub together. The unit hub will separate, and the tire will fall off without the stub shaft installed.
Thanks for the warning, but this was true on the TJ unit bearing's, the JK unit bearing you are supposed to be able to drive on without the stub shaft.. regardless it is now parked until my parts come in, I am just trying to find out if the lack of a stub shaft is causing my Cruise control issues.

Thanks
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

You can drive without the stub shaft in a JK, but removing the inner shaft will open the diff axle seal up and you will/may loose fluid out the axle housing...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The ABS sensor for wheel speed is inside the hub. Removing the axle shaft will have no effect on the speed sensor.

See this thread for a picture of the disassembled hub: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...23/?highlight=
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

When the joint went did it damage the wires, I had something damage the wires when off roading and all the lights came on as you describe. I spiced the two wires back together and it's all good.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A rag stuffed in the axle tube will solve the lack of inner axle issue. I still wouldn't drive anywhere, on any D30, without a stub shaft installed.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
A rag stuffed in the axle tube will solve the lack of inner axle issue. I still wouldn't drive anywhere, on any D30, without a stub shaft installed.
Not with your XJ, but it's completely OK with the JK.
The 2wd JK uses the same hub as the 4wd, and it goes everywhere with no stub shaft.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The ABS sensor for wheel speed is inside the hub. Removing the axle shaft will have no effect on the speed sensor.

See this thread for a picture of the disassembled hub: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/o...23/?highlight=
So any clue what could cause both Cruise and remote start to stop working??? I have no visible codes...
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

If your traction control light is on, it will cause both to stop working. It's safety disabled in the ECM

I can't recall if the tone ring is on the shaft or in the bearing.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6
If your traction control light is on, it will cause both to stop working. It's safety disabled in the ECM

I don't remember anything on the front axle shafts, must be in the bearing? But it could be measuring the speed of the inner portion of the bearing and it's not equal to the speed of the wheel. If so that would definitely piss off the system.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post

On the front axle it must be in the unit bearing, because it isn't on the axle shaft....

So if I click the traction control button, there by turning on the light, the cruise wont work?
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

There is 2 lights on your HUD. TC "off" and TC/ESC error. The error light is right next to the normal one and looks the same, just smaller. If your error light is on your systems fall into safe mode and become disabled. If a tone ring isn't reading, IE no movement - you'll get the error

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xflstl View Post
On the front axle it must be in the unit bearing, because it isn't on the axle shaft....

I guess you didn't look at the thread I linked to for you.

It shows the tone ring inside the hub, where it mounts to the spindle, which makes it spin at the same rate as the wheel.
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #15
xflstl
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
I guess you didn't look at the thread I linked to for you.

It shows the tone ring inside the hub, where it mounts to the spindle, which makes it spin at the same rate as the wheel.
Yes I looked at it :-)

At this point I am leaning twords maybe I didn't get the sensor plugged back in / screwed down all the way or something. Guess I will find out when I get my new stub shaft and u-joint put together and reinserted.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.