Driving with different gears front and rear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Driving with different gears front and rear

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
sheila_the_xj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Driving with different gears front and rear

Hey guys, today I installed an axle that has 5.13s, and I have an appointment tomorrow to get the rear regeared to 5.13s. Will it be ok to drive to the appt with the drive shaft installed as long as I don't put it in 4wd? Or do I need to remove the driveshaft?

Thanks
Dustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootz View Post
how would she know about boxes on the porch, unless the porch is right beside the kitchen? Confused:confused::confused:
Quote:
jeeps earn nicknames. a zj on 31's, hhmmmm. Mallcrawl would work so would headingtothestoreformilkandeggs or maybe hardcoreforhighway
Quote:
damn, your barracks have actual wallboard and hardwood floors? you must be AF
sheila_the_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

To be honest, I would feel much safer pulling the front shaft.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Really depends on how many people drive your Jeep! You'll be fine running around in 2wd, but be extra careful that you (or anyone else) doesn't go to 4wd!!! Like JT said, pulling the front shaft or removing the shift cable from your transfer case would be extra insurance until your front gears are changed out. Note I drove around with my 4.88's in the front axle assembly (3.73's in the rear) until I did the rear end for about a week or so. However, I was the only one driving the rig around!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
sheila_the_xj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius
Really depends on how many people drive your Jeep! You'll be fine running around in 2wd, but be extra careful that you (or anyone else) doesn't go to 4wd!!! Like JT said, pulling the front shaft or removing the shift cable from your transfer case would be extra insurance until your front gears are changed out. Note I drove around with my 4.88's in the front axle assembly (3.73's in the rear) until I did the rear end for about a week or so. However, I was the only one driving the rig around!
Thanks that helps a lot, I think I'm gonna leave it in, I'm the only one that drives it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootz View Post
how would she know about boxes on the porch, unless the porch is right beside the kitchen? Confused:confused::confused:
Quote:
jeeps earn nicknames. a zj on 31's, hhmmmm. Mallcrawl would work so would headingtothestoreformilkandeggs or maybe hardcoreforhighway
Quote:
damn, your barracks have actual wallboard and hardwood floors? you must be AF
sheila_the_xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.