Drive train noise...bearings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Drive train noise...bearings?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #1
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Drive train noise...bearings?

Sorry to add another noise question to this forum, but I've been searching for months for similar threads. I have a 2011 JK with 6spd and 80k miles. It does have the TOB noise in neutral. What I'm concerned about is that when I'm driving and the engine is under a load (uphill) the engine makes a noise that I can only describe as a mid to high pitch clank...clank....clank....noise. Not too loud, but definitely noticeable by me. I'm concerned it may be a crankshaft bearing noise.

It makes a similar noise at a faster rate if I take off slowly in first without giving it enough gas. It's like the noise the engine will make right before it dies. It will usually do this at about 2000 to 2500 rpm. The Jeep did have a cold air intake on it when I got it and when I took it off to clean it I found evidence of dirt in the intake and the return breather hose. I'm concerned that I may need to do something to prevent ruining the engine.

SuperDave94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Is the noise slow enough to be related to a drive shaft joint? Axle U joint? I would look at simple things first. Hakam's Razor...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

I suppose it's possible. I can't rule it out, but it sounds like it's coming from the engine and sounds more like an engine noise.
Unread 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
ncb

Sounds like detonation. My 2009 pings if I don't run premium gas.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #5
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
Sounds like detonation. My 2009 pings if I don't run premium gas.
Have you checked out your knock sensor?
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet
Have you checked out your knock sensor?
Not yet. Planning to replace because it's fairly inexpensive.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Not slow enough for that and it's more of an erratic sound. I would guess maybe it's because of the gearing and tires? Also suspicious that it's clutch related or because of the CAI....I would like to fix it to prevent later damage, but I don't think a mechanic with a better trained ear will be able to reproduce it. I'll surely be changing a clutch soon so if that doesn't solve it I'll move forward with diagnosing this as an engine noise. Unless something else comes to light.
Unread 08-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

its not just a heat shield broken loose is it? Its common for the welded on heat shields to break a weld and make noise.

Have you tried running premium gas? If it is detonation that should clear it up and point in the right direction.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #9
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Is this a heat shield on the exhaust? On the header or further down the exhaust system? I have run mid grade and seems to stay the same. I'll try premium this week.
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Heat shields look okay. I guess I'm bound to find out eventually. Sure is hard to listen to though. Sounds expensive....I've got some lights on my dash now though so .......priorities.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.