The dreaded DW - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > The dreaded DW

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Closed Thread
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Bs imnsho.

"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
Unread 08-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
Downwindtracker

Dw

DW is worse in heavier front ends. My '91 XJ went over 500,000KM with nothing done to the front end.(left-over AMC parts) My '08 Dodge 3500,had me parking it at 150K. New Mopar ball joints have been loose since the beginning of time, or at least the last 50 years. Then they get worse. A bad right front u-joint got the shakes going.
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ You're also talking about vehicles that are nearly 20 years apart. Fact is that modern vehicles are not designed/built to last more than 3 years before parts start failing. That's how auto manufacturers keep their dealers happy.
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
Downwindtracker

Dw

Sloppy ball joints from the factory have been on Chrysler products since the mid 60s and I've had to replace them.3 years is about right. The wife's two Chrysler Cherokees had wandering issues. Never DW. It's caught up to them with the solid axel 5-link front end and all those rubber bushings. Maybe our new JK is going to last, but I'm not betting on it.
Unread 08-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

I had the DW blues on my 2012 JK with 9K miles - replaced the stock ball joints. DW vanished in thin air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwindtracker View Post
Sloppy ball joints from the factory have been on Chrysler products since the mid 60s and I've had to replace them.3 years is about right. The wife's two Chrysler Cherokees had wandering issues. Never DW. It's caught up to them with the solid axel 5-link front end and all those rubber bushings. Maybe our new JK is going to last, but I'm not betting on it.
2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
Unread 08-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #21
suspensionguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Guys Im not trying to sell anything to anyone seeing as my shop is in South Africa.I am only trying to put my 2cents in.In this forum there are a lot of discussion on this topic and I am sure that with all the advice given there are still a few Jeeps out there that still have DW after trying everything.I havent seen a post that recommends what I do so that is why I posted it.A lot of times(inSA) suspension shops will promise the sun moon and stars to customers and after spending thousands they still have the same problem.All the points you make are valid and correct,although I dont agree that a well setup vehicle can drive without a damper.
The bracket I built can be made by anyone with a welder and grinder.It mounts to the toe bar with u bolts and to the chassis crossbrace that runs under the radiator with u bolts.The damper then bolts onto the brackets.
Try it before you slam it
Unread 08-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #22
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Can you post some pics?

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:48 AM   #23
suspensionguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yes I will post some pics in the coming week.I have another customer lined up thursday.
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

how about some picks from under your 3.8L 2012 JK? Is your name Hinkley?

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Unread 08-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

If you spend any time on other forums you will see that death wobble happens to ford's and even toyotas, probably chevy's too but they havent had a solid axle in forever. I think it seems more common on jeeps because there is a higher percentage of lifted jeeps with big tires that wear parts out faster.

I have even seen toyotas with stabilizers mounted to the frame and they were still having dw issues. If you have bad parts a stabilizer can't hide it. Even my leaf sprung Yj had dw ( shot track bar and shackle bushings).

A stabilizer just can't/shouldn't be used to cover up failing parts.
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspensionguy View Post
...although I dont agree that a well setup vehicle can drive without a damper.
This point of view demonstrates that you clearly do not understand the issues/underlying causes of DW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspensionguy View Post
The bracket I built can be made by anyone with a welder and grinder.It mounts to the toe bar with u bolts and to the chassis crossbrace that runs under the radiator with u bolts.The damper then bolts onto the brackets.
Try it before you slam it
We don't need to try anything. There is absolutely no need to use a "magic" steering stabilizer bracket, dual stabilizers, or any other kind of garbage. If you have death wobble, simply go and check out Planman's death wobble thread, diagnose your problems, and fix them systematically. At that point, once you've resolved your death wobble issues - (though I wouldn't recommend it) - you could theoretically take your steering stabilizer off, toss it in the garbage, and drive around with little-to-no issues except a harsher feeling in the steering wheel when you negotiate a bump/dip. Fact is that steering stabilizers, brackets or dual stabilizer systems DO NOT FIX OR CORRECT DEATH WOBBLE.

Thanks to Planman for this thorough, informative thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...bbles-1052221/

I'll note to anybody else: if you (or anybody else) are told to swap out a steering stabilizer, add a dual stabilizer, or get a magic bracket to fix death wobble - you are being shafted. Do yourself a favor and read Planman's thread.
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #27
suspensionguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well on that note seems that you guys have it all figured out and dont need any extra plans on the subject.Thanks for listening and all your input.I didnt start this thread to try and prove anyone wrong,just wanted to ad to the solution
Unread 08-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #28
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Donít give up so easily just because someone doesnít agree with you. Iím also very skeptical about this ďfixĒ you have but at the same time I also want to see what it is you are talking about. Kinda like giving you the benefit of doubt. New things, inventions, species and whatnot are being discovered all the time so perhaps you have stumbled upon something new that no one has thought of yet.

So, letís see what you have and are talking about. I know I want a peak.
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #29
kosmos

2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't even run a SS - No more DW. When I did have it, it was bad
followed Planman thread - the final fix for me was replace ball joints.

2012 JK Rubicon in Flame Red, ACE Rock Sliders, LoD Stubby Stinger front, LoD Stubby rear,Rock-Krawler 3.5" X factor Pro mid-arm, RCV ultimate front axles, Warn PP HP, 37" KM2s on AEV Savegre wheels, 10 Factory rear axles,MC front Fenders, Reid Knuckles,aFe Cold Air
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #30
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Point in case!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.