Drain Plug Leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Drain Plug Leak?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
medicbear
2007 JK Wrangler 

Drain Plug Leak?

So i have my oil changed at a shop because I didnt have anywhere to do it myself at the time.. Well the other day I dropped something and it rolled under my JK as I crawled under there I see oil dripping... Hmm dont recall haveing an oil leak... So I look to see where its comeing from.. Its dripping from the drain plug.. Well since all my tools are packed up for my coming deployment I dont have anything to check its tightness myself.. Its an 07 with right around 68k on it.. Looking at the nut I tried twisting it by hand didnt move so thats good.. Well looks like when they changed the oil they put a washer in there ( at least I think they might have since it looks relativley new)... Checked oil level and well im assuming I was about a hair away from the light coming on...anyway should there be a metal washer on the bolt? Any vehicle I have changed the oil on always had a gasket of some sort and the bolt, no washer... any input? Would this be why the oil is leaking?

www.militaryjeepers.com come check us out
medicbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicbear View Post
So i have my oil changed at a shop because I didnt have anywhere to do it myself at the time.. Well the other day I dropped something and it rolled under my JK as I crawled under there I see oil dripping... Hmm dont recall haveing an oil leak... So I look to see where its comeing from.. Its dripping from the drain plug.. Well since all my tools are packed up for my coming deployment I dont have anything to check its tightness myself.. Its an 07 with right around 68k on it.. Looking at the nut I tried twisting it by hand didnt move so thats good.. Well looks like when they changed the oil they put a washer in there ( at least I think they might have since it looks relativley new)... Checked oil level and well im assuming I was about a hair away from the light coming on...anyway should there be a metal washer on the bolt? Any vehicle I have changed the oil on always had a gasket of some sort and the bolt, no washer... any input? Would this be why the oil is leaking?
It should have a crush washer on the bolt. Take it back to the place you had the oil changed, show them, and have them make it right!

Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, it needs a NEW crush washer each time it is changed. Some cheapo shops will use the old one and it usually leaks...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

or get a Fomoto valve. makes things ezpzy
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

The FUMOTO valve is a great idea, saves all troubles and mess problems when changing your oil and oil change can be done in 4/5 minutes, but--

The valve is dangerously exposed and you better have skid protection, long story. but it depends on your wants--

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

For sure it need a skid the protects it. Or it may dump the oil on that obstical. With the skid I have no valve and oil is collected in the skid.

It will slide better with all that oil on the rock.
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Heh Heh, yup, it'll slide better alright, for someone else-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
For sure it need a skid the protects it. Or it may dump the oil on that obstical. With the skid I have no valve and oil is collected in the skid.

It will slide better with all that oil on the rock.
You'd be dead in the water, unless you're prepared for that "mishap"-

Course then they'll probasbly close that trail too-

The never ending story-I'm skidded and prepared, just in case-

JIMBO
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a gallon of oil and gear oil, its a Jeep pluss or club has enough stuff on any run to about fix anything. I have a spill kit as wellBUT thats kinds after the fact..

I do love that fomoto valve worth every penny.

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thats great, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I have a gallon of oil and gear oil, its a Jeep pluss or club has enough stuff on any run to about fix anything. I have a spill kit as wellBUT thats kinds after the fact..

I do love that fomoto valve worth every penny.

Remember, if the F-vlv ever breaks off, you've gotta be able to remove the threaded portion and have a NEW F-vlv, or your original drain plug-

The chances of that accident are pretty remote, but being prep'd for it is free and takes no addition storage space-

I carry an EASYOUT and orig. drain plug along/w a thread chaser for that size, don't remember what size it is-

I travel solo and I've carried that "whatif replacement" for over 13 years--never had to useit-"Ranger/F150/Xterra/jeep-

I use the "Rockhard" engine/xfer skid

Kinda like using a parachute with an "emergency rip cord"-(well maybe not quite), never had to use one, but it's kinda reassuring to haveit !

Good day

JIMBO
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the stock plug in the nut bolts washers bag. I run the RR skid with the access plate. But a should pack that easy out set that sits in the box at home. Man if I pack much more wont be room for food and water. lol but if i had to i would wittle wood and jam it in lol

I try to run in a pack. BUT at times it is a matter of going or not. I have a trip I am setting up to run the Dusy and not easy to find people that will go from here. I hope that in the next few months before the trip I get at least 1 or 2, if not I will do it alone. at my age waiting is not an option.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.