Double Din Install Bracket questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Double Din Install Bracket questions

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #1
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Double Din Install Bracket questions

So I went to a local audio shop and bought what was supposedly everything I needed to put in my Pioneer head unit.

This included the mounting kit, a harness adapter, and the pac module.

When I got home and tried it the harness was wrong it didnt mate to my vehicle harness. and the module was the pac swi-rc which i later realized can be used to achieve the goal of keeping my 2012 steering wheel controls but this particular product requires a second module.

I didnt do any real research before jumping into this and probably should have. So I was surprised when I realized that the darned radio harness lacked a acc on wire and a illumination wire. So I looked up and of course the Chryco unit communicates digitally. As a temporary solution i have taped into the 12v side of the keyed cigarette lighter. but eventually I would at the very least like to get the radio tapped into the lights so it dims the gps screen at night.

So here are my questions for the experts who have done this job.

1. The double din doesn't fit the metal bracket. Its removed easy enough but does anyone make a replacement for the bracket that does fit the unit? I really do not like that the plastic dash is all that is supporting my radio.

2. I get that I need an expensive adapter to retain the steering controls, but do I also need an adapter to get the Dimmer to work? I mean I dont mind piggy backing the 12v on off of the cigarette lighter but is there a good location just to tap into the lighting and be done with it? what exact modules do i need?

I have the radio installed now and it works. but I would like to go back later and do the install properly. I will probably wait until I get my hands on a reverse cam setup then tear back into it.

Unread 05-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

For a 2012 or 85?

On my 2014, assuming it's a 2012, I cut the bottom of the metal bracket (I needed to retain dash support and my ram mounts from the center bolt) and used the RP4-CH11 adapter, which contains both the harness and steering wheel controls in one. They sell both of those separately if you only need one or the other. I had the base stereo and added an amp at the same time so I had to run the speaker wires from the harness to the amp. Your HU has to accept remote input on the rear for the steering wheel controls to work.
rp4-ch11-wiring-005-medium-.jpg   rp4-ch11-wiring-medium-.jpg  

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
For a 2012 or 85?

On my 2014, assuming it's a 2012, I cut the bottom of the metal bracket (I needed to retain dash support and my ram mounts from the center bolt) and used the RP4-CH11 adapter, which contains both the harness and steering wheel controls in one. They sell both of those separately if you only need one or the other. I had the base stereo and added an amp at the same time so I had to run the speaker wires from the harness to the amp. Your HU has to accept remote input on the rear for the steering wheel controls to work.
So with the ch11, your radio was able to get the on off and dimmer signals, you didn't have to run a separate module? That was my main confusion.
Unread 05-13-2015, 03:37 AM   #4
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

That is correct. My radio shuts off just like the factory one did and the lighting dims when I turn on my headlights.

Unread 05-13-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
That is correct. My radio shuts off just like the factory one did and the lighting dims when I turn on my headlights.
Ok.cool. From what I had seen, I got the impression that there was a second module needed top interpret the signal needed for those functions. But I'm glad to know the pac does the job for you.

Were the wiring instructions pretty clear?
Unread 05-13-2015, 04:07 AM   #6
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyUKnow View Post
Ok.cool. From what I had seen, I got the impression that there was a second module needed top interpret the signal needed for those functions. But I'm glad to know the pac does the job for you.

Were the wiring instructions pretty clear?
Judge for yourself...I didn't use them.

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_050913.pdf

Unread 05-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Judge for yourself...I didn't use them.

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_050913.pdf
What did you use?
Unread 05-13-2015, 08:02 AM   #8
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just read through a bunch of threads for the last 4 wires (yellow, black, red, orange white).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.