Dot 3 Brake fluid. Does it matter??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Dot 3 Brake fluid. Does it matter???

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

Dot 3 Brake fluid. Does it matter???

Hey guys,

Want to know what dot 3 brake fluid I should use when flushing my '12? I have two bottles of DOT3 napa...is that good enough or is it ****ty? I live in the rust belt so do you think I need one with extra corrosion inhibitors? or is this good

Thanks,
Chris

ctappan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

DOT 3 is fine, but you can use DOT4.

here is some info on the grades.
http://ebcbrakes.com/product/ecb-brake-fluids-index/
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctappan94 View Post
Hey guys,

Want to know what dot 3 brake fluid I should use when flushing my '12? I have two bottles of DOT3 napa...is that good enough or is it ****ty? I live in the rust belt so do you think I need one with extra corrosion inhibitors? or is this good

Thanks,
Chris
rha600 is correct.

But if either of those bottles has been open for a while I wouldn't use it. I'd stick with fresh fluid that hasn't had the chance to pick up any moisture.

Any reason you are changing the fluid after just one year or so?
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

Reason isn't because of brake fade or anything. I'm mounting my 37's soon so I want to have the brakes in tip-top shape. lol. I like a stiffer feel. IDK about you but my JK brakes have never felt as stiff or responsive as my friend's lifted TJ on 33's with stock brakes.. His stops on a dime with the 33's and yet my 32's ... not so much
ctappan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

use DOT 3

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

As mentioned, the big thing to make sure is that they're newly-opened bottles. Once you break that seal the fluid absorbs moisture which is not what you want in your lines. This is also why you should flush/bleed your brakes every couple of years.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Reason isn't because of brake fade or anything. I'm mounting my 37's soon so I want to have the brakes in tip-top shape. lol. I like a stiffer feel. IDK about you but my JK brakes have never felt as stiff or responsive as my friend's lifted TJ on 33's with stock brakes.. His stops on a dime with the 33's and yet my 32's ... not so much
good reason to change the fluid!

The electronic safety stuff is probably a lot of the reason the brakes feel softer.

There are some beefier brake systems you may want to look into for those 37s.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Rooster76
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiblet

good reason to change the fluid!

The electronic safety stuff is probably a lot of the reason the brakes feel softer.

There are some beefier brake systems you may want to look into for those 37s.
Teraflex has a bigger break kit, or you can just buy the master cylinder that gives more flow. I cannot say anything good or bad about it. I just happened to run across it doing a search awhile back.

This is the master cylinder
http://www.teraflex.biz/brake-master...ized-bore.html
Unread 06-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Then his TJ must have been a special edition. My JK on 35's stops almost as quick as my buddies LJ on 33's with blaines big brake kit. I rode in his LJ when he had stock brakes and 33's and it was scary.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.