doors off, rear floor mats go airborne - fixed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > doors off, rear floor mats go airborne - fixed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

doors off, rear floor mats go airborne - fixed

This is pretty simple and extremely inexpensive.

Supplies:
Hot glue gun
(2) 2-packs of wide industrial strength sticky back velcro

I was afraid that the velcro would not have a solid enough contact surface to stick to the bottom side of the floor mat, so I applied the hot glue before sticking the pads down.

Let it cool for a few minutes before attaching the other pieces of velcro (so you don't have to worry about proper alignment when attaching to the jeep carpet). Remove backing, carefully set floor mats back in place, and apply pressure to the velcro areas.

This should keep them from flying off the next time you remove your doors

forumrunner_20110419_083748.jpg   forumrunner_20110419_083836.jpg  
Hi I'm terry and I like boobs, sheep, knives, guns, mobile homes, bomber hats and FSJs and old novas, the Ohio state buckeyes, younger women, planes, porsches, semi trucks, guys who spell their name THom, women who love cats and Prius', men who play or used to play rugby, thigh highs, red heads, blondes, brunettes, brown heads, and the dimples right above the crack of a womans bottom.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

wow! great fix! didn't have floor mats in my TJ so didn't even think this could be an issue.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
JackAce
2009 JK Wrangler 

i haven't gotten to take the doors off yet so i never thought about this either.
the front ones have those lock down things from the floor though, the rear one is just one huge strip but i wouldn't want it to fly out so i'll look into doing this. thanks!
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
treck4life
2011 JK Wrangler 

Haven't had a problem yet, drove down the freeway at 110 kph with the doors and roof off: A- it was freaking cold at -4 degrees but worth it :P and B- the slush mat didn't move but it's a good idea just incase

Good Idea
treck4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAce View Post
i haven't gotten to take the doors off yet so i never thought about this either.
the front ones have those lock down things from the floor though, the rear one is just one huge strip but i wouldn't want it to fly out so i'll look into doing this. thanks!
Is yours a 2-door, or did they change the floor mats for '11? My unlimited has two seperate floor mats...I didn't think it would be an issue because they have slots in them that go around the from to the rear seat, but they have flipped over and ended up sitting on the back seat on short trips at no more than 45mph - go figure Chrysler couldn't add the hold downs to the rear...that might have cost them an extra $1 per vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by treck4life View Post
Haven't had a problem yet, drove down the freeway at 110 kph with the doors and roof off: A- it was freaking cold at -4 degrees but worth it :P and B- the slush mat didn't move but it's a good idea just incase

Good Idea
Yeah I guess I should have clarified - probably only necessary with the 4-doors - what the hell were you doing with the doors and roof off in sub zero temps
Edit: I see yours is a 4-door...do you have one solid mat like Ace?
Hi I'm terry and I like boobs, sheep, knives, guns, mobile homes, bomber hats and FSJs and old novas, the Ohio state buckeyes, younger women, planes, porsches, semi trucks, guys who spell their name THom, women who love cats and Prius', men who play or used to play rugby, thigh highs, red heads, blondes, brunettes, brown heads, and the dimples right above the crack of a womans bottom.
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

I can attest that in a JK Unlimited with the doors off even that heavy 1-piece rubber slush mat in front of the back seat will rise off the floor about 1.5 feet and float there at 65mph. The little carpet mats that come standard would be history at that speed. I always threw a brick on each side of the floor mat. But Velcro is much more elegant. I'll be doing that for sure!

Layth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layth View Post
I can attest that in a JK Unlimited with the doors off even that heavy 1-piece rubber slush mat in front of the back seat will rise off the floor about 1.5 feet and float there at 65mph. The little carpet mats that come standard would be history at that speed. I always threw a brick on each side of the floor mat. But Velcro is much more elegant. I'll be doing that for sure!

yeah, loose bricks in your rig might not be the best idea in the event of a wreck
Unread 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Layth
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
yeah, loose bricks in your rig might not be the best idea in the event of a wreck
In fairness, the steak-knives I tried first weren't heavy enough.

Would you mind sharing what store (or type of store) you found those large, heavy-duty Velcro pads at? Seems like every time I need some all I find are those wussy little round quarter-sized pads.
Layth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
JackAce
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Is yours a 2-door, or did they change the floor mats for '11? My unlimited has two seperate floor mats...I didn't think it would be an issue because they have slots in them that go around the from to the rear seat, but they have flipped over and ended up sitting on the back seat on short trips at no more than 45mph - go figure Chrysler couldn't add the hold downs to the rear...that might have cost them an extra $1 per vehicle
nah i have a 4 door but my floormats are the rubber aftermarket ones from quadratic
Unread 04-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layth View Post
In fairness, the steak-knives I tried first weren't heavy enough.

Would you mind sharing what store (or type of store) you found those large, heavy-duty Velcro pads at? Seems like every time I need some all I find are those wussy little round quarter-sized pads.
Lowes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAce View Post
nah i have a 4 door but my floormats are the rubber aftermarket ones from quadratic
Ahhh, copy
Unread 04-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
treck4life
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove

Lowes

Ahhh, copy
Ya its one solid piece, and I'm canadian If I don't try it in sub zero then I will never try it out hahaha jk it was just a cold night it's was fun and the without my cheesy seat earners I probably would have dies lol
treck4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
mdc144
2009 JK Wrangler 

looking through the mods section of FAQ...ran accross this one a little late. Took my floormats out long ago after they flew around the jeep at high speed. No idea what I did with them...
mdc144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc144 View Post
looking through the mods section of FAQ...ran accross this one a little late. Took my floormats out long ago after they flew around the jeep at high speed. No idea what I did with them...
Glad you brought this up - I need to redo mine, as I replaced the stockers with weathertech digital fits...

Mike
Unread 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
BlueLesPaul2006
2012 JK Wrangler 

I just take mine out. but I may try this

Dang, all this time and I thought it was the famous Jeep Wave!! ~bluegrassguitar
BlueLesPaul2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

The 2011 I have came with two in the back, not the one piece.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.