Doors off hardstop still on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Doors off hardstop still on

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Jeep JK Wrangler NEW Heat Reducing Performance Vented HoodARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 09-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
cdj588

Doors off hardstop still on

This may sound dumb but I was thinking about it today. Is it safe to drive a 4 door with the hardtop on and all 4 doors off? Especially on the highway going like 70 or more.

I was thinking today thats alot of wind resistance that gets caught in the back of the jeep. Could it rip the top off?

Also, is it ok to to just take the 2 top panels off and leave the rear on?

cdj588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
percival
2012 JK Wrangler 

no problems here.. to answer both your questions.
percival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
00XJsport
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do it with the soft top all the time, I feel like since the hard top is bolted on it would be even safer.

2000 XJ Sport, 4.0L, 4x4, NP231, Auto, Flowmaster D50.
00XJsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

Done it both way for years. You will not have any problems. Tee tops off and front doors off. From about 4 years ago.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
Done it both way for years. You will not have any problems. Tee tops off and front doors off. From about 4 years ago.

That was just before the mall cops showed up...........................

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

I actually open up the back window when I'm riding that way (doors off/roof on, not mall crawling lmao). It give the wind someplace to go, IMO.
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcan View Post
I actually open up the back window when I'm riding that way (doors off/roof on, not mall crawling lmao). It give the wind someplace to go, IMO.
If you check the back gate you'll actually see that there is a vented opening for this very reason.

Hardtop on, doors off is how I've spent all summer. Up to 75mph on the freeway as well as cruising around town.

I get the open air, while keeping the sun off my head.

(full disclosure, I STILL haven't gotten my hoist installed, so I haven't take the hardtop completely off since I don't have anywhere to store it).
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
tomsryt
2012 JK Wrangler 

67Alecto:
you mentioned you haden't taken your top off because of not having a winch.
I just backed into my garage, after putting eye bolts into the ceiling joists,(my living room floor), and did the following:
Loosen and remove all the bolts from the top,
Lift the front section enough to slide a 2x4 under the front section, (if alone, leave one bolt loosely connected in the furthest rear hole so the roof dosen't slide off),
Slide another 2x4under the rear section of the hard top.
I went to Lowes and bought a 4 Pack of strap ties and lifted the top about 1" above the vehicle.
Drive out from under, incrementally raise the top to the elevation needed, and from then on just park under it.
Just be sure the 2x4's are verticle, not flat, and they are plenty strong for the task.
I did this with my brand new Sahara, and had no problems. Takes about 40 minutes if you do it alone, and I advise having a person there the first time to control the tendency for the top to slide back. (I had my daughter stand by, no sweat).
tomsryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

If the air pressure inside the Jeep rises AT ALL above the pressure outside the Jeep, no more air will get in until the pressure is relieved. What that means is that the high pressure inside will be constantly relieved by the air flowing right back OUT the door (and the vent). If the roof is attached, it won't go anywhere, and there's no way it'll blow out a window.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
CJsPerson
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post

My daughter calls that "princess carriage mode" on mine.

I off road because I have a Jeep. I don't have a Jeep because I off road. Above all my Jeep is a convertible. That's where my love is for the brand ...convertible overkill
CJsPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
67alecto
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsryt View Post
67Alecto:
you mentioned you haden't taken your top off because of not having a winch.
I just backed into my garage, after putting eye bolts into the ceiling joists,(my living room floor), and did the following:
Loosen and remove all the bolts from the top,
Lift the front section enough to slide a 2x4 under the front section, (if alone, leave one bolt loosely connected in the furthest rear hole so the roof dosen't slide off),
Slide another 2x4under the rear section of the hard top.
I went to Lowes and bought a 4 Pack of strap ties and lifted the top about 1" above the vehicle.
Drive out from under, incrementally raise the top to the elevation needed, and from then on just park under it.
Just be sure the 2x4's are verticle, not flat, and they are plenty strong for the task.
I did this with my brand new Sahara, and had no problems. Takes about 40 minutes if you do it alone, and I advise having a person there the first time to control the tendency for the top to slide back. (I had my daughter stand by, no sweat).
Thanks - it's not that I haven't taken it off because of the winch, it's that I don't have anywhere to put it. I've helped others with JKs take the top off - it's more awkward than heavy. I don't have anywhere in my garage that I could store it, and that would only leave outside in the backyard, which I'm not willing to do. That leaves the winch option, with the top tucked against the ceiling of the garage.

My friend was supposed to help my install the harken hoister I purchased for the top, but he flaked out on me.
TF Leveling kit, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Rugged Ridge 8,500lb winch, Rugged Ridge Dual Tube Bumper (rear), 16x8 Procomp 7069 with 305/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Windshield KC HiLites, ACE Rock Sliders, ARB compressor, Yukon Zip locker (rear)
67alecto is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.