doors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > doors

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
hardwick48

doors

I have a 2007 JK Wrangler X. I bought it used 2 years ago. Last summer I decieded to remove the doors, to my suprise they would not come off. I read the owners manual and removed the retaining nuts and even sprayed the hinges with penetrating oil, but I could not remove them. Am I missing something or what? Any info would be greatfully appericeated.

hardwick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
MeatCurtains
2012 JK Wrangler 

If they have never been off they can be a nightmare. Just keep working them.

Some people have had to brace the bottom of the door with a 2x4 and use a jack.
MeatCurtains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

^Agree. Jack or more muscle. Mine are tough to take off after they have been on for a month or so. I just pull up really hard and wiggle the door. Just be careful not to smack yourself in the face.
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle
^Agree. Jack or more muscle. Mine are tough to take off after they have been on for a month or so. I just pull up really hard and wiggle the door. Just be careful not to smack yourself in the face.
Sounds like ya been there...
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Make sure you're lifting straight up as well.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
FreeLantz
Are we havin' fun yet?

2007 JK Wrangler 

I am not looking forward to the first time I take my doors off. I know they've never been off either.

facebook.com/groups/TX4WDSL
FreeLantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
Sounds like ya been there...
Yea...I was lifting on the top of the window frame when it came loose. The bottom of the frame got my face.
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeLantz View Post
I am not looking forward to the first time I take my doors off. I know they've never been off either.
Start hitting with PB Blaster or Kroil (or 50/50 acetone/ATF, but that won't penetrate as well) a week or two early.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

I found it helps to swing the door opened and closed (not crazy style) while lifting up from the bottom of the door. The first times are always the worst, but you'll get used to it, lol.
TWISTEDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

On my TJs and LJ I had to use a highlift jack, protect both the door and body of jeep. I put a piece plywood against the jeep tub and used a 2x4 on the bottom of the door. I applied pressure with the jack and slight rocked the doors back and forth.

Have two people, you'll need one to manage the jack and another to catch the door. when it pops loose it can pop right off the hinges completely.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #11
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

One of my doors was a b!tch the first time and I had only had the rig for a few weeks. I loosened the 3 bolts holding the top hinge to the body and it eased right out. I think poor alignment is what causes some doors to be more difficult than others. It's not always a corrosion issue.

During my third summer with the JK, I replaced the stock bushings with the Delrin type. Got them from Magnitude Engineering.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

I tend to remove my doors yearly so it isn't bad. My first jeep never had the doors off so I used WD-40 and a swinging motion to work them loose.

If you go the hi-lift/jack route be sure to get as close to the hinge side as possible to prevent bending the entire door.

Afterwards: lube those hinges up with some white lithium or get some of those teflon bushings so it'll never be a problem again.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.