Doorless, with top - picts and impressions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Doorless, with top - picts and impressions

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
jeepers3

Doorless, with top - picts and impressions

Last edited by jeepers3; 05-23-2007 at 02:03 PM..
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
caliwankers

Thanks for the pics. I have the same vehicle and you have now convinced me that I will never, ever take the doors off of mine. It just doesn't look right and based on the hassle you went through, I can't see how it makes sense. Also, I figured that the doors off went hand in hand with the top off. When it warms up and you get the top off, post some more pictures.

Congrats on getting it done. I hope that you enjoy it that way.

Cali
18" Wheels
Dual Top Group
6 Speed
caliwankers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
donkie

Try this again during the warmer months, you will like it much better then. It was nearly 80 here today, was next to a guy in a doorless and topless JK. Really made me miss my old Wrangler...
donkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
EagerJeeper

Some safari doors would look good.
EagerJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #5
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagerJeeper
Some safari doors would look good.
I agree. Something about a hard top still installed with the doors off just doesn't look righ. Either the safari doors or remove the top. Ok. Maybe wait for a temperature at least in the high 30's. We wouldn't want you to catch a cold.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
catchone
MOD or BUST!!!!

2007 JK Wrangler 

Now I know why some of Jeepers3's comments are a little off.

BRAIN FREEZE

Wow I would be wearing 2 parkas and a snowmobile suit in that weather.

Kudos for the stamina

I think I will follow tx-Skydiver's plan and wait till it's in the 80s to pull the top and doors

The mirror mount are a must.

Unread 03-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
jskidder

that really looks...strange. maybe doors off/top on would look better with a soft top or on a 2dr model.
6sp Manual
Power Convenience Group
18" Wheels[/CENTER]
jskidder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
koheed
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've always liked the look of top on, doors off. Guess I'm a bit odd for thinking that. Oh well, to each his own.

I love having my doors off!! Of course I don't have to deal with a power harness on each door. When I drive with the doors off my Jeep feels narrower and I feel like I have more control of the vehicle.
4" SA Skyjacker/BDS Hybrid, 33" MT/R's
Jeeperman Front & Rear Swing-Away Bumpers
Skid Row Engine/Oil Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid
Flowmaster 40
Herculiner
NEXT PROJECT: SYE and CV Drive Shaft
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/27018750@N00/"]My Pics[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]
koheed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
boidy7

I think it looks good, get some wings from the "farm" and meet me at the bush! i'm coming to alaska!!
boidy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
JeF4y

29 deg?! That's a heatwave in AK isn't it?

How'd you get heated seats???
Unread 03-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
PJRedd

One simple thing that makes it easier to take-off/put-on the doors is to leave the torx bolts off after you remove them the first time. I have run my TJ without the nuts on the door hinges for about 4 years now, never had any problems. When it's time for them to come off, I just open the door and lift up.
I know the power option adds another step, but the more you disconnect/reconnect the plugs, they seem to loosen up a bit and it gets easier.
I like the look of top on/no doors. I always preffered taking the doors off vs. the top, even when running the soft top. Maybe I just hink it looks cool because it looks so different?
Unread 03-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #12
redrom01
JCOB-4-LIFE

2007 JK Wrangler 

Even my Rubi without the power option has wiring runing to the doors. And I would have to agree that it was a pain to get the harness off when i didnt know how it worked. But once I figured it out (and it took me a bit) it was easy.

To release the wiring harness all you have to do is pull or push the red tab that is on the top of the harness. After that you simple squeeze the harness and it pulls right off.

______o00o
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

-Current Jeep-
2007 JK Rubi (Steel Blue)
Searching for an MJ

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
redrom01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
tx-Skydiver
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJRedd
One simple thing that makes it easier to take-off/put-on the doors is to leave the torx bolts off after you remove them the first time. I have run my TJ without the nuts on the door hinges for about 4 years now, never had any problems. When it's time for them to come off, I just open the door and lift up.
I know the power option adds another step, but the more you disconnect/reconnect the plugs, they seem to loosen up a bit and it gets easier.
I like the look of top on/no doors. I always preffered taking the doors off vs. the top, even when running the soft top. Maybe I just hink it looks cool because it looks so different?
Serious? Anybody have any negative experiences with that? I just may have to try it. Removing 8 nuts doesn't sound like much, but it sure is a PIA. They seem to turn forever before they are on or off.
2007 JK Wrangler Unlimited (Black), 4" SuperliftRanchoExpress Lift, 36" Super Swamper Irok's covering 16" ProComp's, AFE CAI, FlowMaster 40 Series, Shrockworks Rock Sliders, Rock Hard line of undercarriage skids, Warn Powerplant, Shrockworks Mid-width front bumper, Dana 44 Front
tx-Skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #14
otizzy

I've had no negative experiences with it. The original owner of my former TJ took the nuts off the first day he bought the Jeep in 98. I sold the Jeep to my friend, so I know for a fact there have been no issues in the 8.25 years driving around...my friend recently got into a pretty significant accident with the Jeep, and the doors didn't come off or anything.
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #15
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Your daring! I like it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.