Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Door removal - hinges or pin

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jwmbishop 
#1 ·
I've noticed the JKs with doors coming off now that it is summer, but they are taking the whole hinge off. Any reason why the whole hinge instead of just pulling the pin?

I haven't had mine off yet and came from a TJ.

#2 ·
There is no 'pin' to pull. The door side of the hinge stays on the door, the body side stays on the body. The 'pin' is a permanent part of the door side hinges.
If someone removed the door side of the hinge from the door, it's probably because they couldn't get the door off. They are pretty stubborn sometimes.

#3 ·
Bought mine a couple of months ago and the doors DID NOT want to come off. I assume the old lady that owned it before me never had them off. I sprayed some WD-40 in there and got the doors off with no trouble the next day.

Here's a quick video on how to remove them if you're still unsure:

#6 ·
Ditto on the Delrin bushings.

The first time I took my doors off, I had to pull one of the hinges then beat the crap out of it to get the hinges separated as the crap pot metal factory bushing had corroded.

Now have the Delrin bushings from Quadratec, doors always come off easy now.

#8 ·
I used the 9mm long socket to poop them out BTW>
:laugh2:

When you own a business a lot of folks seem to think you poop money. Nice to know where your inventory comes from...

:surprise:

#11 ·
How to do door removal of stuck door hinges

A friend brought hers over, a 2010, and pretty sure the doors had never been off. Its CO so, very hot summers, very cold snowy winters, stuff gets sticky! We could not bang that door free even with application of penetrating oil (though granted we only let it sit in about 10 minutes). They would not BUDGE. I hammered, pried, etc.

FINALLY - took my floor jack and a 4x4 block of wood, located the jack with wood under the door as close to frame as possible and bingo, pumped and bingo, off it came (have someone there to catch it!). The other 3 were easy once I knew this trick. And yes those internal parts are junk, clearly.

This did not hurt, bend, deform the door in any way.

#12 ·
A friend brought hers over, a 2010, and pretty sure the doors had never been off. Its CO so, very hot summers, very cold snowy winters, stuff gets sticky! We could not bang that door free even with application of penetrating oil (though granted we only let it sit in about 10 minutes). They would not BUDGE. I hammered, pried, etc.

FINALLY - took my floor jack and a 4x4 block of wood, located the jack with wood under the door as close to frame as possible and bingo, pumped and bingo, off it came (have someone there to catch it!). The other 3 were easy once I knew this trick. And yes those internal parts are junk, clearly.

This did not hurt, bend, deform the door in any way.
Been there done that and its NOT the best way lol... the catch part is tricky. Have never had a problem with mine - doors have been off and on too much to seize. But the second time I went for the jack on another jeep - I used a jack stand and two by four - put the jackstand up just enough to ever so slightly lift the door with the two by four along the door bottom, and had a 200 lb friend step up on the slider as I lifted door from window frame. Made it super easy - it came loose but not so fast or far that there was no controlling it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.