Door Rattle Fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Door Rattle Fix

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
motoxneve

Door Rattle Fix

Hello everyone, a little preface on to my problem that I've had since day one. I have a 2013 JKUR10A and when I would remove my hard top and there was no longer anything pressing against the top of the driver side rear door, every time I went over a bump it would rattle and drive me CRAZY. I know there are many threads dedicated to the infamous door rattle and I am aware that there is a TSB out there for it which call for the technician to just simply "apply grease to the striker plate and cycle the door" which I assure you I had no luck for me. I know others have had varying degrees of luck with the electrical tape fix as well but it is a temporary fix. I just wanted to post up my seemingly more long term fix that I think looks good as well. All you need is a tube of plasti-dip (not the aerosol) here are the steps:
  • Remove latch plate and backing plate with Torx bit
  • Clean latching bar with soap and water and dry it
  • Dip just the hoop into the tube of plasti-dip (you may need to hold the tube at an angle to get adequate coverage) and be sure not to coat the flat plate
  • Let dry for at least 4 hours
  • Reinstall backing plate and latch plate

latch.jpg   latch-2.jpg  
motoxneve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

wont the dip just wear off too?
Unread 08-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice clean fix but Iím thinking it is still a temp fix just like the tape one, although might last a bit longer. Only time will tell though.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
motoxneve

It may wear off, it's true only time will tell. I also greased the latch as well. I cycled the door probably 50ish times last night just to see how it would hold up and almost no change or damage to the dip occurred. I have this coated several tools with it for additional grip and put those through hell and its still holding tough so I'm remaining optimistic.
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

The door latch striker is position adjustable.
It just needed adjustment.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #6
motoxneve

how do you adjust the striker plate since there are only two holes and is held to the tub with self centering torx bolts
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
Marinerider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm interested as well. Driving on major roads and in cities is a beating listening to all the rattling.

Pete
Marinerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxneve View Post
how do you adjust the striker plate since there are only two holes and is held to the tub with self centering torx bolts
I loosened the striker bolts, pressed it upward a hair, re-tightened, and the clunk hasn't returned in about 5yrs. That was my driver side door. The passenger door was so misaligned (vertically) that I had to loosen the upper hinge bolts at the A-pillar to relieve the tension before I could even remove that door. The doors are adjustable in all three dimensions. I guess it's just a matter of degree.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxneve View Post
The tub is not threaded. There is a "captive plate" behind the tub sheet metal. The striker and captive "sandwich" the sheet metal.

Simply loosen the screws about one turn and tap the striker in the desired direction - the whole plate moves, tighten back down...

Expect minor paint damage at the striker...

Tags
door , door latch , fix , plasti-dip , rattle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.