Door lock removal or key duplicate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Door lock removal or key duplicate

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

Door lock removal or key duplicate

Hey everyone. In March, I will be trading my full doors with another forum member for his factory half doors. I was curious how hard it will be to swap our door lock mechanisms so we can keep our own key. Would it be easier to have a duplicate key cut for each of us and have an entry key and ignition key? I'm OK with either, but thought I'd see if it was much trouble to swap the locks out. I have an 08 if that makes any difference among the JKs. Thanks

TWISTEDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I can tell you installing them into a half door is easy peasy. I bought a half door kit that you need to paint and assemble. The locks were easy. Not sure about a full door with the windows though. I don't see it being that hard.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
getoffmyland
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ive done it on TJ doors, pop the panel and then you need to remove a clip and the pushrod. The clip can be tricky in the space.
getoffmyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

I dunno how similar the TJ and JKs are, but do you know if any special tools are needed?

Vin, did you buy factory half doors or aftermarket?
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTEDII View Post
I dunno how similar the TJ and JKs are, but do you know if any special tools are needed?

Vin, did you buy factory half doors or aftermarket?
They are Mopar half doors I bought from JeepsAreUs. They are local to me so I was able to pick them up. I dropped them off at a body shop to get painted, then I took them home and put them together (all over a course of a week. They needed time to cure). I used a simple socket set and screw drivers to put them together. Because I put them together I was able to have the whole hinge painted so I wouldn't have a problem with bubbling paint/rusting under the hinge and I was able to install power locks, so my key fob wouldn't be useless.

Total cost (for a 2 door) was 2 grand for the kit, $235 for the paint and 25 bucks to have the lock cylinders keyed. I see the kits have come down a bit, but you will have to kick in some cash to enjoy half doors. To me it was totally worth it and I plan on getting half doors for my new 4 door.
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

So basically with regular tools, nothing fancy, we should be able to meet up, take my full doors off, take his half doors off, and swap lock cylinders without much of a problem?
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

What about the rear gate, glove box, console and ignition?
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

What about them?

We are trading doors, so the door locks are the only thing that I need to keep of mine and swap from my doors to his.
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #9
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
So basically with regular tools, nothing fancy, we should be able to meet up, take my full doors off, take his half doors off, and swap lock cylinders without much of a problem?

The biggest issue will be the full doors. I think they have an extra inner membrane/liner that you need to get past as well the windows. Not imposible, but it won't be a 1,2, 3 swap. IIRC the door latch is held on my 3 torx on the back of the door. Once that is removed, the lock cylinder is being held on by a sliding clip.
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
They are Mopar half doors I bought from JeepsAreUs. They are local to me so I was able to pick them up. I dropped them off at a body shop to get painted, then I took them home and put them together (all over a course of a week. They needed time to cure). I used a simple socket set and screw drivers to put them together. Because I put them together I was able to have the whole hinge painted so I wouldn't have a problem with bubbling paint/rusting under the hinge and I was able to install power locks, so my key fob wouldn't be useless.

Total cost (for a 2 door) was 2 grand for the kit, $235 for the paint and 25 bucks to have the lock cylinders keyed. I see the kits have come down a bit, but you will have to kick in some cash to enjoy half doors. To me it was totally worth it and I plan on getting half doors for my new 4 door.
You should post in the half-doors thread.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
You should post in the half-doors thread.
I've read through it from the begining. The OP isn't looking to spend the bucks for Mopar doors, so there isn't much more I could add to the conversation.
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTEDII
What about them?

We are trading doors, so the door locks are the only thing that I need to keep of mine and swap from my doors to his.
Never mind, I had a ******* attack.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeb View Post
Never mind, I had a ******* attack.
I was like lol
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey everyone. In March, I will be trading my full doors with another forum member for his factory half doors. I was curious how hard it will be to swap our door lock mechanisms so we can keep our own key. Would it be easier to have a duplicate key cut for each of us and have an entry key and ignition key? I'm OK with either, but thought I'd see if it was much trouble to swap the locks out. I have an 08 if that makes any difference among the JKs. Thanks
You can google to find the assembly instructions for the half door kits.
Google: K6860781

Note that the lock cylinder is like the very first item installed into the shell.
With the full doors you have the added joy of the window mechanism.

You may not have matching wire harness connecting blocks.
And the half doors likely do not have power latches installed.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
TWISTEDII
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine have manual windows, so I would guess the harness connecting blocks would be the same. It does sound like a bit of work to swap out. I don't really mind having an extra key to open the door and one for the ignition. He mentioned not minding either, so I think I may just do that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.