Door Hinge Rust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Door Hinge Rust?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
machalfdoors
2008 JK Wrangler 

Door Hinge Rust?

I have begun to notice some rust on my door hinges (08JK Unlimited). Mine is Silver, so it is easily seen. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Sorry if this has been discussed in another post.

machalfdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
RAZORBILL
2014 JK Wrangler 

Many of us have the same issue. Some have taken it back to dealership to have them re-painted. Mine aren't too bad right now, no bubbling paint just rust stain from inside the hinge.

I'm hoping for a reasonably priced aftermarket hinge with a bed liner type finish. If not I'll pull 'em off and do it myself.

Welcome to the forum!!
Unread 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
peenkfloeed
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just noticed the same problem ( Bubbling Paint ) on mine and will be taking it to the dealership this weekend. It is on the right front passenger door hinges... top and bottom.
peenkfloeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Avian
2008 JK Wrangler 

I grease mine heavily any time I take the doors off. No problems with mine yet.
Uniden Bearcat CB/PA
Mopar bumper
Moabs/ BFG KM's
Avian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
CapnDik
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine is a silver 08 as well. Same issue.

Go to the dealer, the service manager will need to look at it.
He will then get approval from Chrysler, which might take a few days.
Then, they will probably order new hinges and schedule a time to replace and paint them.
I'm waiting for them to get the hinges in now. (and some windshield bolts that are starting to rust)

They said it will probably take them a few days, and I will not be getting a loaner.
Unread 02-20-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
webhannet
2008 JK Wrangler 

"Jeep Green" - I have bubbling pain on some hinges. The water seems to get between the paint and the metal. I've seen chromed or polished aftermarket hinges, but I worry that the installation might cause other paint problems in the area.
webhannet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
peenkfloeed
2008 JK Wrangler 

I dont need a loaner as long as they can get in the hinges and paint them then I can drop it off on Sat and they replace them... Sucks this is happening to so many ppl.
peenkfloeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
canuckjeepers
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the same problem on my black '07. chrysler told me that if i had removed the doors it voided my warranty and there was nothin they would do about it
canuckjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckjeepers View Post
I have the same problem on my black '07. chrysler told me that if i had removed the doors it voided my warranty and there was nothin they would do about it
Chrysler told you that? You sure it wasn't the dealer? If it was the dealer then have them point it out to you in your warranty handbook. If it was Chrysler then thats messed up.

On a side note mine are doing the same thing. I'm going to wait until my warranty is 1000 miles from going over and then I'll complain about them. While I'm at I'll get them bedlined.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
canuckjeepers
2007 JK Wrangler 

no sorry it was the dealer not chrysler
canuckjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 03:21 AM   #11
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4jkx View Post
Chrysler told you that? You sure it wasn't the dealer? If it was the dealer then have them point it out to you in your warranty handbook. If it was Chrysler then thats messed up.

On a side note mine are doing the same thing. I'm going to wait until my warranty is 1000 miles from going over and then I'll complain about them. While I'm at I'll get them bedlined.
Why bother going and complaining to the dealer if you are going to bed line them? Its not like you can go to the dealer and get them to bedline them under warranty
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #12
Grimscale
2011 JK Wrangler 

I noticed this last year.

I just removed the surface rust with some emery cloth, and I keep it greased with some waterproof marine grease. Re-apply every time I have the doors off.
Grimscale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
2007UnlimitedNJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Same on my Silver 2007 Unlimited Sahara

I have the same issue. The dealer is going to repaint them at N/C under warranty. The dealer says 2-3 days. Since I paid extra for the warranty that provides a rental with them picking up the cost, I am thinking 1-2 days.

I had the same issue on my 1993 Wrangler. It is just what happens on an outside hinge design when it is painted by Chrysler. They need to do it by hand rather than let the production line finish them off.
2007UnlimitedNJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007UnlimitedNJ View Post
I have the same issue. The dealer is going to repaint them at N/C under warranty. The dealer says 2-3 days. Since I paid extra for the warranty that provides a rental with them picking up the cost, I am thinking 1-2 days.

I had the same issue on my 1993 Wrangler. It is just what happens on an outside hinge design when it is painted by Chrysler. They need to do it by hand rather than let the production line finish them off.
Its probably more expensive for chrysler to paint them all by hand than to just do the warranty repainting on the people who bother to bring their Jeep back in.
Bottom line is key, especially for chrysler right now
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
I grease mine heavily any time I take the doors off. No problems with mine yet.
Yep the best bet.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.