Does your automatic lug your motor? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Does your automatic lug your motor?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 2012 doesn't seem to have this problem.

Your description really does sound like an issue with the ECU still thinking you have smaller tires.

justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #17
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin credible View Post
My 2012 doesn't seem to have this problem.

Your description really does sound like an issue with the ECU still thinking you have smaller tires.
I hope this is the case, the reason I have my doubts is because my 2010 WK lugged as well. My fear is that this is the new reality where manufacturers have to wring every bit of efficiency out of every drop of gasoline to the point where they have programmed transmissions to upshift as soon as possible.

I shoulda boughta manual.
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Something to think about... My daughter has an 09 JK which was a dealer demo and actually only driven by the dealerships family members. At some point the transmission was reprogrammed by some knowledgable tech because this JK shifts like no other JK whether 3.8 or 3.6 that I have driven. Un programmed with 35" tires this JK shifts like all JKs should. The slightest touch of the throttle downshifts and it holds gear until the right speed and rpm to maintain momentum.
The downside, this 2 door that shifts so perfectly is harder on gas then my JKU with the same tires.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #19
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

My 2013 Jku all stock with 3.21 gears does the same thing I think its the way it programmed with this Eco crap now . I was playing around with the dash and it looked like you could turn the Eco off or maybe it meant just the Eco that shows on the gauge cluster but I haven't tried it . I wanted to lift mine with 33s but I don't like the way it feels with stock tires so I might hold out until I can swap gears and just go with 35s idk

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'd gladly pay more in gas to have my Jeep be more driveable.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
floridajpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2012 JKUS and when I had my RK 2.5" Max Travel Pro lift installed w/ 35x12.5x17R tires, "I also re-geared to 4:88 under the instruction of my mechanic", it drives a lot better than w/stock 3:73 gears and the stock tires from before. If you go up in tire size and do not re-gear or at least program for tire size, the auto trans bogging down is usually what happens.
I love my 12 JKUS with the 4:88 gears & 35's. I know it may be a little over geared but going to get some axle work & 37's when my 35's are done. I can't wait to go to NC for vacation in the mountains in October.
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #22
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterjeep View Post
I know you said you feel you shouldn't have to, (tap the shifter), but don't let that keep you from managing the transmission as you see fit. It's why the tap shift was programmed into it.

I do it with my 3.8/42RLE, and it's fine. You are way ahead with the engine/transmission in your JK.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I fought this on two TJs with the 42rle auto,hated it.Thats why I bought the 2013 with the 6 sp. Man.That being said I didnt know much about the new 5 sp. autos.But what Ive read they are geared prefectly and kind of thought I should of went that route.So I dont know,but if you regear it will most likely shift at the same rpms.So,it will just shift faster and have a higher freeway rpm.This was my experience with my TJ autos.regeared them both 4.56 and 4.88 with33s.(2004 and 2006).I really like the 6sp. man. I have now,just hope it gives me good service over the long hall.
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #24
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterjeep
If it's worth 14mpg highway to you, as it is us, cool. But unfortunately most anyone getting 14mpg with a 2dr would be livid. Especially when you can get 18 with a JKU on the same tires.

The alternative is to manually shift or what I find works to wake up the computer is just take it out on the freeway once in awhile and hammer it, blow some of that carbon out and relearn the computer. The throttle by wire also plays a part in the shift up/down scenario. Learn to throttle up in a steady motion and not letting up too soon as to have it kick into the next gear too soon.
We run our JKs with factory gears and OD off all the time maintaining constant 2100-2300rpm on the highway which seems to keep the engine happy. I attribute this to the fact that we don't find our JKs to be underpowered with 35s until I try and pull a trailer uphill.
My goal this fall will be to download the advanced transmission shift programming ability for the Superchips and see if I can figure out how to optimize up/down shift patterns.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinline View Post
My 2013 Jku all stock with 3.21 gears does the same thing I think its the way it programmed with this Eco crap now . I was playing around with the dash and it looked like you could turn the Eco off or maybe it meant just the Eco that shows on the gauge cluster but I haven't tried it . I wanted to lift mine with 33s but I don't like the way it feels with stock tires so I might hold out until I can swap gears and just go with 35s idk

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
The ECO display on the dash doesn't actually do anything...its just tells you if you're driving in a relatively fuel efficient manner. Basically a skinny-pedal monitor.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
Don-T
2012 JK Wrangler 

This happened to me when I installed 35s. The Procal fixed it.
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

My AEV arrived today. Can't wait to go home and install it and see if it corrects the problem.
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Three letters: EPA

The computer is probably trying to keep your RPM's low to get better gas mileage (I know it's a Jeep, but....).
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #29
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Came home, unpacked my ProCal and the install was a snap. I had already read the directions online and pre-measured my tires. Took the JK for a spin and it's better. I still feel like the transmission is lugging the motor but not as bad. This is about how it felt stock. I guess I am happy. I may experiment and program a tire that's larger to trick the computer into thinking it has taller tires which may encourage it to hold a gear a bit longer before upshifting. The only downside I can think of is that it will cause my speedometer to be slightly optimistic and register that I have slightly more miles than I actually do on the odometer but I feel that would be worth it.

I do agree that Jeep programmed the transmissions to kinda shift early in the name of gas mileage. My WK was really bad. When you're driving up a fairly steep hill and the motor is struggling at 1200 rpm and you have to nearly floor it to get the transmission to downshift, it's enough to make you trade it in for a 2014 WK2! Oh wait, I did do that...

Anyway, I'm not knockin' the ProCal, it's certainly a great product and did what it advertised to do. My issue was more with how the Jeep behaved from the factory. My next one'll be a manual!
Unread 05-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #30
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just bumping this to see if anyone has more input. Mine still lugs after the procal but I just live with it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.