Does your automatic lug your motor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Does your automatic lug your motor?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Does your automatic lug your motor?

I wish I had stuck with my gut instinct and bought a manual. I have a fairly stock 2012 JK with 33ís and 3.73ís. Iím running slightly larger tires than stock but 33ís and 3.73ís arenít too bad. However, I always feel like the transmission is in a gear higher than it should be, or doesnít downshift when it should, itíll just hold the taller gear and lug the motor up a hill, and I either have to push the gas nearly to the floor at which point, it downshifts, the vehicle surges forward, and then I have to let up and then itíll just upshift again and lug, or I have to manually downshift. Very annoying. The problem is not unique to my JK. I have a 2014 WK2 now which drives fine, but before that I had a 2010 WK and it would do the same thing, the transmission would just lug the motor.

Other than shifting manually all the time, what is the solution to this? Itís very frustrating. I guess I could regear but I donít think this is an issue with the 33ís since I have experienced it both on my JK and my WK. The power is there, the transmission just always seems to hold at a gear too tall.

Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Just tap the stick to the left when you think it should downshift, and to the right when you think it should return to the higher gear.

Even though they call it an automatic, it has a control lever so you can make it do what you want.
ronjenx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

You'd really be hating a 2011 and earlier. I dealt with mine by getting a tuner, keeping OD off, and manually switching to Drive 2 when going up steep hills.
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

No problemo-

My auto works great, even when towing

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
MAKDaddy626
2012 JK Wrangler 

Shift points?

Did you have the upsized tires programmed in to correct the speedo and shift points? Even the small increase can make a difference in the situation you're describing.
MAKDaddy626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

mine holds gears when going up a steep hill, i usually have to let off the gas alittle bit for it to downshift. Other then that I have no other issues with 35s and 3.73 gears (3.6 engine with auto)
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Just tap the stick to the left when you think it should downshift, and to the right when you think it should return to the higher gear.

Even though they call it an automatic, it has a control lever so you can make it do what you want.
This is what I'm doing, I'm just curious as to why I have to do it, the automatic should be "smarter" than it is. Climbing steep hills in 4th gear and the engine is lugging at 1200 rpm? Come on, shouldn't it know to downshift on its own? I know I can tap the lever, but I feel like I shouldn't have to...
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKDaddy626 View Post
Did you have the upsized tires programmed in to correct the speedo and shift points? Even the small increase can make a difference in the situation you're describing.
Good point, but I already thought of this. My 2010 WK was bone stock and still suffered from the same thing. When I drove my 2012 JK stock, it did the same thing, putting 33's on has merely amplified the problem, but the problem was always there. I know the power is adequate, the car just tends to hold a taller gear than is practical at any given time.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would think that a programmer could change your shift points.

But of course it should come new without this problem.

so glad I chose the 6 speed.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If I were you I would get the ProCal from AEV and program for the actual size of your tires measured with the weight of the vehicle on them. I have 35s with 4.10s and donít experience anything that youíre describing.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #11
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

My jeep is the same way. Brutal shift points. Hold gears for ever I need to let off has for it to switch gears.

2010 with 33's and 3:73 gears. Going uphill I need to floor it. And merging on the highway is brutal. I should regear and do the pro cal but no money
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm still rolling stock, but I've never had a lugging problem. This auto has actually been the most precise on gear selection I've ever owned.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The general feeling seems to be that these automatics are all across the board. Some say it's the best shifting transmission ever and some seem to deal with the same issues I'm having. When it's in the proper gear, the Jeep feels great with plenty of power. However, for whatever reason, my transmission seems hell bent on a mission to not let my motor rev above 1500 rpm. I'll have to look into the ProCal, or maybe I'll just regear it in anticipation of 35's anyway. I just hate to do that because it's not a lack of power, it's the stupid transmission always holding a taller gear than it should.

Frustrating, but good to know that I'm not alone in this. Thanks again everyone.
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
My jeep is the same way. Brutal shift points. Hold gears for ever I need to let off has for it to switch gears.

2010 with 33's and 3:73 gears. Going uphill I need to floor it. And merging on the highway is brutal. I should regear and do the pro cal but no money
Not the same.

Mine is 012 jkr auto 4:1 35"s. Even with procal the trans and motor if left in Drive will try to keep the rpms low IF you are not on the right foot. BUT you need recalibrate the tires size.

I can be doing 45-50mph and it will still go to 5th and rpms can be in the 1200rpm range. Its trying to save you on fuel. IF we could reprogram the shift points it would be better to have the trans extend all shift points a bit as the tires get bigger/jeep gets heavier and move that low point up. But no one I have heard of can crack the trans to motor module at least not enough to even be able to program a 4speed atlas wont work in all 012+ W580autos.

with 35"s up steep grades mine shifts early if left in cruise control it shifts much sooner than if I am at the pedal, never an issue with that and 35"s going up hills . But 1-4 if you are light on the gas it will attempt to shift much to soon even with the two step gears that the w580 has.
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

2013 JKU running 35s with 3.73 and reprogrammed with a Procal, no lugging. ATs holding a gear and having to fluctuate the skinny pedal to control shifting is something I've been used to and doing since my first car, a 442. So I could be doing without conscious thought. older trans were more likely to kick down, new ones seem more likely to hold higher gears.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.