Does a HD Steering Stabilizer do anything? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Does a HD Steering Stabilizer do anything?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 11-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Does a HD Steering Stabilizer do anything?

Is a HD Steering Stabilizer a worthless mod or does it actually help?
If it helps, what's the best way to go?

Unread 11-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
TNeustadt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The factory stabilizer is probably wore out by 50,000 miles at best. An OEM replacement is $35-40 and would be fine for another 40,000 miles or so unless you put larger tires on...an aftermarket one such as Bilstein is $79 or so... w/ a lifetime warranty and would be helpful in the future for larger tires. I don't really think there is much of a difference between brands, but definitely a difference between one that is wore out and any new one.
TNeustadt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #3
DANJEEPO8
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't know much about them, but when i saw the size difference between the crappy OEM one and the Skyjacker i have now, i feel a lot safer driving.
That's gotta count for something...

Unread 11-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
PSYCH0
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I have 33" tires on it and a 2" BB so I was wondering if its worth replacing...
Unread 11-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Most of the HD Stabilizer data is HYPE--

For the average to moderate wheeler the stock stab. is fine, you can even disconnect your stock stabilizer and drive all day ON THE STREET and never now the difference-

Now the trouble with Heavy Duty (competition) type Stabs is they put additional load on your STEERING BOX GEARS, SEALS, CONNs--

If you want BLING--paint your stock one Metalic pearl !!

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Most of the HD Stabilizer data is HYPE--

For the average to moderate wheeler the stock stab. is fine, you can even disconnect your stock stabilizer and drive all day ON THE STREET and never now the difference-

Now the trouble with Heavy Duty (competition) type Stabs is they put additional load on your STEERING BOX GEARS, SEALS, CONNs--

If you want BLING--paint your stock one Metalic pearl !!

JIMBO
If they put extra stress on the steering components, why do all the descriptions say that they reduce road shock, therefore extending life of steering components, tie rod ends, ect..?
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They have got to do something or people wouldnt buy them. I see people with aftermarket ones all the time. I would think they only help when you have some serious mods though. A big lift and tires and what not. They are not that expensive and I hear they are very easy to put on. Throw one on and see what happens.
Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You're right, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos85 View Post
They have got to do something or people wouldnt buy them. I see people with aftermarket ones all the time. I would think they only help when you have some serious mods though. A big lift and tires and what not. They are not that expensive and I hear they are very easy to put on. Throw one on and see what happens.
I said avg/mod wheeler-yes as soon as you start modifying the suspension, you accelerate wear on balljoints, bushings-etc

The stabilizer helps MASK any of that, but if you're stock the stab doesn't do anything, of course if you hit a curb, or sudden rut, it will (as a shock) make the blow to the steering -EASY

Remember what I said about the HD stab--wear on steering-

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roos85 View Post
im on 37s and havent had a stabilizer in 5-8 years.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
saharac
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had problems with DW and all said and done the HD Steering Stabilizer helped get rid of it... And you can get a Procomp Steering Stabilizer for about $40 bucks.. So i would say its worth it...
saharac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I bent my 2nd steering stabilizer this weekend and made a 2 hour drive home without one with no problems. I might buy another cheap one like procomps as there is a little difference at slow speeds (kinda jerky feeling when making a turn) but not untell I make a relocation bracket....
If anything just buy a cheap one from 4WP or something and call it done. Can always try without one as well.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have the Bilstein one and its been great. Makes taking those rough roads better..
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 12:04 AM   #13
burntpeak
2014 JK Wrangler 

rock krawler 2.5 max travel may need a steering stabilizer

I just installed my rock krawler 2.5 max travel lift im running 35 inch, bilstein 5100s, and duratracks at 30 psi with stock bumpers and no spare tire, i ordered this lift because of its obvious offroad capability but what really sold me was that every one said it rides better than stock suspension on the road. well... it rides a bit stiiffer witch i like... it tracks very strait witch i like more...but my commute is in the canyon and man my steering is stifffff in the turns at speeds over 25 or 30 mph and when hitting small bumps in those turns i get a little loose, and get play in my steering wheel. Its like the dam thing just wants to track strait and im forcing the wheels to turn. I am a really easy driver in the turns not very agressive i pull over multiple times in the canyon on the way to work to let others by so im not exceeding any limits in the turns... im wandering if the bilstein stabilizer will solve this problem???? any suggestions?
burntpeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
spinlock

Man you really dug deep in the archive to resurect this one but I guess zombies are in style ...

This is a lot of conjecture at this point but it sounds like either your Jeep has too much longitudinal stability built in via Toe-in or Caster angle, or a steering geometry problem. It is hard to add that much Caster without a set of adjustable control arms wich you didn't mention. It also sounds like you are experiencing Bump Steer ( your Jeep steers to one side or the other when you hit a bump).

In either case, a steering stabilizer is not going to solve the first problem.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #15
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't recommend a pressurized stabilizer(Bilstein). They will push the steering to track left on the highway. Unless you run opposing dual stabs and that is overkill. Unless shot, which I doubt unless you smash it off road, the factory stab is fine.

I have no idea why your jeep behaves like you describe, usually the steering is too loose after a lift. Is the esp flashing in turns?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.