JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Does a HD Steering Stabilizer do anything? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/does-hd-steering-stabilizer-do-anything-1125249/)

PSYCH0 11-07-2010 05:56 AM

Does a HD Steering Stabilizer do anything?

Is a HD Steering Stabilizer a worthless mod or does it actually help?
If it helps, what's the best way to go?

TNeustadt 11-07-2010 06:01 AM

The factory stabilizer is probably wore out by 50,000 miles at best. An OEM replacement is $35-40 and would be fine for another 40,000 miles or so unless you put larger tires on...an aftermarket one such as Bilstein is $79 or so... w/ a lifetime warranty and would be helpful in the future for larger tires. I don't really think there is much of a difference between brands, but definitely a difference between one that is wore out and any new one.

DANJEEPO8 11-07-2010 06:20 AM

I don't know much about them, but when i saw the size difference between the crappy OEM one and the Skyjacker i have now, i feel a lot safer driving.
That's gotta count for something...

:cool:

PSYCH0 11-07-2010 06:24 AM

Yeah I have 33" tires on it and a 2" BB so I was wondering if its worth replacing...

JIMBOX 11-07-2010 07:21 AM

:cool: Most of the HD Stabilizer data is HYPE--

For the average to moderate wheeler the stock stab. is fine, you can even disconnect your stock stabilizer and drive all day ON THE STREET and never now the difference-

Now the trouble with Heavy Duty (competition) type Stabs is they put additional load on your STEERING BOX GEARS, SEALS, CONNs--

If you want BLING--paint your stock one Metalic pearl !!

:laugh::laugh: JIMBO

Hellbound13 11-07-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JIMBOX (Post 10411420)
:cool: Most of the HD Stabilizer data is HYPE--

For the average to moderate wheeler the stock stab. is fine, you can even disconnect your stock stabilizer and drive all day ON THE STREET and never now the difference-

Now the trouble with Heavy Duty (competition) type Stabs is they put additional load on your STEERING BOX GEARS, SEALS, CONNs--

If you want BLING--paint your stock one Metalic pearl !!

If they put extra stress on the steering components, why do all the descriptions say that they reduce road shock, therefore extending life of steering components, tie rod ends, ect..?

Wranglin4Life 11-07-2010 10:40 AM

They have got to do something or people wouldnt buy them. I see people with aftermarket ones all the time. I would think they only help when you have some serious mods though. A big lift and tires and what not. They are not that expensive and I hear they are very easy to put on. Throw one on and see what happens.

JIMBOX 11-07-2010 11:44 AM

:cool: You're right, but

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roos85 (Post 10412179)
They have got to do something or people wouldnt buy them. I see people with aftermarket ones all the time. I would think they only help when you have some serious mods though. A big lift and tires and what not. They are not that expensive and I hear they are very easy to put on. Throw one on and see what happens.

I said avg/mod wheeler-yes as soon as you start modifying the suspension, you accelerate wear on balljoints, bushings-etc

The stabilizer helps MASK any of that, but if you're stock the stab doesn't do anything, of course if you hit a curb, or sudden rut, it will (as a shock) make the blow to the steering -EASY

Remember what I said about the HD stab--wear on steering-

fratis 11-07-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roos85 (Post 10412179)

im on 37s and havent had a stabilizer in 5-8 years.

saharac 11-07-2010 03:36 PM

I had problems with DW and all said and done the HD Steering Stabilizer helped get rid of it... And you can get a Procomp Steering Stabilizer for about $40 bucks.. So i would say its worth it...

Warlord2 11-07-2010 06:06 PM

I bent my 2nd steering stabilizer this weekend and made a 2 hour drive home without one with no problems. I might buy another cheap one like procomps as there is a little difference at slow speeds (kinda jerky feeling when making a turn) but not untell I make a relocation bracket....
If anything just buy a cheap one from 4WP or something and call it done. Can always try without one as well.

Hellbound13 11-07-2010 06:27 PM

I have the Bilstein one and its been great. Makes taking those rough roads better..

burntpeak 10-27-2013 11:04 PM

rock krawler 2.5 max travel may need a steering stabilizer

I just installed my rock krawler 2.5 max travel lift im running 35 inch, bilstein 5100s, and duratracks at 30 psi with stock bumpers and no spare tire, i ordered this lift because of its obvious offroad capability but what really sold me was that every one said it rides better than stock suspension on the road. well... it rides a bit stiiffer witch i like... it tracks very strait witch i like more...but my commute is in the canyon and man my steering is stifffff in the turns at speeds over 25 or 30 mph and when hitting small bumps in those turns i get a little loose, and get play in my steering wheel. Its like the dam thing just wants to track strait and im forcing the wheels to turn. I am a really easy driver in the turns not very agressive i pull over multiple times in the canyon on the way to work to let others by so im not exceeding any limits in the turns... im wandering if the bilstein stabilizer will solve this problem???? any suggestions?

spinlock 10-28-2013 04:24 AM

Man you really dug deep in the archive to resurect this one but I guess zombies are in style ...

This is a lot of conjecture at this point but it sounds like either your Jeep has too much longitudinal stability built in via Toe-in or Caster angle, or a steering geometry problem. It is hard to add that much Caster without a set of adjustable control arms wich you didn't mention. It also sounds like you are experiencing Bump Steer ( your Jeep steers to one side or the other when you hit a bump).

In either case, a steering stabilizer is not going to solve the first problem.

krawler510 10-28-2013 04:42 AM

I don't recommend a pressurized stabilizer(Bilstein). They will push the steering to track left on the highway. Unless you run opposing dual stabs and that is overkill. Unless shot, which I doubt unless you smash it off road, the factory stab is fine.

I have no idea why your jeep behaves like you describe, usually the steering is too loose after a lift. Is the esp flashing in turns?

The time now is 04:37 PM.