Does anyone with a Spiderweb Shade live somewhere HOT??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Does anyone with a Spiderweb Shade live somewhere HOT???

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
LukeTXAG
2010 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone with a Spiderweb Shade live somewhere HOT???

So, I am strongly considering a spiderweb shade top for the summer but I live in Houston and it is HOT. My jeep is a hardtop and I've had a bestop bikini top on an old YJ before. I hear that the spiderweb shade blocks 90% of the sun but how does that translate in a really hot climate? It is 93 (feels like 101) right this minute and it's not even the hottest part of the day or the hottest part of the summer yet. Thoughts?

LukeTXAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Metalman
2014 JK Wrangler 

I live in TN and it gets pretty hot here, the spiderweb shade makes it not only bearable but even pleasant! Its like sitting under a shade tree. I had it on riding around on a hot sunny day and I thought it wasn't really that bad so I took the shade off. That lasted 5 minutes, then I was putting the shade back on, made a huge difference.
Metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

I live in Las Vegas, couldn't imagine my Jeep without it. Actually drove through Death Valley with it last weekend (122F...don't ask why). I'd say it probably the best sub $100 mod you can do for your Jeep.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
n3tfury

Mine's coming today, and I'm in Arizona. I know a couple of folks that have them here and it certainly helps according to them. I won't know till next week, but the top's coming off this weekend.
n3tfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
MEYJR
2013 JK Wrangler 

I decided to go with the Dirty Dog over the Spiderweb for a couple reasons. One it looked to block a little less sun out and 2 it comes in 2 pieces so I can take the front off but still have the back on for wife or son. I just got it last week and LOVE IT! I am in Dallas area and it was HOT yesterday. My Jeep said 105 as I was driving thru downtown Dallas and yes it was hot but very bearable. I think it is the perfect combination of blocking the sun but still letting some light and air thru. It cost a little more than the Spiderweb but for me it was worth it. From all I have read you can't go wrong with either one.

2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sport, Deep Cherry Red, 2.5" Lift, American Racing ATX Thug Wheels, 35x12.5/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
MEYJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
Wrangler44
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the spiderweb shade as well!! I love it, I live in Long Island, NY. Not to Hott out here yet but it was last year and it helped out more than a lot. I like it b.c you can still see through the mesh, air flow still happens. It's just enough to block the sun out and sit at red lights roasting in 100+!!
Wrangler44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
towel33
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeTXAG View Post
So, I am strongly considering a spiderweb shade top for the summer but I live in Houston and it is HOT. My jeep is a hardtop and I've had a bestop bikini top on an old YJ before. I hear that the spiderweb shade blocks 90% of the sun but how does that translate in a really hot climate? It is 93 (feels like 101) right this minute and it's not even the hottest part of the day or the hottest part of the summer yet. Thoughts?
It's 110 in Phoenix, AZ still no doors and my spider shade...its still hot, but it's not direct hot like it was last year without it.
towel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

works for the heat in florida, just not the damn rain.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
just not the rain.
I run with my OEM (one piece) top minus the doors, surrounds and windows all summer. Is there an advantage to the spider/bikini top that I don't know of?

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've had the spiderweb shade for a couple of years now. I live in Oklahoma, just north of you. If you've followed our weather the last couple of years, we've been routinely in the 110 to 115 degrees range during the summer. I used my jeep all summer because of the webshade. It's a great product that I won't ever be without. It also keeps my bald head from burning.
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
I run with my OEM (one piece) top minus the doors, surrounds and windows all summer. Is there an advantage to the spider/bikini top that I don't know of?
No, not really for someone with a soft top....but if you have a hard top its amazing. Carry a 5x7 tarp with some bungies for those times you get caught in a downpour....our JK with the softop goes without the doors and rear windows all summer....have never run it without the door surrounds though.
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
buns79
2013 JK Wrangler 

We have one and have had one on all of our previous jeeps too, we live in Illinois and it regularly get in the upper 90s in the summer and were in Florida several times a yr. and I couldn't imagine not having it there great!
2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Do they carry a spider shade for fog???
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius View Post
Do they carry a spider shade for fog???
it actually gets warm enough where you live to have fog?
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Lol, that's all we get is fog! Foggier than London, England most of the time, lol.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.