post #1 of Old 08-06-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
second2none
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frisco
Posts: 18
Do It Yourself Jeep Modifications - Pics (and a THANK YOU)

For all of you that have the knowledge, skill and tools to do your own mods, I encourage you to share your skill with others who are eager to learn. I wanted to post this as a major thank you to "BroncoJohn" for doing exactly that. After posting requests for help with some work (replacing my fender flares), he responded and graciously opened up his home garage for the work. He not only had the patience to let me assist in the process, but he taught me a ton along the way. The biggest thing I left with other than a great looking set of flares, was the confidence to try other mods on my own and know that if I go wrong, there is someone I can call for help. Taking the time to teach others as well as sharing your skill and passion for working on rigs is something many of you have the power to do and people like me appreciate it and welcome the opportunity to extend our own abilities in the garage.

I know some of you have gone over to John's house and done a recent gear swap among other work. If you are looking for a mechanic for any job, you really should contact John. You won't find a better guy. Since working with him last week, I installed a stubby bumper and winch this week in my own garage and can't wait to keep going.

Thanks John


second2none is offline  
post #2 of Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 PM
SubAtomicGenius
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,008
Way to go secondtonone, and compliments to BroncoJohn for sharing his garage and knowledge! Great to get under your own rig and learn how it ticks, isn't it? She's a beauty, by the way!
SubAtomicGenius is offline  
post #3 of Old 08-06-2012, 04:45 PM
krutj
Web Wheeler
 
krutj's Avatar
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,332
Congrats on a great looking JK....It's a Jeep thing, the forum, the help, the wave, etc.

-- Joel --
krutj is offline  
post #4 of Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 PM
ZeroGravity
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by second2none View Post
For all of you that have the knowledge, skill and tools to do your own mods, I encourage you to share your skill with others who are eager to learn. I wanted to post this as a major thank you to "BroncoJohn" for doing exactly that. After posting requests for help with some work (replacing my fender flares), he responded and graciously opened up his home garage for the work. He not only had the patience to let me assist in the process, but he taught me a ton along the way. The biggest thing I left with other than a great looking set of flares, was the confidence to try other mods on my own and know that if I go wrong, there is someone I can call for help. Taking the time to teach others as well as sharing your skill and passion for working on rigs is something many of you have the power to do and people like me appreciate it and welcome the opportunity to extend our own abilities in the garage.

I know some of you have gone over to John's house and done a recent gear swap among other work. If you are looking for a mechanic for any job, you really should contact John. You won't find a better guy. Since working with him last week, I installed a stubby bumper and winch this week in my own garage and can't wait to keep going.

Thanks John

I don't mind helping out my friends with their stuff one bit, but it's hard to find time away from fixing my own ****

91 YJ
98 XJ
2 door love
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline  
post #5 of Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 PM
nickmonaco
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Campbell
Posts: 1,139
Hey what lift and tire size you runnin on that black Rubi?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

WHITE JEEP CLUB #171

My other Jeep's not a Chrysler.
nickmonaco is offline  
post #6 of Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
second2none
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frisco
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmonaco View Post
Hey what lift and tire size you runnin on that black Rubi?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
I installed a RockKrawler 2.5" coil lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks and I am running 315/70/17 Duratracs on Method Race MR301 Matte Black 17x8.5 wheels.

Here is another pic from a little different angle....


second2none is offline  
post #7 of Old 08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
jeeptrix
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 383
I was just admiring how much I like your front bumper, and then I realized I have the same one, only significantly more weathered

Which fairlead mount is that? I like it a lot more than mine. I take it they are universal?

2009 Wrangler Sport JKU: 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ/17" Pro Comp Xtreme Wheels/ 3" BDS Lift/4:88 gears/ARB Lockers/ARB Air Compressor/Rugged Ridge Front Bumper/ Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch/Cold Air Intake/Borla Dual Exhaust/Tuffy Underseat Security and Trunk Enclosure/etc. etc. etc.
jeeptrix is offline  
post #8 of Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 PM
nickmonaco
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Campbell
Posts: 1,139
That's about how I want mine to sit when I can afford it. Here it is now. I'm gonna wear out my 32's before I do anything though.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Attached Thumbnails
image-2607772636.jpg   image-1277147965.jpg   image-3501889282.jpg  

WHITE JEEP CLUB #171

My other Jeep's not a Chrysler.
nickmonaco is offline  
post #9 of Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 PM
nickmonaco
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Campbell
Posts: 1,139
I'm trying to go cheap too. Next goal is chopping my stock bumper down and possibly either prepping for a winch or maybe some lights.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

WHITE JEEP CLUB #171

My other Jeep's not a Chrysler.
nickmonaco is offline  
post #10 of Old 08-07-2012, 01:11 AM
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson
Posts: 13,239
Great story and kudos to BroncoJohn for helping you out and giving you the confidence to do your own future mods. So whatís next on your list?
1222 is offline  
post #11 of Old 08-07-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
second2none
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frisco
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptrix View Post
I was just admiring how much I like your front bumper, and then I realized I have the same one, only significantly more weathered

Which fairlead mount is that? I like it a lot more than mine. I take it they are universal?
It is just the Aluminum Fairlead Mount that came in the box with the Recon 10,500 winch.
second2none is offline  
post #12 of Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
second2none
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frisco
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Great story and kudos to BroncoJohn for helping you out and giving you the confidence to do your own future mods. So whatís next on your list?
Next is the Rear XHD bumper to match the front as well as the matching tire carrier.
second2none is offline  
post #13 of Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson
Posts: 13,239
Looking forward to seeing a write-up on the installs, you are going to do one and take pics arenít you?
1222 is offline  
post #14 of Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
second2none
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frisco
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Looking forward to seeing a write-up on the installs, you are going to do one and take pics arenít you?
I probably need to...I just get busy starting something in the garage and don't want to stop to take pics, write, etc.
second2none is offline  
post #15 of Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson
Posts: 13,239
I know how that goes; it happens to me a lot, though I regret it later.
1222 is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Recent jeep modifications BeepTheJeep Wrangler General Discussion 1 08-17-2010 05:22 AM
Looking for advice modifications, Our first jeep! g025256 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 4 02-17-2009 03:50 PM
Some Modifications (Pics) onlyone JK Wrangler Technical Forum 33 01-02-2008 10:31 PM
Jeep Rubicon Modifications zer010gic TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 16 02-14-2007 09:11 PM
Jeep modifications booker's01jeep TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 06-12-2004 04:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome