Do we really need the heat shield--- - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By laybackman
  • 1 Post By jwmbishop
  • 1 Post By 63expert
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
mytjtoy
CJ--my drug of choice!
 
mytjtoy's Avatar
1976 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 646
Do we really need the heat shield---

on the muffler? Thing is driving me crazy and have tried twice now to get it to be secured somehow. Would like to just tear the damn thing out. How important is it really?


Never say "I've got a gun." If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.

The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
mytjtoy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Psycho-X-Jeep
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytjtoy View Post
on the muffler? Thing is driving me crazy and have tried twice now to get it to be secured somehow. Would like to just tear the damn thing out. How important is it really?
Is the heat shield on the muffler? Isn't it supposed to be attached to the body above the muffler? Its very thin material so you should be able to bend it however you like to get it out of the way of anything. I don't have any of the heat shielding, but I have a completely different exhaust (MBRP offroad), so I have no idea if it would cause you any issues. My first thought would be, 'rip it out!' Bbut that's just me.

BTW: Love your signature!

Call me Eddo
09 JKUR
13 WK2 Trailhawk
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
mytjtoy
CJ--my drug of choice!
 
mytjtoy's Avatar
1976 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 646
Thanks on the sig comment. Ya it is attached to the body above the stock exhaust and one side has fallen down and of course the hole int he shield is oblong now and I am about ready to rip the damn thing out of there however, the gas tank is right above it. I was hoping others would say they ripped theirs out years ago and are still alive!

Never say "I've got a gun." If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.

The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
mytjtoy is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Kiwi Jeeper
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytjtoy View Post
Thanks on the sig comment. Ya it is attached to the body above the stock exhaust and one side has fallen down and of course the hole int he shield is oblong now and I am about ready to rip the damn thing out of there however, the gas tank is right above it. I was hoping others would say they ripped theirs out years ago and are still alive!
Gas tank above muffler in a JK? I don't think so. Gas tank in between the right front and right rear wheels (under the middle). Whats above the muffler in the back is the storage tray under the carpet. Which heatshield are you talking about specifically?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

'12 JK Rubicon V6 3.6L
'15 KL Trailhawk V6 3.2L
Kiwi Jeeper is online now  
post #5 of 11 Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 7,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytjtoy View Post
Thanks on the sig comment. Ya it is attached to the body above the stock exhaust and one side has fallen down and of course the hole int he shield is oblong now and I am about ready to rip the damn thing out of there however, the gas tank is right above it. I was hoping others would say they ripped theirs out years ago and are still alive!

Mine drove me nuts rattling...it now resides on top of a large cabinet in my garage and has been there for a few years. No more rattling!
wilgeno likes this.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2017, 01:47 AM
BROWNING3250CAL
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Greater Vancouver area
Posts: 100
I trashed the stock muffler and heat shield and threw a glass pack on.
BROWNING3250CAL is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 07-14-2017, 04:21 AM
Dead-On
Registered User
2017 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohiopyle/Pittsburgh
Posts: 285
On my 2013 JKU mine started rattling within a year or two. My mechanic said it wasn't necessary and I took it off and threw it away.

I'm betting the same thing will happen to my 2017 JKU.
Dead-On is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 07-14-2017, 08:59 AM
cranbiz
Moderator
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,593
Glad to hear this. Mine has broken loose and so far, I just shoved it back up. I don't keep anything that is heat sensitive in that bin so off it comes.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
cranbiz is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 07:50 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator
 
jwmbishop's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Corsicana, TX
Posts: 7,484
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-On View Post
My mechanic said it wasn't necessary and I took it off and threw it away.
Yea, mechanics know more than them stupid engineers - ask any mechanic and they will give you a whole list of parts that just waste money and serve no purpose.

The oblong hole is easily approached with fender washers. A dab of copper (hi temp) silicone in the right spot goes a long way towards taking out the sound board effect as well as contact rattles.

The heat shield is there so that sitting idling in traffic you don't boil whatever is in that little access space under the floor.

So if you never sit idling and never put anything that could be a problem if heated (like aerosol - fix a flat, wd40 etc) in that space - your mechanic is correct YOU don't need it - the extra floor heat is behind you and the JK A/C is adequate... but personally MY MECHANIC tendency is to FIX - not throw away offending parts. Don't think I could spend my money at any shop that would advise me that I could just throw away parts as they aren't necessary. I mean after all the reality is - you don't need that turn signal stalk either - just roll down the window and hand signal....
Wonk likes this.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...
jwmbishop is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 01:32 PM
63expert
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Beckley
Posts: 35
Garage
I fixed mine because I wanted it to continue to insulate the body.

Do you need it?

How hot is too hot for that panel???
Goatdog62 likes this.
63expert is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 AM
cranbiz
Moderator
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
Yea, mechanics know more than them stupid engineers - ask any mechanic and they will give you a whole list of parts that just waste money and serve no purpose.

The oblong hole is easily approached with fender washers. A dab of copper (hi temp) silicone in the right spot goes a long way towards taking out the sound board effect as well as contact rattles.

The heat shield is there so that sitting idling in traffic you don't boil whatever is in that little access space under the floor.

So if you never sit idling and never put anything that could be a problem if heated (like aerosol - fix a flat, wd40 etc) in that space - your mechanic is correct YOU don't need it - the extra floor heat is behind you and the JK A/C is adequate... but personally MY MECHANIC tendency is to FIX - not throw away offending parts. Don't think I could spend my money at any shop that would advise me that I could just throw away parts as they aren't necessary. I mean after all the reality is - you don't need that turn signal stalk either - just roll down the window and hand signal....

More good points. As I have a security box in the back and nothing in that cubby, a possible solution might be to line that compartment with insulation if I can't fix the heat shield. I haven't looked at it all that close yet.

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KO2's P305/65R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
cranbiz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome