Do I need a new Drive Shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Do I need a new Drive Shaft?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Steel02001
2010 JK Wrangler 

Do I need a new Drive Shaft?

I've received different opinions so I thought I would put this out there in hopes of getting a few more opinions or even someone with issue.

I ordered a 3.4" Rock Krawler lift for my 2010 Unlimited. I have been told the front drive shaft will rub at 3" and I have heard you dont need to worry until you get over 4".

So, thoughts on whether or not I will need to purchase a heavy duty drive shaft?

Steel02001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

Depending on how far your front shocks allow the axle to drop, you will have to notch the front skid plate. Also, if you have an auto, replace the metal clamp on the front of the boot of the front ds with a zip tie, I also trimmed the transmission pan lip for more clearance. With these couple of mods, you should be ok.
Unread 09-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
gmorgan

I had to replace my rear shaft with a 4" lift the shaft fell apart now I have a TOMWOODS shaft and it's great
101_3443.jpg  
gmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

It may rub but I wouldn't go out spending the money on an aftermarket shaft immediately. I've been running 4" of lift with the stock DS for 40,000 miles now. I tore the boot off of it around 20k miles and its been fine since. In retrospect had I known I probably would have done the couple of little mods Crasher talked about.
Unread 09-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
ariesen

what about with the AEV 4.5 lift? need new front shaft? and/or rear shaft?
ariesen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

I don't know if 4 1/2" would require a new front shaft or not. It would be getting close to it's limits with the suspension fully extended. another issue comes up with a double cardon shaft up front. If you adjust the arms for 5 degree or higher of castor, the pinion angle will be off enough to vibrate. Vibration feeding into the 241 tc is a bad thing. They have been known to explode from that. On the other hand, if you adjust for pinion angle, you might be near 3 degrees of castor and have a flighty ride. A few JKs, mine included, handles fine w/3 degrees, but many do not. When lifting to the point that you need a double cardon ds, you end up compromising between pinion angle and castor. That's the reason I went with a 3" lift. I will run the stock shafts until the give up and then replace them with another pair of stock shafts that you can pick up for $150.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Steel02001
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help all, I will wait on buying a heavy duty shaft until I need too. And to think, I was starting to wonder if I should have gone with 2.5" of lift rather than 3.5". Phew
Steel02001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
drive shaft , JK Wrangler , lift angles , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.